Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

what have you found to be the best workouts?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default what have you found to be the best workouts?

i'm trying to work on my arms (biceps/triceps) and abs as they are currently my weak points IMO.

i know a lot of guys on here work out and will probably be able to help so i figured i'd ask for your advice.

i used to go to the gym and have a personal trainer that would kick my ***. i don't have a gym membership any more though and most of the work-outs i did with him were all on machines, so this now poses a problem for me.. i have edit: dumbbells at my house that i can use though.

just wondering what you guys have personally found to be the most beneficial work outs. everyone knows there's a million different work outs out there so i'm just curious which ones you guys would recommend?

also doesn't have to be just arm/ab work outs, that's just what i want to focus on at the moment. but i could use an all around work out as well

thanks guys!

Adam - Slocum Racing
95 lt1 a4. 355, forged JE dish pistons, LE2 heads, custom LE cam, supporting mods, full Slocum Racing suspension and cage, t70 turbo.

4L60E: 3 me: 0 | 10-bolt: 1 me: 0 | Opti: 5 me: 0 | turbo: 1 me: 0

Last edited by boostedlt1; 06-03-2011 at 07:54 PM..
boostedlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

i would highly suggest just sticking to the basics such as barbell curls, dumbell curls, hammer curls for biceps...

For triceps you cant beat skullcrushers, close grip bench presses.

You just need to keep changing up your workouts. I have been doin giant sets lately. Basically giant sets you do 4 exercises one after another. For example do barbell curls, then immediately go into another bicep exercise, then another exercise..etc..etc..

Tuned by Cory@ Henderson Performance

2002 Z/28- SOLD
TXZ28LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 70

German Volume training is stupid intense. What they say about limping 3-4 days after a leg workout is true.

It is proven, been around for years. Awesome workout.
lemons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
i would highly suggest just sticking to the basics such as barbell curls, dumbell curls, hammer curls for biceps...

For triceps you cant beat skullcrushers, close grip bench presses.
^^This.
Also, pushups & pull-ups will kick your *** but it's fun seeing the improvement you've made.

I used to start my Tris workout with dips & end with close-grip bench (elbows in). Since you don't have access to a gym, try to replicate these workouts with dumbbells, around your house. Skull-crushers are also great for your Tris.

Abs, I honestly don't focus on much anymore. But I was doing a ton of crunches, bicycle crunches, and leg lifts. Running helped a lot too.

You're not as limited, without a gym membership, as you think. You can work out your entire upper body with just a set of dumbbells & an adjustable bench. It doesn't sound like you're too focused on strengthening your lower body, so the above should satisfy you.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

P90x ?

2002 Trans am red m6 T-top stock for now weekend crusing FIRST LS1 owner ( Havent update sig for 3+ years, its SOLD !
killagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

your abs are probably covered by fat also even if your not very fat, start doing an hour of cardio 3 times per week. Also try a low carb diet go go with that thats high on protein. I know thats what i did when my abs were looking their best, they were not even that strong its just there was no fat covering them at all so they looked really defined.

For bulk you want to do lots of weight and lower reps, that will help build mass. Search for a guy named "Scooby" or something like scooby workouts on youtube, he always has his shirts off in his videos. he has a lot of very good tips on working out and at home workouts.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

I work at 2 different gyms, one private to a resort, as well as LA Fitness, so I will give some input.

First things first, Are you trying to build or cut/tone?
Scott97LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
LS1Tech Administrator
1998 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 3

Generall before a workout I'll run outside real quick and grab a rabbit, squirrel or sometimes a stray cat. Really any sort of yard meat will do, whatever happens to be scampering around is fine. The important thing is that you take in some protein and, as an added bonus, chasing your pray is a great warm-up before lifting.

As for the actual workout routine, I'm too cheap to pay for a gym membership or to buy the machines. I stick to free weights, which somewhat limits what I can do, but it's still entirely possibile to build a strong upper body this way. Super sets, as mentioned above, are a great suggestion....I do that for about half of my routine.

Previous LSx Vehicles:
2002 Camaro Z28 | 2000 Trans Am WS6 | 1999 Camaro Z28
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Here they are, take the time to watch these and his other videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheCchftswc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xRTID478I
Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Generall before a workout I'll run outside real quick and grab a rabbit, squirrel or sometimes a stray cat. Really any sort of yard meat will do, whatever happens to be scampering around is fine. The important thing is that you take in some protein and, as an added bonus, chasing your pray is a great warm-up before lifting.

As for the actual workout routine, I'm too cheap to pay for a gym membership or to buy the machines. I stick to free weights, which somewhat limits what I can do, but it's still entirely possibile to build a strong upper body this way. Super sets, as mentioned above, are a great suggestion....I do that for about half of my routine.

Actually free weights are much better for building than guided machines, as it allows you to focus your stabalizing muscles for that group as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Here they are, take the time to watch these and his other videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheCchftswc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xRTID478I

Scooby is the man! ive recommended, and used his videos as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

insanity is really good
My hooker is extremely loud and raspy now.
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott97LT1 View Post
Scooby is the man! ive recommended, and used his videos as well.
he really is, you are getting hundreds of dollars worth of information in his videos. Most trainers at the gym probably dont know 50% of what this guy knows. I need to catch up with some of his newer videos.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Ill just throw something out there of what I do.

Get yourself a stability ball to match your body size, the bigger or taller you are, the bigger the ball. These are great for quite a few ab routines, as my favorite one is the jack knife.

Jack knife: Rolling out on your hands in pushup position, legs extended and both feet on the stability ball. To do the movement, you must keep your arms stabil, your core at a slight upward bend, and roll your knees into your chest while maintaining the upwards bend (No slouching your back)

Those take some practice to get balanced but it is an excelent ab workout which i incorperate every other workout.

Along side those I do weighted crunches, 3 sets of 25-30 1 left, 1 center, and 1 right side. in which the last set you are just barely able to finish off.

Now there are other parts to the routine that target obliques exc, but those are done with machines within a gym. Of course there are other ways to target them on your own, but to really get everything out of your workout, a gym is the way to go.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

and another thing, getting in shape is 70% diet, 30% working out... no if ands or buts about it. Thats not to say slack off on your workouts and eat good.. it is still essential if you want to get anywhere.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
First things first, Are you trying to build or cut/tone?

just cut/tone abs, and somewhat built arms, not crazy big though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
your abs are probably covered by fat also even if your not very fat, start doing an hour of cardio 3 times per week. Also try a low carb diet go go with that thats high on protein. I know thats what i did when my abs were looking their best, they were not even that strong its just there was no fat covering them at all so they looked really defined.

For bulk you want to do lots of weight and lower reps, that will help build mass. Search for a guy named "Scooby" or something like scooby workouts on youtube, he always has his shirts off in his videos. he has a lot of very good tips on working out and at home workouts.
you would be correct, my abs are covered with fat! that's unfortunately where all my fat is stored.. haha i used to be super active, i played tennis and basketball both almost everyday, after i graduated i stopped, but i'm sure if i can get rid of the fat i'll have SOMETHING there i was planning on switching off between the weights and cadio, weights one day, cardio the next.

thanks for the video info, i'll definitely be watching those!

Quote:
Along side those I do weighted crunches, 3 sets of 25-30 1 left, 1 center, and 1 right side. in which the last set you are just barely able to finish off.
that's actually what i'm doing right now, i was doing sets of 35-40 though, would you recommend i bump up the weight and decrease the reps?

thanks for all the info guys! i'll definitely be using it!

as far as diet, i try to eat healthy, now that i'm starting to work out i'm trying to get some more protein in my diet. any vitamins/supplements you guys would recommend?

Adam - Slocum Racing
95 lt1 a4. 355, forged JE dish pistons, LE2 heads, custom LE cam, supporting mods, full Slocum Racing suspension and cage, t70 turbo.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Village Idiot
1992 Lexus SC

All out Sprints (100 yard dashes) run them slightly up hill repeatedly until everything hurts. Take a minute or two breather between each run.. Do that everyday for 30 minutes if the body and heart can hold up and you will get stacked and fit in a hurry..

That is a very intense work out that builds core strength too, and you'll also get very fast and quick!!! The key is that you must run it at 100% effort every time..

Swimming sprints in the pool will gas you out too and get you lean. Combine both with a little bit of weight training and you can't go wrong. HOUSE!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

sounds intense... i like.

i'm assuming swimming sprints are just swimming all out back and forth? i'll have to check the temp of my pool tomorrow

Adam - Slocum Racing

Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

If your trying to bulk your arms, do everything in slow concentrated reps. standing dumbell curls and hammer curls I have found to be very effective as I am now at 17 inch biceps with roughly 5% body fat.

Keep your back strait, and head focused forward. not up, not down.

When doing your reps, try to keep from throwing your own body weight into it and focus all of it into your arms.

Hold each rep at peak for 2 seconds and release slowly.

Rinse and repeat.

**Alternate your workouts, never keep doing the same routine everytime or you will hit a plateue.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

by alternate do you mean like have two/three sets of work outs and just alternate between those? or just constantly change it up and not have a "set" schedule? i'm afraid if i do that i'll lose track what of what i need to do.. lol

edit: in my op i accidently said i have barbells, unfortunately i can't find my barbell at the moment, what i meant to say was dumbbells*

Adam - Slocum Racing

Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement