The best beater cars thread - LS1TECH

Log In 


The best beater cars thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
allbaugh_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,521
Default The best beater cars thread

I'm looking for a new beater. I want something that does better than 20mpg city ('99 grand prix)

http://www.ridelust.com/15-beater-ca...nt-disappoint/

How accurate is this list? I'd say there are some good candidates on there.
allbaugh_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (12)
 
jbridwelltransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 560
Default

I've got the sentra they have on that list. Paid 800 for it with 146k miles single owner. I average 35 mpg and Havn't had to do a single thing to the car. I love it.
jbridwelltransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Banned
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 593
Default

i dont know why you'd give up what you got? any of these other cars will feel slow compared to what you drive now. you've got a solid, reliable car with the 3.8 (unless you got the SE....) hell, thats why I bought my 94. reliable and cheap.

if you picked any, I'd take the GEO. I think they started in 1990. We had a 91 metro that we put 300k on the first engine and sold it after we got about 150 on the second. solid 50's on fuel
71novaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
allbaugh_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71novaguy View Post
i dont know why you'd give up what you got? any of these other cars will feel slow compared to what you drive now. you've got a solid, reliable car with the 3.8 (unless you got the SE....) hell, thats why I bought my 94. reliable and cheap.

if you picked any, I'd take the GEO. I think they started in 1990. We had a 91 metro that we put 300k on the first engine and sold it after we got about 150 on the second. solid 50's on fuel
It does fine, a lot better than other cars.

I've just been thinking a diesel VW might be a better choice, almost double the mileage. I know some of the newer TDI Jettas are plagued with issues. I just don't know if all of them are.
allbaugh_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
TECH Addict
iTrader: (14)
 
djsanchez2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Simi Valley, CA.
Posts: 2,730
Default

I was in the market for a diesel Rabbit/Caddy/etc. before i got my Miata DD, they seem to have a solid drive train, but the bodies literally fall apart around the enigne/trans

If i were to find a solid Diesel Caddy I would trade my Miata for it on the spot.


50mpg + 30gal tank mod = 1500miles between fill-ups
djsanchez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
9 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
willizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Joliet,IL and Las Vegas 50/50
Posts: 1,227
Default

335xi, best beater ever!!
willizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 502
Default

I'm surprised the first gen Neon made the list over the second gen.

The second gens are dirt cheap and don't suffer the dreaded head gasket woes the first gens had.

As for second gen Taurus', I guess the author doesn't think the whole "the engine will catch fire because of poor fueling system seal design" is a deal killer.

I'm also surprised the Ford Escort or the Dodge Shadow did not make that list.
Dan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
allbaugh_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsanchez2 View Post
I was in the market for a diesel Rabbit/Caddy/etc. before i got my Miata DD, they seem to have a solid drive train, but the bodies literally fall apart around the enigne/trans

If i were to find a solid Diesel Caddy I would trade my Miata for it on the spot.

50mpg + 30gal tank mod = 1500miles between fill-ups
See, that's what I'm talking about
allbaugh_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsanchez2 View Post
I was in the market for a diesel Rabbit/Caddy/etc. before i got my Miata DD, they seem to have a solid drive train, but the bodies literally fall apart around the enigne/trans

If i were to find a solid Diesel Caddy I would trade my Miata for it on the spot.


50mpg + 30gal tank mod = 1500miles between fill-ups

When you said diesel Caddy, I was thinking more along the lines of:



And was thinking, this guy must be insane for trading in a Miata on a Cadillac with the worst motor GM ever made in it.
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
AronZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 1,677
Default

Anyways, some of those options on that list are pretty whack IMO:

Late 90's/early 2000's Korean cars are pieces of junk that have been completely ragged out by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners. I've never seen one that wasn't beat to hell, and it was a pos to start with new.

Same thing with the 90's VW. Pieces of junk, there is a reason you don't see them on the road anywhere, nobody is going to pay BMW, Benz, Audi prices to maintain an economy car.

Ford Taurus, that car has been a total dog ever since it was introduced.


Something they didn't put on the list is the 80's-90's Toyota pickup. You can get a decent 2wd model for $2500, expect to pay double or triple for any 4wd model in the same condition.

They put the Bonneville on there, but should've put the LeSabre/Park Avenue on there as well. Usually you can find these for cheap that were owned by dead senior citizens, and old people really take care of their stuff.
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
TECH Resident
 
lt1slowz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: T E X A S
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
Anyways, some of those options on that list are pretty whack IMO:

Late 90's/early 2000's Korean cars are pieces of junk that have been completely ragged out by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners. I've never seen one that wasn't beat to hell, and it was a pos to start with new.

Same thing with the 90's VW. Pieces of junk, there is a reason you don't see them on the road anywhere, nobody is going to pay BMW, Benz, Audi prices to maintain an economy car.

Ford Taurus, that car has been a total dog ever since it was introduced.


Something they didn't put on the list is the 80's-90's Toyota pickup. You can get a decent 2wd model for $2500, expect to pay double or triple for any 4wd model in the same condition.


They put the Bonneville on there, but should've put the LeSabre/Park Avenue on there as well. Usually you can find these for cheap that were owned by dead senior citizens, and old people really take care of their stuff.
this... in afghanistan they are by far the most popular vehicle. carry insane loads over the worst terrain I have ever been around with the worst operators in the world.


that or the venerable corolla.
lt1slowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Launching!
 
versz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 211
Default

you seriously cant go wrong getting a VW golf rabbit or thing >.> even the VW bus was on BullRun don't that count for something?

If you cant go German don't go Korean... Geo Tracker? Is there anywhere they won't go? We took a 3 cylinder 5 speed 4 wheel drive down in the woods with a 30 pack and windows and heat with a polaris RazR following us. Guess who was warm and dry at the end of this field trip through a forest?

If your specifically looking for a good little sedan.. Saturn or Chevy Malibu. we had a chevy impala 3.9L that got 30 MPG and still made noise like an angry vaccum cleaner. It gave off that "Im a v8 I SWEAR!" sound.
versz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
Catmaigne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stewart View Post
As for second gen Taurus', I guess the author doesn't think the whole "the engine will catch fire because of poor fueling system seal design" is a deal killer.
The 3rd and 4th gens are much better cars, especially if you get the 3.0 DOHC V6 with 200hp. I got a 98 Mercury Sable LS with that engine and 140k on the clock... the thing could pace with my friend's manual 300ZX 2+2. Grandma's $300 car had a good bit of pickup and was damn near indestructible. Infinite burnouts.
Catmaigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (39)
 
litemup02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,647
Default

I figured a Honda would be up on the list...i picked up a 98 Accord awhile back and like it alot (as a beater) 4cyl 5 sp. gets around 30 mpg.. Its faster, hauls more people and gets 5 more mpg's than the S-10 it replaced. Just be careful, when that Vtec kicks in...its no joke
litemup02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 21,495
Default

My second gen Accent got 35-40 mpgs regularly and was super easy to work on maintain.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
Captain Double Post
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Elyria Ohio
Posts: 1,664
Default

im looking for a new dd, just dont know what to get
BOBS99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #17
TECH Addict
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,121
Default

^ I am too.. always wanted an S10 but theyre so damn small...
ANTICOP RAM AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #18
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
allbaugh_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,521
Default

I agree. The le sabre should be on there.
allbaugh_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #19
TECH Addict
iTrader: (21)
 
TheSilverOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 2,198
Default

90% of those cars aren't on the road up here anymore due to rust
TheSilverOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (11)
 
87silverbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Slidell,LA
Posts: 4,873
Default

I bought an 01 cavalier for the wife to commute (40mile one way to work) with. I bought it not knowing what was wrong with it. It had a few bent valves. I replaced the head with a reman and had to replace the pushrods and gaskets. Runs like a dream and it runs forever damn near on its 14 gallon tank.

Car 350
Head 175
pushrods 40
gaskets 60
total 625 bucks and 30+mpg
87silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Daily/Beater AND Weekend Toy FlyinOn4Wheels Vehicles Wanted 5 04-24-2014 12:07 PM
Space heater for cars? LSPowered Racer's Lounge 41 02-02-2014 01:36 PM
How many miles on your daily beater? NXPRSS Racer's Lounge 77 02-10-2011 08:27 PM
jegs supercharger: worth it or not? Vette beater Forced Induction 18 12-19-2007 09:27 PM
Letting car idle (winter beater) to warm up - is it bad for it? MeanWS6 Racer's Lounge 14 02-24-2005 08:30 PM


Tags
03, 2011, 30, beater, beaters, car, cars, ford, heat, kia, list, mpg, spectra, taurus, ten, top, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.