Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

workout/diet guru's: need personalized help - long post

Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 1
Default workout/diet guru's: need personalized help - long post

I need some personalized advice/help on my workout/dieting, i've searched the internet but there's SO much to read it's overwhelming, and that's after filtering through all the bullshit on muscle forums

a little over a month ago I decided to get back into exercising, and gaining weight/muscle mass more or less. I used to exercise regularly a couple of years ago, but pretty aimlessly and just to "stay in shape". I'm 25, 6 foot tall, and have weighed about 145-150 for as long as i can remember, I obviously burn through whatever i eat fairly fast (generally garbage, currently changing that). I don't look bones thin, but i could def. stand to gain some muscle. I guess my goal would be right around the 165-170 mark, not huge, but fit and strong.

After a little research i bought a tub of "universal real gains", which is a weight gainer that generally gets great reviews across the board. here's the nutrition facts:

Real Gains Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 3.5 Scoops
Servings Per Container: 11
Amount Per Serving Daily Value
Calcium 316mg 32%
Calories 610
Calories from Fat 53
Cholesterol 97mg 32%
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
Iron 2mg 11%
L-Alanine 4.59g *
L-Arginine 2.23g *
L-Aspartic Acid 10.04g *
L-Cysteine 2.35g *
L-Glutamic Acid 11.53g *
L-Glutamine 4.46g *
L-Glycine 1.74g *
L-Histidine 1.86g *
L-Isoleucine 5.83g *
L-Leucine 10.29g *
L-Lysine 8.55g *
L-Methionine 1.98g *
L-Phenylalanine 3.22g *
L-Proline 5.21g *
L-Serine 4.46g *
L-Threonine 6.07g *
L-Tryptophan 1.61g *
L-Tyrosine 2.85g *
L-Valine 5.45g *
Potassium 503mg 14%
Protein 52g 104%
Saturated Fat 3g 14%
Sodium 169mg 7%
Sugars 5g
Total Carbohydrate 87g 29%
Total Fat 6g 9%
Trans Fat 0g

My first question is, what is bulking? This is what i always come across when searching online. I understand what the word means, but when people bulk are they actually just eating so much that they get fat, and then start a cut cycle that burns the fat resulting in muscle? For some reason, this doesn't sound like something i want to do. Maybe i'm hugely misinformed, but can't i just build muscle/mass all in one shot without going the "bulking/making myself fat then fixing it" routine?

My second question is, what is the easiest way to figure out exactly HOW MUCH i need to eat to gain weight? calories, carbs, protien etc. One rule that seems to remain constant is protein intake needs to be about 1g per body pound, per day.

here's what I have been doing:

for the past month I have been working out every other day, sometimes more depending on how i feel. I try and lift heavy, and I find myself taking very short breaks between sets and only spending maybe 30-45 minutes in the gym, rather than taking long breaks and sitting in the gym for 2 hours. I always leave feeling like i have nothing left which is good i'm guessing. Sometimes i feel a little sore the next day, sometimes not, i'm not sure what that means.

I have been eating two eggs, some bacon, and milk every morning since starting the work out. Lunch is still crap, and dinner is pretty random (sometimes chicken, sometimes PB&J on whole grain, sometimes frozen meals, sometimes eat out). I've been taking one scoop of weight gainer with breakfast, and one scoop with dinner on off days, on workout days i take one scoop with breakfast, and 3.5 scoops (full serving) post workout at night.

I am up to 155lbs right now, so i have seen a little improvement, but i still feel like i'm going at this blind, and need a set schedule. I'm worried i'm not getting to my full potential, like i'm still not eating enough and this weight gainer is somewhat going to waste. If you were me, what would you do to achieve the goal, between what to eat, taking this protein shake, workout more or less?

It will murder your family.
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
hashtagBMW

Trader Rating: 38

What you need to do is eat.

Eat some more.

Then eat again.

Go to the gym, train how you want and whatever split you like. Don't get consumed in all the stuff out there about training and diets. Your new to it and your body is too, you'll see results quick.

Forget the real gains shake. Rookie kids buy bulking replacement shakes and skip real meals with food, which is better than a shake.
Speed Density is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Density View Post
What you need to do is eat.

Eat some more.

Then eat again.

Go to the gym, train how you want and whatever split you like. Don't get consumed in all the stuff out there about training and diets. Your new to it and your body is too, you'll see results quick.

Forget the real gains shake. Rookie kids buy bulking replacement shakes and skip real meals with food, which is better than a shake.
I understand real food is always better, but what if i'm not replacing meals with it, but rather taking it on top of meals?

it seems like a quick/easy way to get the extra calories/protien i'd need to build muscle, but idk.

EDIT: forgot, i also got an app called "fitness pal" and it's got about every food you could imagine in it's database with all nutritional info, and you add whatever you ate to your "diary" and it tallies up the amount of calories you ate in the day, and what your target amout of calories is to get to a certain weight. I chose "gain 1lb per week" and it's saying i need to shoot for 2800 calories per day, does this sound about accurate or do i need more or less?

Last edited by 'WHEELS'; 04-10-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
hashtagBMW

Trader Rating: 38

I am pretty anti-bulking shakes. Because A) they suck to drink and B)you are so full after drinking one, you'll be happy to eat 3hrs later.

And to answer your questions:

Quote:
My first question is, what is bulking? This is what i always come across when searching online. I understand what the word means, but when people bulk are they actually just eating so much that they get fat, and then start a cut cycle that burns the fat resulting in muscle? For some reason, this doesn't sound like something i want to do. Maybe i'm hugely misinformed, but can't i just build muscle/mass all in one shot without going the "bulking/making myself fat then fixing it" routine?
You can clean bulk and you can dirty bulk. Clean bulking is eating foods you may eat on a cut diet but in larger portions. Chicken, sweet potatoes, turkey, brown rice, veggies, oatmeal etc. Things with good macronutrients, low sugars or simple carbs and basically not junk food. So, a dirty bulk is the opposite - you eat whatever.

In your case, since you are new to it mostly. I would just eat and train, don't freak out about stuff but rather just go to the gym and have fun. From my experience, you can't get big without getting "big". And vice versa with cutting. I just did a show and had a 12 week cut, I lost 12lbs fat and 4lbs lean mass. And in theory/common sense, it's accurate to assume you're not going to lose some without the other.

Quote:
My second question is, what is the easiest way to figure out exactly HOW MUCH i need to eat to gain weight? calories, carbs, protien etc. One rule that seems to remain constant is protein intake needs to be about 1g per body pound, per day.
Figure out your BMR and BMI. After that, write down what you eat each day for a week. Then calculate the macro nutrients for that week and for your next week you up that intake like ~30%. The two biggest macro's you want are carbs and protein. You'll see the biggest gains if you can drive down a monster carb meal after workouts. I promise you that. You can mix simple (sugars) and complex post workout, but get them in you.

One thing you didn't ask, supplements. Just my .02 but you should really only need a BCAA (post/intra workout) of some sort. I like BPi's BLOX or Scivation Xtend, cheap and they work well. And get a pre-workout, that will boost your gym motivation and focus. Grab yourself some DSN Craze and never look back.

You could get a protein powder but my experience is helping me transition from that to spending $50 on red meats that serve a better nutrient purpose.

Wheww, I'm done.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Launching!

Trader Rating: 5

+1 on real food.
save your money from shakes and bars and supps and use it to eat real, whole, natural if you can afford it, foods.

the reason youre not gaining as much as you'd like is because you have to know your body's maintenance calroie intake, thats the amount of kcal you need to retain your current weight. youre not going to loose or gain weight unless you either have a deficit or surplus of kcal daily.
shoot for 500-1000cal over maintance a day then work from there. just to show you how youre not eating enough.. for your breakfast your taking in about 14g of protein w/o the shake scoop. i eat 7 eggs for breakfast then follow that with another real meal in less than 2hrs.
i'd be surprised if your taking in 1500cal a day of real food. if you workout with that intake youre not feeding your body after tearing it down and will actually loose muscle. (think of how long distance runners look.)
check out fitday.com, it will help you plan your meals.
try and eat as many smaller meals as you can broken throughout the day. i shoot for 6minimum and try to get 8.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ View Post
+1 on real food.
save your money from shakes and bars and supps and use it to eat real, whole, natural if you can afford it, foods.

the reason youre not gaining as much as you'd like is because you have to know your body's maintenance calroie intake, thats the amount of kcal you need to retain your current weight. youre not going to loose or gain weight unless you either have a deficit or surplus of kcal daily.
shoot for 500-1000cal over maintance a day then work from there. just to show you how youre not eating enough.. for your breakfast your taking in about 14g of protein w/o the shake scoop. i eat 7 eggs for breakfast then follow that with another real meal in less than 2hrs.
i'd be surprised if your taking in 1500cal a day of real food. if you workout with that intake youre not feeding your body after tearing it down and will actually loose muscle. (think of how long distance runners look.)
check out fitday.com, it will help you plan your meals.
try and eat as many smaller meals as you can broken throughout the day. i shoot for 6minimum and try to get 8.

you eat 7 eggs a day for breakfast???? WTF do you cook that in, a panda express size wok??! Now what is the difference between the protein that you get from 7 eggs, versus my two eggs and the protien drink? That may get too in depth.

and it's not that i'm not gaining as much as i'd like, i mean i gained 5lbs in less than a month, but i have no idea if it could be better than that, or if i will continue to gain, as i'm just winging it really. I edited my last post, about the app i just got, recommending 2830 calories per day, does that sound about right?

i'm not doubting you guys or anything, but it just seems logical to use that universal real gains between meals to actually achieve the high calorie/carb/protien goal, i mean the stuff is loaded with it. But i guess after i run out of it i'll just spend that money on more food if that's the way to do it.

EDIT: that fitday.com site is exactly like the app i got.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice

These guys are right. I was in the same boat as you recently. I weighed 162 and hadn't lifted in years. I started eating everything in sight and got on a mass gainer. I put on a ton of weight in a short time. I'm now 194, but my body fat increased 2-3% and while that doesn't sound like much, it's definitely noticeable. I put on more weight then I wanted to in my gut. I've cut the weight gainer completely and I'm eating as many real meals as I can. When I can't, I do a shake. I start to cut in a few weeks and I can't wait to get rid of some of this fat.

2002 SS 35th LE Convertible M6
LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
1993 Grey-Green Metallic z28 M6 (Sold)
1998 z28 A4 (Sold)- Stalled and Bolt on
Tyler_PinkertonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
TECH Apprentice

You definitely need more than 2830 a day. Im taking 4000 just to maintain.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28 View Post
These guys are right. I was in the same boat as you recently. I weighed 162 and hadn't lifted in years. I started eating everything in sight and got on a mass gainer. I put on a ton of weight in a short time. I'm now 194, but my body fat increased 2-3% and while that doesn't sound like much, it's definitely noticeable. I put on more weight then I wanted to in my gut. I've cut the weight gainer completely and I'm eating as many real meals as I can. When I can't, I do a shake. I start to cut in a few weeks and I can't wait to get rid of some of this fat.
interesting. so you think you wouldn't have got that unwanted fat if you were to just stick with lots of healthy foods, while still gaining the weight you wanted?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice

I know i would have gained fat, but I think it wouldn't be quite the amount I gained. I wanted to gain weight quick so I could cut and be bigger but ready for the summer. So I did a dirty bulk. Had I clean bulked I still could've gained the weight, but I would have taken longer. The one good thing about my bulk is that my strength increased with my size whereas some people gain size but strength very slowly increases.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
On The Tree

i see. and 4000 calories is a lot... time to go to the store i guess

what's some good QUICK/EASY things to eat to achieve such high numbers? I spend alot of time driving around, so i don't always have a nice big dining table to lay everything out and feast down.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Now you have my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
i see. and 4000 calories is a lot... time to go to the store i guess

what's some good QUICK/EASY things to eat to achieve such high numbers? I spend alot of time driving around, so i don't always have a nice big dining table to lay everything out and feast down.
Best thing to do is to proportion out the meals at the beginning of the week, and nuke them/eat them every day. If you try and make them every day you start to lose interest/get lazy.

Speed Density knows what he's talking about, he helped me out with my diet big time and I gained 20lbs since the beginning of the year. My diet consists of about 7 meals which include chicken, rice, vegetables, turkey, tuna, and a protein shake here and there.

Food is the most important thing when it comes to getting bigger.

GTOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOSE View Post
Best thing to do is to proportion out the meals at the beginning of the week, and nuke them/eat them every day. If you try and make them every day you start to lose interest/get lazy.

Speed Density knows what he's talking about, he helped me out with my diet big time and I gained 20lbs since the beginning of the year. My diet consists of about 7 meals which include chicken, rice, vegetables, turkey, tuna, and a protein shake here and there.

Food is the most important thing when it comes to getting bigger.
yeah i'm thinking make everything on sunday and go from there. You're around my size, or were... whats your calorie intake look like? And is it done solely by whole foods?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
TECH Apprentice

I agree with Gtose. Precooking meals is a great way to do things. Keep in mind also, that you want to eat 6-8 times a day so in reality for a 4000 calorie diet, that's only 500-650 calories per meal which isn't very hard. Just don't hit that number by eating double cheeseburgers.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
TECH Apprentice

For what it's worth I'm 6'. So you and I are around the same height.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
On The Tree

alright, so i'm aiming for 4k calories, if this is acheived with quality whole foods, i'm guessing the rest of the macro nutrients will fall in place as well and meet my needs, like carbs/protien?

I'll be going to the store tonight, i'm aiming for frozen chicken, tuna, whole grain bread, milk, **** ton of eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, granola bars, fruit/vegetables (frozen ok?), PB&J supplies, any other good sources to look out for?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
TECH Apprentice

Some of these other guys may be a bit more help then me, but I try to keep fruits and veggies fresh, greek yogurt ( awesome source of protein), I do a lot of turkey instead of beef, tuna is very good, peanut butter, and the other stuff you have listed will help. Also for shakes, I've been using myoplex lately, I really like it. 300 calories and 42 grams of protein.

A good shake to make at home of you have time is:
8 oz milk
1 tub of Greek yogurt (sold preportioned by Oikos and Chobani)
2 scoops protein powder

Usually ends up being 60+ grams protein and around 500-700 calories.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28 View Post
Some of these other guys may be a bit more help then me, but I try to keep fruits and veggies fresh, greek yogurt ( awesome source of protein), I do a lot of turkey instead of beef, tuna is very good, peanut butter, and the other stuff you have listed will help. Also for shakes, I've been using myoplex lately, I really like it. 300 calories and 42 grams of protein.

A good shake to make at home of you have time is:
8 oz milk
1 tub of Greek yogurt (sold preportioned by Oikos and Chobani)
2 scoops protein powder

Usually ends up being 60+ grams protein and around 500-700 calories.
see now this is where i get confused. why do this when one serving of the stuff i have shows 610 calories and 52g of protien?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
TECH Apprentice

The stuff you are using isn't that bad, its way better than the gainer I was on. But with a shake made at home you can add and subtract ingredients to tailor it to your diet. For example go from skim to whole milk and you get more calories. Add peanut butter and your calories and protein go up. When I make the shake I suggested I use whole milk, whey isolate (higher protein content) and Oikos plain Greek yogurt. It has 83g protein and 700 calories. That is too much protein at one time, but I always say I would rather give my body more than it needs and let it expel what it doesn't instead of not giving it enough.

LE # 2788 SLP # 6081
H/C and Bolt Ons
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4

Eat big, lift big rest big.

Compound/Multi-Joint lifts are the best for mass. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Bent over rows, Pullups, Cleans, ect you get the point. Not stuff like Tricep curls or bicep curls.

Generally during a bulking phase you want to eat like 200-300 calories a day more then you burn then cutting phase you do the exact opposite. Its easier to gain muscle when you bulk or so they say.

As far as gainers and all that i would just take a whey shake (post workout) which absorbs fast and a casein (pre bed) slow absorbing protein. I dont believe in gainers i just eat more, lots of the gainers are full of simple carbs and cheap carbs that are not so good.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
banquet, dinners, ls1tech, tv