Register Forgot Password?
Search

Kia Optima more American Made than Ford Fusion

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Old School Heavy
1965 Buick Skylark

Trader Rating: 14
Default Kia Optima more American Made than Ford Fusion

So, I was going to go get a Ford Fusion lease to replace my Mercury Milan lease. This would have been my 3 Ford daily driver in a row. Being the patriotic type, I just assumed that buying a Ford was the right thing to do. After all, they did not take any money from the government like GM did.

My wife on the other hand drives a Hyundai. She told me I should consider a Hyundai. After I stated that buying a Ford was better for America, she said: "Is it? Are you sure about that?". She said that I should have a look at the sticker first. Being a car guy, I was set back a bit by the idea that my wife might know more than I on the topic. But, we went to the Hyunda and Kia dealers to take look. She was right.

The Ford Fusion had 30% American made parts and was assembled in Mexico. The Kia Optima had 48% American made parts and was assembled in America.
The Fusion's engine and trans were made in Mexico. The Optima's engine and trans were made in America.

You could not be any more surprised than I.

65 Skylark My Build Thread - LQ9, Victor Jr. Carburetor, 3.90 Gears, 4000 Stall - Cam Motion Low Lash Solid Street Cam
Best on motor 10.86 @ 123.15 ~ 10.04 @ 133.35 on spray ~ 10 second pass track video
speedtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

The only thing American about GM, Ford, and Chrysler is that their headquarters are in the US. They are probably the least "American Made" cars out there at this point.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Damillio Send a message via Yahoo to Damillio

Known this for awhile.
If you want to buy American, Toyota Camry is actually #1
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtigger View Post
So, I was going to go get a Ford Fusion lease to replace my Mercury Milan lease. This would have been my 3 Ford daily driver in a row. Being the patriotic type, I just assumed that buying a Ford was the right thing to do. After all, they did not take any money from the government like GM did.

My wife on the other hand drives a Hyundai. She told me I should consider a Hyundai. After I stated that buying a Ford was better for America, she said: "Is it? Are you sure about that?". She said that I should have a look at the sticker first. Being a car guy, I was set back a bit by the idea that my wife might know more than I on the topic. But, we went to the Hyunda and Kia dealers to take look. She was right.

The Ford Fusion had 30% American made parts and was assembled in Mexico. The Kia Optima had 48% American made parts and was assembled in America.
The Fusion's engine and trans were made in Mexico. The Optima's engine and trans were made in America.

You could not be any more surprised than I.

the ford fusions are great cars. they seem reliable so far....at least my customers cars do.

the hyundai/kia is built in georgia i think. their quality went waayyyy up when the korean govt merged them together. that was around 2001 i think. newer than that, you've got great cars from them. older than that, they burn oil like mitsubishis........
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Captain Double Post
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

for the longest time i always said get that jap crap out of my way , i bashed those cars for so long just because i to feel you should buy american , when i found that out all i could say was wtf lol, serious ford,gm, etc are more jap crap than honda ,toyota etc lol, but i will say maybe that is the reason they have such good cars now lol, the new fusion 2013 look pretty killer, and these cars are getting great mpg, yes i hate the idea these cars are not all made here,but then again america is kinda going down hill while others are going up, but yes its a shock to find that out
BOBS99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Companies want to cut corners, outsource jobs, cheap parts, and cheap labor. Not surprising at all.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
The only thing American about GM, Ford, and Chrysler is that their headquarters are in the US. They are probably the least "American Made" cars out there at this point.
Yeah thats really it but your putting more money in other Americans hands if you buy the Hundai in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
the ford fusions are great cars. they seem reliable so far....at least my customers cars do.

the hyundai/kia is built in georgia i think. their quality went waayyyy up when the korean govt merged them together. that was around 2001 i think. newer than that, you've got great cars from them. older than that, they burn oil like mitsubishis........
My one of my friends has one and its really starting to show its age. Its 4 years old now i believe and there are all sorts of issues coming up with it. Nothing too serious though.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
TECH Junkie
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 17

Go buy a Volkswagen Passat. They are a top Car & Driver built car, and built in my hometown Chattanooga, TN! Support my local economy back home!
| Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT A6 | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 M6 | ASC #1738 |

| 97 Trans Am LS1 Swap R.I.P |
HoLLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

F150 is 75%, Edge is 70% and explorer is 60%... you still have some options from the blue oval.

In fact, for 2012MY the Fusion has the lowest parts content of any Ford besides the Transit Connect (0%). Ford is reportedly planning to bring Fusion production back to Michigan sometime in the next generation.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rul...Alpha_rev3.pdf
beerwhiskeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member
2000 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
Companies want to cut corners, outsource jobs, cheap parts, and cheap labor. Not surprising at all.
How is this surprising to anyone?
American companies have "outsourced" and went for "cheap" labor. All the way back to colonial times. I hear eventually it was a contributor to a civil unrest of sorts.
these business practices are not gonna change any time soon. LOL
NemeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to RikkiTorment

Didn't Ford take more money from financial funding than GM did with their bailout?
2001 Trans Am WS6 M6. Long tubes, SLP Loudmouth 1, ported throttle body, LS7 clutch, LS7 lifters, custom grind cam(.223/.231 .615/.622 on a 111lsa), Absolute Speed Stage 2.5 5.3L heads (862's) cnc'ed and hand finished, 4.10's, Bilstein shocks, Strano springs.

RikkiTorment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #12
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

The thing is you have to remember where the $$$$ goes back to headquarters. You buy a Kia, that's great that they employ a few thousand americans in Georgia to assemble their cars. There are still tens of thousands of employees back in Korea that work at headquarters, engineering, marketing, etc that you are supporting with your purchase $$$$.

You buy a Ford, granted you are supporting some Mexicans who built the car and its parts, but the $$$$ goes back to Detriot to support Americans working in marketing, finance, engineering, etc. The assembly line workers are just a portion of the people you support when you buy a car.
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTorment View Post
Didn't Ford take more money from financial funding than GM did with their bailout?
Ford borrowed and has/is paying back 5.9 billion, at interest, from the federal reserve IIRC.

We invested a total of 60 Billion in GM, ~10 billion they've paid back so far, the rest we purchased as stock. We still own 26.5% of GM. A google news search show the current forecast is we will lose 21.7 billion from the investment. GM's stock will have to rise to $53/share from the $23/share its at currently to get an even return on our investment.

Those numbers do not account for the fact that GM hasn't paid any taxes since bankruptcy and do not include the small guy stock and bondholders who got absolutely screwed over during the bankruptcy.

No politics, just facts.
beerwhiskeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
any proof foreign automakers build more cars here than the big three?

415/391 MD.
more stuff coming soon!

QS m6 05 GTO. LPE CAI, magnaflow catback. ported 243s, ls3 cam. tune. 345/340 stock manifolds.MD. its for sale.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
KCS
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeSS View Post
How is this surprising to anyone?
American companies have "outsourced" and went for "cheap" labor. All the way back to colonial times. I hear eventually it was a contributor to a civil unrest of sorts.
these business practices are not gonna change any time soon. LOL
Now thats funny.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

I hate how ignorant some people are about this subject. Just because the company is based in American doesn't mean American anymore. One of the locals I work does some switching in the yard in Indy that was built just to switch out the GM and Chrysler plants, both of which shut down, and Ford shut down a factory just south of where I grew up, but we work the Subaru plant up in Lafayette, there is a huge Honda plant about 45 minutes from here, and Toyota opened up a plant about 10 years ago where I grew up and is still expanding and adding jobs.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to RikkiTorment

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe View Post
Ford borrowed and has/is paying back 5.9 billion, at interest, from the federal reserve IIRC.

We invested a total of 60 Billion in GM, ~10 billion they've paid back so far, the rest we purchased as stock. We still own 26.5% of GM. A google news search show the current forecast is we will lose 21.7 billion from the investment. GM's stock will have to rise to $53/share from the $23/share its at currently to get an even return on our investment.

Those numbers do not account for the fact that GM hasn't paid any taxes since bankruptcy and do not include the small guy stock and bondholders who got absolutely screwed over during the bankruptcy.

No politics, just facts.
So is this untrue? Because I am confused about the subject. Everywhere states that Ford received $2 billion more than GM did in their bailout with a much lower rate of interest to pay back.

http://jalopnik.com/5704575/
2001 Trans Am WS6 M6. Long tubes, SLP Loudmouth 1, ported throttle body, LS7 clutch, LS7 lifters, custom grind cam(.223/.231 .615/.622 on a 111lsa), Absolute Speed Stage 2.5 5.3L heads (862's) cnc'ed and hand finished, 4.10's, Bilstein shocks, Strano springs.

RikkiTorment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Old School Heavy
1965 Buick Skylark

Trader Rating: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
The thing is you have to remember where the $$$$ goes back to headquarters. You buy a Kia, that's great that they employ a few thousand americans in Georgia to assemble their cars. There are still tens of thousands of employees back in Korea that work at headquarters, engineering, marketing, etc that you are supporting with your purchase $$$$.
This is a consideration. But, just like you can't assume where a car is manufactured, I don't want to assume that all of the administrative and engineering is done in this country either.

65 Skylark My Build Thread - LQ9, Victor Jr. Carburetor, 3.90 Gears, 4000 Stall - Cam Motion Low Lash Solid Street Cam
Best on motor 10.86 @ 123.15 ~ 10.04 @ 133.35 on spray ~ 10 second pass track video
speedtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
11 Second Club
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 1

My SS was made in Canada........

01 SLP SS, Motorless and Stock Looking
SM105K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTorment View Post
So is this untrue? Because I am confused about the subject. Everywhere states that Ford received $2 billion more than GM did in their bailout with a much lower rate of interest to pay back.

http://jalopnik.com/5704575/
looks to me like hat article says that they bought paper from those besides gm and chrysler. little different than buying up the companies debts.
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement