a VERY slow day @work so I made a chart :) - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Search

a VERY slow day @work so I made a chart :)

Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Launching!

Trader Rating: 0
Default a VERY slow day @work so I made a chart :)

What's up guys! So today was a VERY slow day at work and I am getting VERY close to buying a new car(most likely June) and it is my ONLY car. The purpose of this is to narrow down my next car that I am buying with a budget of $13-16K OTD

But I'm a car enthusiast and love all cars. Appreciate the Light-On-It's-Feet type of cars of Miatas all the way to 600+hp muscle cars, so needless to say I am VERY indecisive.

This chart is just my OPINON not facts, so please do give your bias or unbiased(doubtful) opinions, I've posted this on couple of different forums so I can get every car communities opinions.

I enjoy other people's feedbacks, so please don't hold back

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1181/carratings.png
D3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Launching!

My rating methods:

Exterior: Sexyness of the car

Interior: Material and Overall design and comfort

Reliability: If **** goes wrong will it cost arm and a leg. can you beat on this car?

Rare: I like not having a car that you don't see at every corner

MPG: I will be commuting close to 60miles roundtrip everyday starting fall semester so a 30mpg cobalt ss(while still fun) sounds VERY appealing!

Fun: Is it a drivers car? A fat car like str8 300 and being it Auto is less fun IN MY OPINION than a nimble m6 C5, see what I'm saying? hopefully... But a 300 is a comfy badass looking fast straight line cruiser
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

I say c5 or ls2 goat.

1968 Camaro SS LS1/T56 Swap in progress.
1994 CHEYENNE RCSB Cammed/Stalled 360
LACE UP!! EST. 19XX.
6898camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Launching!

C5 definitely has the fun factor imo

and the GTO has the fun(not as fun as the C5, due to the weight and less sexiness) and the DD comfort that'll be ideal for my fall semester commuting.

But for some reason the GTO just doesn't have... IT! It doesn't have an IT factor, idk how to discribe it... maybe it's because the exterior of the car is so bland? But I don't hate it ether... It just doesn't have one thing that does EXCELLENT, it does many things Very Good, if that makes since...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
Launching!

Send a message via AIM to versz

C5... but if I were in your shoes I'd save up. Get the c5z or use as down payment on c6/z when the c7 is released c6 should come down a bit. That's what Im hoping anyways
versz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
Staging Lane

Maybe I'm being a little biased but I'm going to say c5. I think it's a comfortable car to drive for hours on end. Its deffinatly fun. And I get great gas mileage, even after the cam swap.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstls1vette View Post
Maybe I'm being a little biased but I'm going to say c5. I think it's a comfortable car to drive for hours on end. Its deffinatly fun. And I get great gas mileage, even after the cam swap.
I'm not a HUGE fan of the C5 Vette. Granted it looks cool, but the interior is every bit as junky as an fbody. My main beef is that it still has that big/clusmy feel like an fbody, mainly due to it being so wide. The seats suck just as much as an fbody, ie uncomfortable and no lateral support. Plus the steering feel is pretty damn numb, just like an fbody.

If you want to know what good handling, seating position, and steering feel is like, go drive a BMW or a Miata. You feel at one in those cars, in the C5 Vette, its like a 4th gen fbody, you feel distant, remote, removed from the steering wheel.

Anyways, unless its a C5 Z06 with 405hp stock, I think the LS1 fbody is a much better buy. Cheaper, more practical, just as fast, and I personally like the styling better on both the Pontiacs and Camaro.
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
TECH Addict

Personally I would stay away from the foreign stuff on your list due to maintenance costs (been there, done that, and it gets old). With gas being a real concern with a 60 miles daily commute I think you would totally enjoy the Cobalt SS just like you said. If the SS is not 'visual' enough for you and you are leaning towards a Corvette I would just advise to get as low a mileage stock example that you can afford and I don't care what year it is. There are so many Corvettes out there for sale that have been owned by middle aged, and even old guys, that barely used them and are basically excellent used garage kept cars. You would have very few maintenance issues or worries. Have fun with the search!
NC01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
TECH Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6898camaross View Post
I say c5 or ls2 goat.
Done

My Thread
01 CamaroSS SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

Trader Rating: 1

I'd narrow it down to the C5 or the GTO as well. If MPG is important and you don't need a back seat for anything, C5 all day. I'd only take the GTO over it if I needed the back seat.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Launching!

Sorry guys, I should probably explain my $$ Budget $$ Not assuming you guys would know lol

13to 16 k means some cars like c4 lt4 can be had for 12/13ish and

and srt8 and c55 and sti can be found for 18/19ish with roughly 60to90k millage and my past 3 cars that I've bought I've haggled the prices down from 11 to 8.5k, 12 to 10k and 16 to 12.5k... So from past experience I can haggle the dealers down AT LEAST 2k if not more. I'm Persian... Let's just say were VERY good at haggling

Sorry I shouldn't have assumed you guys would know how my pricing worked
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC01TA View Post
Personally I would stay away from the foreign stuff on your list due to maintenance costs (been there, done that, and it gets old). With gas being a real concern with a 60 miles daily commute I think you would totally enjoy the Cobalt SS just like you said. If the SS is not 'visual' enough for you and you are leaning towards a Corvette I would just advise to get as low a mileage stock example that you can afford and I don't care what year it is. There are so many Corvettes out there for sale that have been owned by middle aged, and even old guys, that barely used them and are basically excellent used garage kept cars. You would have very few maintenance issues or worries. Have fun with the search!
I agree with staying away or being afraid of the foreign stuff like the C55, but after lotta research and one of my buddies has one, apparently they are VERY beatable cars... The transmission and the engine and all the main big parts are very bullet proof apparently, and Status/Elegance of Benz would be something nice and refreshing coming from the Fbody...

But yea, IF **** goes wrong... I'll have to sell an arm and a leg... It's a risk with all the German cars lol
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28 View Post
I'm not a HUGE fan of the C5 Vette. Granted it looks cool, but the interior is every bit as junky as an fbody. My main beef is that it still has that big/clusmy feel like an fbody, mainly due to it being so wide. The seats suck just as much as an fbody, ie uncomfortable and no lateral support. Plus the steering feel is pretty damn numb, just like an fbody.

If you want to know what good handling, seating position, and steering feel is like, go drive a BMW or a Miata. You feel at one in those cars, in the C5 Vette, its like a 4th gen fbody, you feel distant, remote, removed from the steering wheel.

Anyways, unless its a C5 Z06 with 405hp stock, I think the LS1 fbody is a much better buy. Cheaper, more practical, just as fast, and I personally like the styling better on both the Pontiacs and Camaro.
Really? Your literally the 1st person that has ever said that the F-body and the C5 are very similar... Not disagreeing with you... just saying.

Everyone says that besides the engine and the straight line comparison, there night and day apart.

Though I might agree that the interior of the C5 only being a tiny step up from the F-body.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 71

The C5 interior in not as shitty as the fbody. Have you paid attention to them? Hell if nothing else look at the difference in window switches/door locks. They are most definitely nicer.
It is one thing you are paying for with the higher price in the same platform.

Only car? Me personally, I don't care if I only have one other seat so C5... Practically, ls2 GTO.

Tell Kyle "Lemons" sent you!
lemons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
Staging Lane

Yea I have tO disagree with you aronz28. My buddies 2000 camaro has a good bit of suspension work down to it compared to the stock suspension on my corvette and his still doesn't handle as well as my car does.

And as for me just sitting in a c5 I feel more comfortable. I don't really care to drive his car. Interior Quality, your right not much better if any at all to the f-body.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
On The Tree

If you don't need a back seat then go c5. The interior is nicer than an fbody and imo the seats are way more comfortable than a 4th gen. Not to mention the better handling.
If you need a little more room the c55 is a great little car. My mom has one with almost 100k on it and besides a wiring issue that took a long time to find (one wire got pinched, either during assembly or ???) it has been a great little car and is very fun to drive. Seats are comfortable, interior is generally nice and it gets decent mpg's for a 360 hp v8.
If mpg's are your biggest concern then the cobalt SS would probably be your best choice from your list.

2002 Camaro SS - minor suspension mods, otherwise stock
1970 Camaro SS (clone) - Carbd LS1 Build Thread
Black&White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstls1vette View Post
Yea I have tO disagree with you aronz28. My buddies 2000 camaro has a good bit of suspension work down to it compared to the stock suspension on my corvette and his still doesn't handle as well as my car does.

And as for me just sitting in a c5 I feel more comfortable. I don't really care to drive his car. Interior Quality, your right not much better if any at all to the f-body.
What type of C5 do you have? Is it your DD or your weekend toy?

M6 or Auto?

Your overall summary(interior, durability, mpg, random **** going wrong) of the car would be greatly appreciated it sir
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 71

Devil there is a complete C5 VS fbody thread around here somewhere that breaks everything down.

Tell Kyle "Lemons" sent you!
lemons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&White View Post
If you don't need a back seat then go c5. The interior is nicer than an fbody and imo the seats are way more comfortable than a 4th gen. Not to mention the better handling.
If you need a little more room the c55 is a great little car. My mom has one with almost 100k on it and besides a wiring issue that took a long time to find (one wire got pinched, either during assembly or ???) it has been a great little car and is very fun to drive. Seats are comfortable, interior is generally nice and it gets decent mpg's for a 360 hp v8.
If mpg's are your biggest concern then the cobalt SS would probably be your best choice from your list.
Good to hear another positive review of the C55. My brother has a brand new Maxima and it's a fantastic car, it doesn't do one thing AMAZING but it does everything VERY GOOD! So the factor of the C55's luxury and refinement is a nice breath of fresh air

But the What-If factor of the Germans.... are very scary!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
TECH Enthusiast

Rare and low repair costs conflict with each other.

Rare vehicles experience higher parts costs due to the lower volume.

2013 Mustang GT, M6, Tech package - Bone Stock
Dan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th, body, feel, fourth, gen, grant, lightest, seats, steering, wheel