Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default 2006 Saab 9-3 aero

I am really thinking about picking one of these up. I like the turbo v6 and 6 speed option. I can get a used one with roughly 60-80k on it for under 10k. It looks decently good may grow on me with age. Gets near 30 mpg. Does anyone know the tuning capabilities of these or aftermarket support? I tried looking on a Saab forum, but it's nothing like tech is here.
Anyways, if anyone has ever driven one let me know.
tjwashow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

The only issue with buying a Saab is parts are getting harder to come by. Even my TB SS clone - Saab 97X Aero - has enough Saab parts that it is pricey at times. I'd definitely keep that in mind before you buy.

Beyond that they are good cars. The VP of my bank bought one for his wife and she loves it. They've owned it for over a year and racked up over 10K trouble-free miles.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

I thought about the lack of parts. I figured autozone would not carry all the parts for this. I am going to take my time and find a nice six speed. One that's maintained.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Douchebag On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

I would honestly try one of the turbo 4 models. From what I have seen the V6's can be finnicky. The same 2.8 V6 NA was used in the early CTS and they have more problems than the later models.

Not to mention the aftermarket support will most likely be better on the turbo 4. Its from the same family of engines as the LNF.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

I can only say that I really like the styling of those.

Science flies you to the moon.
Religion flies you into buildings.
Wolfsblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

im going to look at and test drive a v6 with the 6spd and turbo. its the wagon with some bsr tuning done to it with 63k miles. i could get it for 8500. If it checks out ill end up getting it. im not gonna do much to it just maybe an exhaust or intake.
1998 z28 -slp lid--slp smooth bellow--brand new top end gaskets from cam swap--TR 224 114 lsa .563 .563--Brian Tooley Dual Spring Kit--ls7 lifters--ls6 pump--ls2 chain--7.40 hardened pushrods--long tubes--MAC cat back (who wants to trade?)--PS PRY-- 354hp at 5400rpm 360tq--3.73 gears--T/A Gurdle--
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

I daily drive an '07 9-3 2.0T vert with the 6 speed manual trans and love it.

Fortunately nothings broken on the car yet as its only got 70k miles so far. So I can't tell you if replacement parts have gotten expensive or not.

Since its a convertible, its got the Aero sway bars and handles well but still has a good ride. Kind of wish the 2.0 had a little more power but overall its more than what I need for a daily driver, plus I've been averaging 26mpg and I do not drive slowly. Got curious, took it to the track once and ran a couple 15.2's at 93. Think the M6 Aeros run mid 14's.

Also wish I had the in-dash navi, which I believe comes standard on the Aero's. Overall I can say that I'm very happy with it though and will probably drive it into the ground.
tbag_skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Forgot to add-- Check out saabcentral.com, too. I believe HPtuners supports 2.8 V6s. There will be info there probably.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

thanks for the reply tbagger lol. Yea i am stuck on if I should get the Aero or just get a cehaper 2.0? i really like the Aero in balck with black leather. and i really like the sportcombi wagon. I cant wait to get one actually. i need to get rid of this honda element. Alot of the ones im finding have rebuilt titles, which i find weird.
1998 z28 -slp lid--slp smooth bellow--brand new top end gaskets from cam swap--TR 224 114 lsa .563 .563--Brian Tooley Dual Spring Kit--ls7 lifters--ls6 pump--ls2 chain--7.40 hardened pushrods--long tubes--MAC cat back (who wants to trade?)--PS PRY-- 354hp at 5400rpm 360tq--3.73 gears--T/A Gurdle--
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

If you don't go Saab, I would look at the Volvo V70R wagons. More expensive, but super cool. 300HP 2.5 5cyl turbo w/awd. They're on the rare side, but they made them in M6 versions as well.

If you weren't looking for a wagon, they make them in sedan versions as well. They call that engine the T5, not to be confused with the less powerful 2.5T.

And yeah, those Saabs are great looking. I really like the look of the last gen 9-5. It's a shame they went under.
StuntmanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
TECH Regular
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

I had a 01 9-5 SE with a 3.0 turbo v-6. It was a quick car, very comfortable, handled pretty well, for the time it was very luxurious. I put 222,200 miles on it when it finally died. They are expensive to fix but it was pretty reliable until it hit the 170k mark. I miss it.

Funny how their high output 2.3T in the aero put out 230/260 for power and the the 3.0T put out 200/230. I have seen some High powered ones that I'm sure has some high tech tuning across seas but i'm not sure about in the states.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Staging Lane
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

I owned a 2002 saab 95 Aero before I purchased my SS, so I know a thing or two about saabs. I humbly offer a few words of advice:

DO NOT BUY THE V-6.
It is slow as ***** and falls apart more than a regular saab. The Aero is the fastest, 2.3t is the midrange, and the v-6 is the redheaded stepchild.

Speaking of which, things WILL break on your saab if it has over 100K miles. I replaced the power steering pump, heater blower, blend door flap, entire AC system, and fuel pump within a year of owning mine. That being said you will be able to get a much better deal on yours than I did on mine, because when Saab went out of business the book on all saabs dropped significantly.

The bottom line is if you have the money, and go in knowing that you will have to replace some expensive parts then do it. Don't worry about parts availability, Saab Automobile Parts AB was not a part of Saab's bankruptcy, so parts will not be any harder to find than they were before the bankruptcy.

The saab will be one of the best cars you have ever owned. I still miss mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZ28Bro
Nnot bad as n good, like bad as n bad.
Zark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zark View Post
I owned a 2002 saab 95 Aero before I purchased my SS, so I know a thing or two about saabs. I humbly offer a few words of advice:

DO NOT BUY THE V-6.
It is slow as ***** and falls apart more than a regular saab. The Aero is the fastest, 2.3t is the midrange, and the v-6 is the redheaded stepchild.

Speaking of which, things WILL break on your saab if it has over 100K miles. I replaced the power steering pump, heater blower, blend door flap, entire AC system, and fuel pump within a year of owning mine. That being said you will be able to get a much better deal on yours than I did on mine, because when Saab went out of business the book on all saabs dropped significantly.

The bottom line is if you have the money, and go in knowing that you will have to replace some expensive parts then do it. Don't worry about parts availability, Saab Automobile Parts AB was not a part of Saab's bankruptcy, so parts will not be any harder to find than they were before the bankruptcy.

The saab will be one of the best cars you have ever owned. I still miss mine.

When you say "aero is the fastest", the aero im talking about is the turbo v6. In the years of 06-07 thats the the only aero motor they made correct? The 2.3t is the older aero motor correct? I like the aero because of the options and leather style. i like the two tone look.

I was under the impression that the v6 that saab made for the aero starting in 06 won best engine that year. i have heard good things on the saab forums too about the v6. I have my eyes on a black aero with the tan interior that spent all its life at the saab dealership for service. i am aware that things will break and i will fix them. no biggie, things break.

if it were up to you would you get the non aero version? i am alittle hung up on people saying that the v6 turbo underwhelms in the acceleration department. i do need to go out and test drive one still.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
Staging Lane
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwashow View Post
When you say "aero is the fastest", the aero im talking about is the turbo v6. In the years of 06-07 thats the the only aero motor they made correct? The 2.3t is the older aero motor correct?

I was under the impression that the v6 that saab made for the aero starting in 06 won best engine that year.

if it were up to you would you get the non aero version? i am alittle hung up on people saying that the v6 turbo underwhelms in the acceleration department. i do need to go out and test drive one still.
My bad, I did not reading your original post close enough. I do not have any experience with the 06-07 engine, however I do believe you are correct that it will be a v6. I was mistakenly thinking you were referencing the 2.3L eco-power engine, which in my experience was superb. The Aero trim level will almost always be the fastest. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZ28Bro
Nnot bad as n good, like bad as n bad.
Zark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to TriShield Send a message via AIM to TriShield Send a message via MSN to TriShield Send a message via Yahoo to TriShield

You could say I have a few in the family, my 9-3s are all 2.0 turbo cars. They are fantastic cars for the money, very well designed, engineered and built. They perform very well and are fun to drive in all kinds of weather. They are generally as a rule very reliable car well into the 100k mile range.

Parts for 9-3s are still plentiful and probably will be for a long time, the enthusiast and vendor community is large enough that I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you end up picking up a 2nd gen 9-5 or something very rare.

I feel a little dirty saying this but I think I enjoy driving my SportCombi more than I did my G8 for what it was. The last run from 2008-2011 feel a bit more substantial and are made with better stuff inside than the current gen CTS and most other GM cars for that matter. Too bad the General couldn't (or wouldn't) find a place for all of that Swedish talent here in North America.
TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

TriShield-

i am going the 2.8t route. i have heard good things on tuning potential and what not. seems like a stage 1 tune with full exhaust and intercooler nets rouhgly 125hp. All for around 1000 bucks. Not too bad imo, ecspecialy with keeping stock internals and turbo.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

The last generation 9-3 was a bit confusing compared to the 9-5's.

02-11 9-3's never got the 2.3t. That was used for the 9-5's and the previous generation 9-3 Viggen.

From 02 to 05 the 9-3's only got either the 2.0t (180hp) or the 2.0T (210hp). Cars with the 2.0t were either called Linear or Arc. From 02-04, cars with the 2.0T were called Vector, until '05 when the name was changed to Aero.

Then in '06, the Aero cars got the 2.8 V6 turbo which was 255hp in the first few years and I believe by the end of production in '11 or '12 they were closer to 300hp. The Arc and Linear trims along with the 2.0t engine were dropped that year, so your options were either 2.0T or Aero 2.8 V6.

9-5's were a whole different thing, and I'm not as familiar with them since I've only owned my current 9-3 and an older 900.

Just though I'd throw the info out there to make things less confusing.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to TriShield Send a message via AIM to TriShield Send a message via MSN to TriShield Send a message via Yahoo to TriShield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwashow View Post
TriShield-

i am going the 2.8t route. i have heard good things on tuning potential and what not. seems like a stage 1 tune with full exhaust and intercooler nets rouhgly 125hp. All for around 1000 bucks. Not too bad imo, ecspecialy with keeping stock internals and turbo.
The V6s produce a ton of power with just some tweaking. There are some good videos on Youtube of tuned Saabs running.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker View Post
The last generation 9-3 was a bit confusing compared to the 9-5's.

02-11 9-3's never got the 2.3t. That was used for the 9-5's and the previous generation 9-3 Viggen.

From 02 to 05 the 9-3's only got either the 2.0t (180hp) or the 2.0T (210hp). Cars with the 2.0t were either called Linear or Arc. From 02-04, cars with the 2.0T were called Vector, until '05 when the name was changed to Aero.

Then in '06, the Aero cars got the 2.8 V6 turbo which was 255hp in the first few years and I believe by the end of production in '11 or '12 they were closer to 300hp. The Arc and Linear trims along with the 2.0t engine were dropped that year, so your options were either 2.0T or Aero 2.8 V6.

9-5's were a whole different thing, and I'm not as familiar with them since I've only owned my current 9-3 and an older 900.

Just though I'd throw the info out there to make things less confusing.
As far as 9-3s go the V6 turbo was dropped in 2009 completely in the US. All Aeros 09 and up are 2.0 turbo cars with 210hp, still plenty of potential in those or any of the 9-3 engines from what I know.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 20t, 93, 95, aero, blend, codes, door, ls1, mods, motor, quick, saab, specs, stage, swap, turbo, v6