Opinion on a parts transaction issue - LS1TECH

Opinion on a parts transaction issue

Old 02-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Teching In

Default Opinion on a parts transaction issue

So about a year ago I bought a large amount of parts to put a 408 together from a member who represented himself as a dealer for BTR. Part of the parts purchased were the crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Communication was great, parts were shipped in a timely matter, and he was very professional. Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to sideline the project and put the parts on the shelf for a year. I have recently gotten back to the build and have discovered the pistons that I was provided were for a stock stroke, not for the 4" stroke crankshaft that was purchased at the same time as the pistons.

I have attempted to get in touch with the seller via PM's, email, a voicemail, and an email. Nothing has been returned at this point.

My question is this: Am I wrong to expect some sort of assistance from the seller a year after the fact? The pistons are still brand new obviously, and the mistake was made on the sellers end, but I realize that maybe I am being unreasonable in expecting assistance. I know as a business owner myself I would take ownership of a mistake I made no matter how long ago I made it. This isn't a post to crap on the seller, more of a reality check for my own expectations and I appreciate opinions on it.
Matt Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Launching!

While I think most people would resolve the issue you probably don't have to much recourse after a year.
sw07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
11 Second Club

I doubt many people would help you out after a year. The seller doesn't know if you are lying at this point or not..
Sladester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
12 Second Club

how long have you been trying to contact the seller ? if its been hours or days then be patient maybe he is on vacation or something , if it has been weeks or longer than it would seem you are being avoided on purpose...
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

If they are a large volume dealer they may be able and willing to help you, If it's a smaller dealer he may not be able to help you without eating the cost if any applies. If the pistons you have are still in production then it will be easier for the seller to take them back, If they are no longer produced or have been superseded then they are old stock and not so easy to resell. I bought a $700 7" Holley dash over a year ago and when I finally hooked it up the screen worked with a mouse but not to touch, I talked to tech support and tried to resolve the issue myself but nothing worked. They told me they couldn't replace it under warranty but they would repair it at no charge. Not only did they fix it they repaired it and shipped it back out the same day they received it.To me that says a lot about a company. Even as big as they have become they still know how to treat a customer.
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Teching In

It's been a couple of days trying to contact the seller. I'm not going to sweat it, I ordered the correct pistons and I will sell these for what I can. 20/20 hindsight I should have verified part numbers when I received the parts, I'll consider it a lesson learned.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Do you have an invoice showing the incorrect pistons?
Marc 85Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Teching In

Yes, I have the invoice with the part number for the incorrect pistons on it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burns View Post
Yes, I have the invoice with the part number for the incorrect pistons on it.
Then regardless of time since purchase the seller should be responsible.
Marc 85Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
Then regardless of time since purchase the seller should be responsible.
The seller may disagree, Yes they made a mistake but that was about a year ago according to the OP, That's quite a long time to just go back and ask for a refund/replacement, If the buyer is nice about it the seller may help him out but I seriously doubt he's obligated to after a year. I know the first thing I do when I get parts is to make sure I received what I ordered and it arrived in good condition not months later.
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
Teching In

I did verify proper stroke of the crank and rod length, as well as proper bore of the pistons, but I did not look up compression height, until I stuck the first piston in. The seller never did make contact, even to tell me to stick it up my a$$, so I consider it a lesson learned. I spent over $5000 on this particular build and I am sure I will do it again, next time it will be with a more reputable seller.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
12 Second Club

I would think if you were to buy the new pistons you need from that seller they may take the other pistons back with some restocking fee provided you still have all the original packaging , worth a shot. I agree time is not in your favor but There are an awful lot of new performance parts sitting in boxes out there waiting to accumulate all the parts for a build and the funds to pay for the assembly and install in a lot of cases.

If you are buying the same brand of pistons another dealer may even be able to take them in trade to offset the costs a bit for you , I have seen vendors read stories like this on this forum and step up for members - its good public relations stories like that get around , any vendors watching this ???? good chance to get some good publicity here...what brand are the pistons ? maybe even a member looking for what you have.
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote