Buick Regal opinions - LS1TECH

Buick Regal opinions

Old 03-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Buick Regal opinions

Looking for some real world experiences/opinions on a 2014 Buick Regal Premium II (FWD) as a daily. Found one that seems like a good deal, it's got 16k miles and they're asking under $20,000. It's a 2.0L turbo (259hp 295tq) and it's certified through GM.

Commute to work is 35 miles each way, pretty much straight highway. Don't really do any real "city" driving. Only thing that might be kind of hard on the car is my girlfriends driveway is like a rally stage. Up a steep, windy hill, off road with gravel (and then obviously downhill depending on the direction of travel )

I don't know anyone personally that has a Buick so I have no idea regarding reliability, maintenance costs, etc. so I figured I'd give Tech a shot
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

From everything I've read they are amazing cars. Reliable, fun to drive, good mileage, and they can "wake up" a bit more with a Trifecta tune. To be honest, I'd probably own one right now if I could stomach the thought of 2 car payments (spoiler - I can't).
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
TECH Junkie

Buicks seem to be the midway point between Chevrolet and Cadillac. I have heard the new Regals are good cars, but have no personal experience with them.

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-06-2017 at 10:48 AM.
-Ross- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
TECH Senior Member

I would get it...That is a lot of car for the money.
kinglt-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
12 Second Club

they can be made beasts with a tune as mentioned , basic canned tune is around 300 whp I believe. As far as Buick reliability it has been excellent for the last 20 years or so , many jd power awards and every forum post I have seen from people that own them has been very positive. There was a post on here in the last few months of someone that has a turbo one and had it tuned that was raving about it.

I have owned many Buicks over the years as daily drivers mainly w body based regal gs's (supercharged 3800's) I have had excellent luck with every one of them and have been waiting for the latest ones like your looking at to start popping up with over 100k so I can get a cheap one.
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Teching In

Fwd ftl
FlyinOn4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinOn4Wheels View Post
Fwd ftl
not always I won more races with my fwd cars than losses , quickest 4 door v6 fwd gtp I had went 12.1 @117. They are great for daily drivers ,winter drivers etc...
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
TECH Fanatic

I went out and test drove the regal last night. The power and acceleration was impressive for a 2.0 turbo in that size of a car and the interior was nice. My biggest complaints were that while the seats were comfortable, they didn't offer much side bolstering to really hold you in the seat and the gas pedal didn't feel good under my foot. I could probably get used to the latter after a while though.

The ride was nice but it felt a little less confident and just slightly less tight than the Fusion Titanium I drove.

I did check out an ATS, same year as the Regal. I didn't get to drive that one but I liked the ATS more...but it was also $4,000 more with 10k more miles lol
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic

I had a '12 GS which I just traded in October for the SS. I really enjoyed it for what it was. Good power for the 4 cylinder. Yes a tune will get you around 300whp but you're not doing much beyond that without some more investment, stock turbo won't support much more than that. My '12 was the older LNF style (think Cobalt SS) 2.0, the '14s got the newer LTG shared with the ATS, but I think those are a hair less mod friendly.

The ATS has the benefit of being RWD (or AWD) and a Caddy, OTOH it is a small car vs. the Regal, tiny back seat and trunk.

IMO because they sell so poorly and thus resale sucks but they have a great chassis and handle well, a used Regal is a pretty good value for a driver's car.
NHRATA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY View Post
The ride was nice but it felt a little less confident and just slightly less tight than the Fusion Titanium I drove.
Out of curiosity, did you drive a GS or a lower trim? I'd think the GS would handle pretty well, but I've yet to drive the new Regal in any trim.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote