Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Camaroz
Default What exactly does a "lot boy" do at a dealership

A few people have recommended this to me as a job, and I was wondering how old you usually haft to be to do this job(17 currently), and what exactly does it involve?
Thanks in advance

1995 Z/28 A4 Stock stolen at $300 for a mistaken head gasket. Sold
2006 GMC 2500HD 83K LBZ Duramax 6Spd Alli Straight Pipe'd, EFILive. Totalled
Camaroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to CrabhartLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
A few people have recommended this to me as a job, and I was wondering how old you usually haft to be to do this job(17 currently), and what exactly does it involve?
Thanks in advance
you just walk around the dealership, and comment on how cool each vehicle is within earshot of a customer.

j/k i dunno, probably a gopher.
CrabhartLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Ling_650vette Send a message via Yahoo to Ling_650vette

If its what Im thinking, you basically walk around the lot and jot down the stock # of the cars that're dirty then get the keys and detail 'em so they're nice and purty.

Basically...you're a detailer.

R.I.P. Sgt Donnie Levens - We'll never forget you brother
Ling_650vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
SSU barbarian
Garage is empty, add now

You'll move cars around, wash them, detail them when they're sold...real easy stuff.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
you just walk around the dealership, and comment on how cool each vehicle is within earshot of a customer.
If someone wants to pay me to do that... Where do i sign?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11

The correct term for it is Lot Porter... As stated above, you pull cars into sevice from the work lot to the assigned tech working the vehicle... Pull cars out of service that are done being worked on & onto the service drive... Cars that have been sold but have not been picked up by the customer yet, you will drive down to make ready for a wash & shine... You might also have to clean the service bays with a floor machine & take out trash as well, atleast they do here at my work.

Mike
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
Tech Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to WhiteKnightZ28

If its anything like what I got stuck doing you'll...

Wahs the new cars when they come off the truck
Wash the new cars once a week
Wash the trade in cars
Vacume the trade in cars (this can be an awfull job)
Wash the used cars once a week
Wash+detail the cars that get sold
Move cars around the lot
Do lots of odd jobs (bring cars in and out of bays, sweep floors ect...)

Its really not a bad job for a high-school kid to have, but it may be hard work depending on your boss and how buisy the dealership is.

1992 Miata (no *****)
2005 STi (Daily driver/rally ricer)
2000 Schweizer 300CB (wirlybird)
WhiteKnightZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Lordsauran Send a message via Yahoo to Lordsauran

Haha actually everyones wrong, Porters are called porters, a lot boy is a person that walks aroudn the dealershit all day and finds when there are salespeople with a customer, then you have to log them with that customer into a database, ex: you find the salesman Joe with a Couple; so you basically go onto a pc and put Joe outside with couple. The whole point of the job is so salesman cant have a customer and have them walk off the lot without the Managers knowing, so they can figure out how many customers are leaving without buying cars. It really gay, It usually gets hot as **** during summer, and cold as **** during winter, I did this for 4 months until I couldnt take it any more

2002 Trans Am WS-6 A4 #963|341rwhp 354rwtq| Just bolt on's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
He pulled me over because he disagreed with my testing of the Nitto tires on a public street.
My Myspace
Lordsauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Hmmm.. Any other suggestions for a job with something to do with car stuff? Incase I can't find anything

Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Lordsauran Send a message via Yahoo to Lordsauran

Porters dont have a bad job, at least its not as gay as the lot boy job, you can try that

2002 Trans Am WS-6 A4 #963|341rwhp 354rwtq| Just bolt on's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
He pulled me over because he disagreed with my testing of the Nitto tires on a public street.
My Myspace
Lordsauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

i used to be a porter at a mercedes/ porsche dealership, but got bumped up to a position that i'm not sure what to call. it's not a bad job depending on how busy the dealership is and how much help you have. pick a dealership with some high end cars and if you play your cards right you'll get to drive some bad *** cars (and i don't mean just putting around the lot ,my record for work is 155 mph). however you have to remember it's an entry level job so if you screw up or don't pull your weight you can be easily replaced. also if you pick the right dealership you can get paid fairly well. 90% of the time it beats retail/food and desk jobs. but there are times where that 10% will make you hate your job. but i think that goes for any job

98 Trans Am, M6, McLeod twin disk, S60, LME 408, TFS 225's, Synergy Motorsports Custom cam Synergy Motorsports custom duals, 569 rwhp 538 rwtq Synergy built T56
transAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to john_matrix

I was a porter at two different dealerships.

Pretty good job, kept busy and got to drive mustangs.

Still fun to beat up GTs, though.

My record was only 120.
john_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

I call ours the wash boy, he does everything described above plus help pick up and deliver cars, chase parts and mow the grass. We don't, however, require any of the lot boy "espionage" that Lordsauran described *creepy* it is just basic manual labor.
I did the job here for three years while I finished college. You'd probly enjoy it

2002 35th SS LE headers & tuning only
RobertR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

How much did it pay? Right now my job as valet is paying about $11 an hour, but I have to drive 40 minutes to work. And when its slow I don't make jack squat. Hell, if I could make $11 an hour doing that, there are 3 new car dealerships within walking distance of my apartment.
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Last time I walked into an auto zone an employee told me "have you tried to google it? I dont even really work on cars"
Its like having a vegetarian as head chef at a steak house
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
12 Second Club
1988 Porsche 944
My Garage

I did a buck-fitty in a bolt-on terminator a couple years ago, that's my max with a dealership car...
2006 Sequoia tow rig

"Oh, you think that's funny? How 'bout I show you my ***** right now and you can tell me if they shrunk, huh? No, for your information, I have full-size *****. Next question." -Kenny Powers
baddogz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #16
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Porter How about lot jockey; that's what the tech's call them.
2002 NBM Camaro SS - TFS 215 59cc Heads, Vindicator .608/.596 240/244 112+4 Cam, 85MM TB, Dynatech LTs, Custom Catback, Midwest Chassis Fabricated 9" Rear, AFCO CoilOvers, Custom Subframe Connectors, Custom Tune
technical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Ling_650vette Send a message via Yahoo to Ling_650vette

I was just called a detail tech at the 2 I worked at.

Did it for a little over a year combined, and while the Chevy dealer was fun as hell the Audi/VW/Mitsu dealer sucked goat ****. I ended up just walking out on that job b/c the boss was a complete tool bag.

The "thanks" you get with that job sucks tho. Most sales guys act like you're doing them a special favor detailing their customers cars and then they want it 5 minutes after they hand you the keys. (Not all of them are, but I can almost guarantee you there'll be a couple if you end up detailing).

It can be hard, non-stop work too. When you've got sold cars all backed up on top of service washs (if the dealer offers that package) that're filthy as sin, and everyone is bitching at you for not working fast enough.

All in all, its a thankless job but even handing the keys over to a customer and hearing them say "Damn, that looks great" was worth it on occasion for me. That (and depending upon your age) you get to drive some killer vehicles. I got to be the first to drive the Silverado SS, as well as the 50th anniversary vert and Z06 we got in when I was at Chevy. At the Audi/Mitsu/VW dealer, I never got to drive an RS4 or WTF ever its called, but I did get to drive a few S4s as well as some A8s ($80k car and being 22 y/o, talk about pimpin )

All in all, its great for a PT job if you're young and into cars. Its hard work, but its a sweet gig to be able to say you got to drive the new Z06 before the owner .

R.I.P. Sgt Donnie Levens - We'll never forget you brother
Ling_650vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Scotty-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin red TA
You'll move cars around, wash them, detail them when they're sold...real easy stuff.
Yup.

Just take care of them all as if they were your own cars. No beating on them or anything.
Scotty-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronZ28
How much did it pay?

We pay ours $7.50-$8.50 per hour. Those big city guys may pay a little more though.

I've drag raced everything from Z06's to Duramax Diesels down here, usually the start is on the three lane right in front of the dealership. The best one was probly me and my boss(the owner) in a stock 98 Firehawk vs. a brand new 99 XJR Jag.(supercharged V8). From a dig I stayed in front 'till he got to the top of second, then he was gone. By slightly over a buck-forty I could tell it was no use and let off.

2002 35th SS LE headers & tuning only
RobertR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to john_matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
I was just called a detail tech at the 2 I worked at.

Did it for a little over a year combined, and while the Chevy dealer was fun as hell the Audi/VW/Mitsu dealer sucked goat ****. I ended up just walking out on that job b/c the boss was a complete tool bag.

The "thanks" you get with that job sucks tho. Most sales guys act like you're doing them a special favor detailing their customers cars and then they want it 5 minutes after they hand you the keys. (Not all of them are, but I can almost guarantee you there'll be a couple if you end up detailing).

It can be hard, non-stop work too. When you've got sold cars all backed up on top of service washs (if the dealer offers that package) that're filthy as sin, and everyone is bitching at you for not working fast enough.

All in all, its a thankless job but even handing the keys over to a customer and hearing them say "Damn, that looks great" was worth it on occasion for me. That (and depending upon your age) you get to drive some killer vehicles. I got to be the first to drive the Silverado SS, as well as the 50th anniversary vert and Z06 we got in when I was at Chevy. At the Audi/Mitsu/VW dealer, I never got to drive an RS4 or WTF ever its called, but I did get to drive a few S4s as well as some A8s ($80k car and being 22 y/o, talk about pimpin )

All in all, its great for a PT job if you're young and into cars. Its hard work, but its a sweet gig to be able to say you got to drive the new Z06 before the owner .
I would agree with everything said above about this job.

Def. more fun during summer and if there are other goofballs around too.
john_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
boy, car, dealer, dealership, detailer, hour, job, jobs, lot, make, paid, porter, porters, tech, texas