Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default how much do professional athletes run a day

i was asking this because i got alot of free time lately work is slow. and ive went from jogging 2 miles a day.... thats one trip to the spot i got measured and back its exactly 2 miles ....im doing it 4 times a day now ...which is like 8 miles and at first im tired then towards the last ones i feel really energetic . and yes i it takes up most of my day i have 2 days doing this currently. so is this a good workout or am i over doing it. how much do you guys run?
ls1passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

by the way i only drink water and eat pretty healthy.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

I run a couple times a week. I'm not sure on the distance but I would wager that it's about a mile. I don't walk and I just push myself to keep running even though I want to stop. Thats where I'm at right now, I'll add more distance as I get more fit.

Z28_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28_LT1 View Post
I run a couple times a week. I'm not sure on the distance but I would wager that it's about a mile. I don't walk and I just push myself to keep running even though I want to stop. Thats where I'm at right now, I'll add more distance as I get more fit.
yea i jog but early on like my first 2 runs i jog/walk because it takes me a couple of miles to warm up ...im gonna go for my second one in a bit ..gets boring after awhile though i need to get my ipod from home
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Way off topic, but are you a Fresno guy? I could have sworn you raced one of my buds and there was some type of dispute over nitrous or something a while back. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I figure won't hurt to ask.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

How long is it taking you each time? Just curious.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
TECH Junkie
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 95
Send a message via AIM to ROCNDAV Send a message via MSN to ROCNDAV Send a message via Yahoo to ROCNDAV

My kid was running 5 or 6 miles a day in cross country, so I'd say a professional runs more than that.
2002 SS Convertible -#2742 UMI SFC, LCA & C5 Brakes
ROCNDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCNDAV View Post
My kid was running 5 or 6 miles a day in cross country, so I'd say a professional runs more than that.
x2, I run casually on days when im not in the gym and I run 5 miles every second day.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

I remember when I ran track in college, I was running in excess of 5 miles a day, and I was a high jumper. The distance/cross country guys were averaging 100 miles a week.

It all depends on the sport as to how much running an athlete does. I think I ran more in high school for soccer training than I did in college, but consider the difference in sports.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
I remember when I ran track in college, I was running in excess of 5 miles a day, and I was a high jumper. The distance/cross country guys were averaging 100 miles a week.

It all depends on the sport as to how much running an athlete does. I think I ran more in high school for soccer training than I did in college, but consider the difference in sports.
Good Post,

Like the poster said above it really depends on the athletic sport that each person trains for. As an exercise physiologist/strenght and conditioning coach. I design programs based on specificity to the sport and the particular time that the athlete is in as far as it relates to the competitive season.

For example I helped test and advise a 23 year old athlete that was training for the olympics several years ago. His average week to after coming off his last race was about 70miles a week. In preperation for the olympic time trials we gradually over the course of several months bumped his training all the way up to 175 miles a week. With lower mile weeks spaced out inbetween for proper rest.

Another athlete we had was a college football player. He never ran more than 5-7 miles a week pre seasn. We conditioned him in the anaerobic training zone with different sprinting and resistance training protocols that programs like P90x or crossfit are based on.

Both athletes by time of competition were in incredible shape. But each had a drastically different training program based on specifics to their respective sport.

Regardless of what program you train for. Gradual progression back into exercise is the key. For example if your goal is to run 5 miles every day, you certainly dont start at 5 miles the first time out. The body needs time to adapt and repair between new bouts of exercise. If not overuse injuries such as shine splits can pop up and limit or prevent continued exercise.

P.S. sorry for any typos, I am posting from my Iphone...LOL
2010 SRT8 M6 Challenger KB powered, first ever none LS car in my life.

www.fquick.com/D-Webz
D-Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Way off topic, but are you a Fresno guy? I could have sworn you raced one of my buds and there was some type of dispute over nitrous or something a while back. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I figure won't hurt to ask.
yup thats me along time ago 2 thats old news..point i didnt spray he lied the end...either way i dont live there anymore havent for a long time im in sandiego now so ive slimmed down to great shape ......why do you ask im going down there in a couple of weeks just so you know ask around in and out everyone there knows me
Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

What kind of Professional Athletes?

I do Marathons and the such and some of the top Athletes in the field put in 70-100 miles a week + weight training, etc.
Mavmavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavmavv View Post
What kind of Professional Athletes?

I do Marathons and the such and some of the top Athletes in the field put in 70-100 miles a week + weight training, etc.
any realy just wondering i was only use to 4 miles a day tops but averaged 2 per day...8 doesnt feel that hard but i will really know in a week or two when it takes affect
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

A pro triathlete I spent some time with last week told me he averages 80-100 miles per week....he specializes on the half ironman distance (70.3). In addition, he of course does lots of swimming and biking each week too, depending on when his next race is and at what point in his preparation he is at.

Distance per week will vary drastically depending on what the athlete is preparing for.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Sales2@Texas-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1passion View Post
yup thats me along time ago 2 thats old news..point i didnt spray he lied the end...either way i dont live there anymore havent for a long time im in sandiego now so ive slimmed down to great shape ......why do you ask im going down there in a couple of weeks just so you know ask around in and out everyone there knows me
Lol. Relax man, I know its old news. Just wondering if you're the same dude.

Anyways, back on topic. I know that a lot of people who are in cross-country run 6-8 in a day. That's insane in my opinion. The most I've ran was like 2 miles and I was pretty beat. I don't know how they do it.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Lol. Relax man, I know its old news. Just wondering if you're the same dude.

Anyways, back on topic. I know that a lot of people who are in cross-country run 6-8 in a day. That's insane in my opinion. The most I've ran was like 2 miles and I was pretty beat. I don't know how they do it.
yea man my bad its just that guy talks so big and lies so much i called him out for the rematch on video with both cars getting searched and he backed out several times and just made dumb comments ....either way hes old news i tried being cool with him but **** it i dont need that in my life any more if you know what i mean ....yea i jog/walk the first 4 then run the last 4 but the first ones always get you worse
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
Haterator
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta

Be careful you're not overtraining. Make sure you're giving your body time to recover.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Launching!
1998 Chevrolet Corvette

Trader Rating: 7

Yeah just make sure you are getting a decent amount of rest in between. You are doing your body no good if you go hardcore and it can't keep up. I got me a bad knee and ankles for pushing to hard and being too young, stupid and stubborn to rest. Don't worry about what the pro's can do. Just focus on what you can do and go from there. As long as you stay committed and push yourself right you will make some good gains and will feel great in the process.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

ive noticed my left ankle hurts untill it heats up i might have to take it down a notch
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
I knows it all
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 8

My advice is to bring GOOD music that will motivate you as well as set small goals.... OK gotta get to 1 mile, then two, then push your self for that last mile, etc etc.
I jog around 3.25 miles a day at about 6.2 mph but I was doing 6 miles at 7.6+mph at one time, you just have to train and keep at it... and MUSIC! Some songs will give you that extra adrenaline you need sometimes!
Super Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
62, athlete, athletes, day, fast, mile, miles, mph, pro, professional, proffesional, run, songs, track, train