Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 2
Default car insurance question. can i insure a car registered to a deceased person?

as some know, my father passed away about 3 weeks ago and i am up in wisconsin visiting with my younger sister currently. We have an attorney handling my fathers estate and my sisters don't really want either of his cars. they would rather have me either 1. take them and sell them along with my malibu and buy something newer or 2. sell his impala and my malibu and drive his 04 mustang 'vert (what i'm thinking, they suggested the first option)

my question is, if the lawyer hasn't yet released the titles of the cars back to us to go get transferred, can i put his mustang under my car insurance and drive it? i have a buyer for my malibu at christmas most likely (one of this friends who is 87 and needs a cheap car) but want to make sure i won't run into any legal problems. i've had a car in his name insured by my insurance co before a few years ago but that was while he was still alive obviously.

has anyone here delt with estates and cars before?

thanks.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears
1995blacktattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Jon5212

Does it currently have insurance on it? If not you most likely can't insure it under your own policy since you aren't the owner of the vehicle. I wouldn't chance driving it until you get everything squared away.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Sorry for your loss. The only way you can get a correct answer is to call your adjuster, everyone on here is just going to have an idea.
camaro-94-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

sorry for your loss also
i would have to say no just because i believe for someone to insure a car that is someone elses car the other person would have to be there. i could walk in and take my sisters car an insure it but i would need proof that it is mine. you might be able to add yourself to the plan but being that you arent the owner yet, i dont think you will be able to. also imagine if you got pulled over. you might confuse the cop
2009 WH GXP #129/1829 - Livernois 224/236 612 cam, Maggie 2300, 3" pulley, 60# injectors, BAP, Kook's Shorties, LS7 lifters, Corsa Exhaust w/
SLP LM2 mufflers and cutouts, CNC heads, 3.70 rear, Yank 3200 stall, Snow Meth kit, 2 JL 10w3's, Senator spoiler. 554rwhp/442rwtq
2008 LIQUID RED G8 GT- Rotofab, Polished Camaro 20's **FOR SALE** 1999 Satin Black Trans am - sold

my bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

it does currently have insurance but only liability and i'll most likely put full coverage on it. i know it can insure it myself on my own policy with only the VIN but i am more concerned about the legality of doing so in case something were to happen. i'm planning on going south for a month and a half or so in january and am planning on taking the mustang for the trip.

FWIW i have insured one of his cars on my own insurance before but that was while he was still alive. i didn't have to do anything other than add the car to the policy with the VIN and when i got pulled over a few months later for speeding, the cop didn't say anything about the mismatch of the names on the registration and insurance. i was living with my dad at the time of his death so my drivers license and the car are both registered at the same address FWIW.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

In regards to insurance, did he leave a will? The answer to this question would have a major bearing on the disposition of his property (including automobiles).

Assuming he had a will, then you should be okay to insure the vehicle(s). The insurance company will probably want to see a death certificate, and perhaps a copy of the will. Probate court can take months to settle an estate, and the insurance company knows this. If you are willing to pay a premium, then I'm sure they'd be willing to take your money, and insure the car.

If your father died without a will, then I'd think you are going to have difficulties.

My step-father passed away in 2008. He left the bulk of his estate to his 2 children. He did leave his 2001 BMW M5 to my mom. My mom hasn't driven a manual transmission car in years, and wanted nothing to do with the car. She gave the car to her late husband's oldest son, and it's been his daily driver ever since. My step father's estate was not finallly settled in probate court until a couple of months ago (2+ years since his passing).

ZigZagZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Yes you can, usually I don't title the cars I buy but I always get them insured under me.

Current Cars -2004 F250 6in lift on 35's
80 Trans Am S/E LQ4 6.0 and forged 18's.
2004 Escalade 6in lift on 35's
retardedpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZ View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

In regards to insurance, did he leave a will? The answer to this question would have a major bearing on the disposition of his property (including automobiles).

Assuming he had a will, then you should be okay to insure the vehicle(s). The insurance company will probably want to see a death certificate, and perhaps a copy of the will. Probate court can take months to settle an estate, and the insurance company knows this. If you are willing to pay a premium, then I'm sure they'd be willing to take your money, and insure the car.

If your father died without a will, then I'd think you are going to have difficulties.

My step-father passed away in 2008. He left the bulk of his estate to his 2 children. He did leave his 2001 BMW M5 to my mom. My mom hasn't driven a manual transmission car in years, and wanted nothing to do with the car. She gave the car to her late husband's oldest son, and it's been his daily driver ever since. My step father's estate was not finallly settled in probate court until a couple of months ago (2+ years since his passing).
thanks,

we never did find the official copy of his will but my sister saw an older copy a few years ago and it basically follows what would happen without a will. it stated that his assets would be split 3 ways between my sisters and i and they already said they don't really want the cars since they have newer cars so they want me to take the value of the 2 cars as part of my 1/3 and either sell both of them and my malibu and buy something newer or sell the impala and my malibu and keep the mustang. so the cars really are not an issue as far as who is going to get them. i figure the mustang is worth $7500, the impala about $3500 and my malibu is about $1500. basically id have around $12k for a newer car or i could just keep the mustang and have a little extra cash. i figure financially since i'm not working right now and i probably am going to have to live on the inheretance for awhile until i get on my feet, my best bet would be to just keep the mustang and get rid of the other 2. that way i get something nicer and newer with very little out of pocket expense (basically the increase of $150 every 6 months on insurance over the liability i pay on the malibu to get full coverage on the stang.) I just need to make sure i can drive it in the winter. i may not even be staying in indiana long term anyway.

FWIW the 2 cars i was looking at (06-08 G6 GT and 06-07 Monte Carlo LT) cost more to insure than the mustang does.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-07-2010 at 08:18 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 86

Call your ins company, give them the VIN and Bam its insured. They won't ask if the owner is deceased, only likely do you own the car and is there a lien on it from a bank. They likely will not do full coverage until they can personally inspect it, to note current damages that already exist on the car.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Call your ins company, give them the VIN and Bam its insured. They won't ask if the owner is deceased, only likely do you own the car and is there a lien on it from a bank. They likely will not do full coverage until they can personally inspect it, to note current damages that already exist on the car.
indiana doesn't inspect cars for damage to get full coverage. at least they didn't when i bought my trans am back here from AZ. Florida did that though. i can do everything online actually via progressive.com. i'm more worried about the what if's like if i was involved in an accident and it was found that the car was still registered to a deceased person. i guess it's not really that big of a deal. i doubt an insurance company would deny a claim based on who the registered owner is especially when the insurance will be in my name and the car eventually will too once the estate is settled.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11

We had something kind of similar recently (within the past year) with my Grandma who passed away. My dad had power of attorney over her estate (and Nissan Sentra), and we had to wait for the death certificate to become official before we could do anything at all. Then I believe it was a matter of transferring the title over from the MVD at that point.

That's in AZ though.

Have you called your insurance company and asked yet? From your posts, it looks like no
Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt View Post
We had something kind of similar recently (within the past year) with my Grandma who passed away. My dad had power of attorney over her estate (and Nissan Sentra), and we had to wait for the death certificate to become official before we could do anything at all. Then I believe it was a matter of transferring the title over from the MVD at that point.

That's in AZ though.

Have you called your insurance company and asked yet? From your posts, it looks like no
no i haven't. as far as death certificates, he died almost 3 weeks ago and we have them already.

*edit* i just called progressive and they said it would be no issue at all to add the car and drive it with it registed in his name until i can get it registered in mine after the probate court is finished. the only issue will be with the state and getting the car re-registered in my name when the plates expire in april. hopefully the probate process, at least the part pertaining to that car will be finished by then.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-08-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 86

Changint titles and insuring the car are two completely different things. You can call up and insure yourself on your neighbors car if you want. It doesn't make a **** to the ins company. Now when you are driving the neighbors car, the question of if you have permission is between you, the neighbor, and John Q Law.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Changint titles and insuring the car are two completely different things. You can call up and insure yourself on your neighbors car if you want. It doesn't make a **** to the ins company. Now when you are driving the neighbors car, the question of if you have permission is between you, the neighbor, and John Q Law.
yeah i figured as much since i had that 95 subaru wagon for a year or so with it registered in his name and insured in mine before i got my sisters old malibu and titled that in my name and donated the subaru to charity but i thought there might be a difference now that he is deceased. i just hope i can get the car registered in my name before the plates expire in april.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, dead, deceased, driving, estate, father, florida, indiana, insurance, insure, insured, owner, person, persons, registered, sons