Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Dogmeat Send a message via Yahoo to Dogmeat
Default Crappy GM paint ....?

Ok, I've started to notice a trend here I think...

My family owns three 2000-model GM vehicles. Two pickups and a Trans Am ... Each and every one of these vehicles is experienceing paint chipping, my pickup being the worst, but the Trans Am being a close second....

It seems like every time I drive this car (Trans Am) the paint chips off of it....

I've heard from several other people that late-model GM paint is basically crap, but I'm curious what all of your opinions on this subject are .... I just find it really curious that a vehicle that is garaged and barley driven 3000 miles a year has such problems with paint flaking and chipping

A few minor mods
Dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Staging Lane
2009 Dodge Challenger

Send a message via AIM to Phoenix WS6

Aye, I've been touch up painting the hell out of a spot by my foglight that keeps chipping and getting bigger. Gotta get that in and get it done right... but I'm poor
Old 11-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

i HAVE A 98 CAMARO, A 96 LUMINA (sorry caps lock) and the paint not the best is ok, you have to put attention to details like time in the sun, (when it was at the dealership) weather etc, my father has had two ferraris 328, 348, beater both of them, the only thing about the ferraris is the smell.... hmmmmmmm!, doooooooooohhhhhh (with homer voice).
THAT PAINT REALLY SUCKS!
scratches as easily as seeing it, even the cars came directly from factory, (I went to receive the 328 at the door factory!) it had diferent tones of the paint.

the best paints Ive seein are the (hurt to say) Honda, and mercedes....
bulletLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

subaru seems to be painting their cars well these days too. Or at least the WRX's/STi's I've been seeing...
Old 11-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via MSN to longdaddy

GM paint =
Old 11-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

All car companies have been getting worse. They've all been progressively reducing the thickness of the paint, and have been reducing the amount of prepwork over the past 15 years or so. My dad used to take cars - Corvettes, Cadillacs, Range Rovers, etc., off the transports and straight into the paint booth because some of the factory jobs were that bad. I'd rather pay an extra hundred or so to have a factory paint job that would last, but unfortunately most companies are just looking at ways to shave off a bit more expense to increase their bottom line.
'02 Black SS <go figure> #10,223 A4. SLP lid and bellows, Pacesetters, NGK, MSD, Magnaflow muffler swap, and a few bolt-ons in the works. Stinks to be poor. Baseline Dyno
'91 White 3.1L RS A4 with gold racing stripes. Beautiful car, but it's deceased.
2002BlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to CrabhartLS1

I've had very good luck with GM paint. I had a white 95' tahoe that never had chipping or peeling problems. The only vehicle i've had that had paint problems of any kind was a 97 black dodge ram. 96-98 seems to be the worst time for car paint for some reason. I've seen plenty of similar year rams that had the same problem.
CrabhartLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to SmokingWS6 Send a message via Yahoo to SmokingWS6

I've had my front clip and headlight cover repainted. New clear coat on the hood. Front fenders wet sanded to match the asc hood which has no orange peel. Now i'm happy with it

09 G8 GT, new toy. stock for now, tuned by me

04 Silverado ECSB 4.8 4x2, stock, tuned by me

98 Trans Am WS6 - Heads/Cam, the usuals. Tuned by me. sold.
SmokingWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
11 Second Club
1993 Ford Mustang
My Garage

My camaro's clear peeled off the frnt/rear bumpers and was warranty painted.It seems thin as it chips off the front fenders behind the wheels pretty heavy but looks perfect on the repainted rear bumper[which gets hammered by burnouts].My 04 silv is black and the damn entire pass hood crease where the hood is flat on then has a 90* bend to the fender is so freakin thin you can see the grey primer from front to rear.My dealers body shop said to wait for a year or 2 when the front gets chipped and they would repaint the entire hood.
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT Made the kessel run in 12 parsecs
glennster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Send a message via MSN to Swang

well you know why our paint seems to have a texture to it? a machine prep or paint as well as a human. were getting more automated and shittier.
Arctic White 2000 SS Camaro M6 #6158
Hurst | SLP SS Grille | SLP CME | SLP Lid | LS7 Clutch| SLP Bilsteins | Strano Springs | Strano Hollow Swar Bars
Swang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

I hate the paint GM used on my 2000 Z28... all you have to do is breath on it and it'll chip off (lol, it's bad but not 'that' bad)... Is getting it repainted the only thing you can do? or is there some favored brand of ultra-protective wax that i havent heard about?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

I think Mitsu has the worst paint....on their yellow and red they used 1 stage paint. I've heard a lot of people with Evo's complaining about the crappy paint and their car isn't even 2 years old yet.
mattkimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Tudds

Our cars have orange peel but most do these days. If your paint is chipping a lot and flaking it was probably repaired unless you bought the car new.
Tudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to 2KThunder

Yeah search my threads here. My dads truck its flaking off the bumper and my 00 has the 'bubbling we admit we fucked up and wont repaint your car' problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
LS1Tech Administrator
1998 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 3

I've had many GM vehicles. Most recent models include:

- 2004 Cavalier
- 2000 Trans Am
- 1999 Camaro
- 1998 Camaro
- 1996 Bonneville

I haven't had any paint issues with any of these cars. No major chipping, no easy scratching, no peeling or cracking, nothing at all really.

The Cavalier is my wifes car. It sees no expressway driving, we've had it since fall of '03. Paint is perfect.

The Bonneville is my daily driver. It sees constant expressway action (my commute), and therefore has some minor chips here and there due to highway debris from trucks, rocks, etc. Nothing more than any other make of car that sees lots of expressway miles though.

My 2 Camaros and 1 Trans Am never had any major issues either. They have all been fair weather drivers though, with no winter/salt/rain exposure. I know they have all had a couple very minor chips in the front clip over the years from rocks or road debris, but nothing serious or easily noticeable.

I wax my cars a lot. Maybe that helps. My Bonneville is just a hair shy of 10 years old now, it's been used every winter, sits outside all day, sees 75% expressway/25% city use, and the paint still looks great, better than many newer cars. Honestly, I haven't seen any paint issues on my GM cars that I haven't see on similar aged cars from any other manufacturer

Previous LSx Vehicles:
2002 Camaro Z28 | 2000 Trans Am WS6 | 1999 Camaro Z28

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-01-2005 at 12:39 PM..
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #16
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

My moms Camry has orange peel.....also the Honda Pilot parked beside me today had it. I guess for the most part, you aren't going to get a 5k paint job on a factory car.....unless the car cost a lot.
mattkimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #17
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 50

I vote that Dodge has the worst paint ever. It's thin and scratches VERY easily. Mostly on the trucks.
Built 4L80E, CircleD Multi-Disk, 3.42's, ValueTrac, Baer 14" brakes, Belltech 2/4 drop, Black Yukon 20s

1999 Hugger Orange Camaro Z28 427ci - SOLD
Ferocity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to CrabhartLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I vote that Dodge has the worst paint ever. It's thin and scratches VERY easily. Mostly on the trucks.
I can vouch for that.
CrabhartLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #19
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've had many GM vehicles. Most recent models include:

- 2004 Cavalier
- 2000 Trans Am
- 1999 Camaro
- 1998 Camaro
- 1996 Bonneville

I haven't had any paint issues with any of these cars. No major chipping, no easy scratching, no peeling or cracking, nothing at all really.

The Cavalier is my wifes car. It sees no expressway driving, we've had it since fall of '03. Paint is perfect.

The Bonneville is my daily driver. It sees constant expressway action (my commute), and therefore has some minor chips here and there due to highway debris from trucks, rocks, etc. Nothing more than any other make of car that sees lots of expressway miles though.

My 2 Camaros and 1 Trans Am never had any major issues either. They have all been fair weather drivers though, with no winter/salt/rain exposure. I know they have all had a couple very minor chips in the front clip over the years from rocks or road debris, but nothing serious or easily noticeable.

I wax my cars a lot. Maybe that helps. My Bonneville is just a hair shy of 10 years old now, it's been used every winter, sits outside all day, sees 75% expressway/25% city use, and the paint still looks great, better than many newer cars. Honestly, I haven't seen any paint issues on my GM cars that I haven't see on similar aged cars from any other manufacturer
I agree 100%
Phil99TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #20
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to AMack

My mom has a 03 4Runner and the hood is LITTERED with paintchips. The paint seems so thin its remarkable. Seems that most of the chips went right through the black (the color of her SUV), but didnt go through the primer/basecoat gray that was under it...but still there are tons of paintchips...

As for my car, which is original GM paint circa January 1992, it has a few very small paint chips on the hood, and i have noticed a few behind each of the front wheels. The paint is absolutely gorgeous, especially considering how old it is, and the fact that the car HAS been driven (48k miles).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, 2005, 96, bumper, cars, cavalier, defects, factory, gm, job, paint, peeling, pontiac, sucks, trans