Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 14
Default Broken finger.. partial splint or full??

I broke my middle finger on sat.. went to the ER (advice from TriCare help center) they wrapped it, I went to a follow up today at the base clinic..

The dumb *** broad that works the counter put a guard on my entire finger.. It's my first digit, tip, that is broken... I chopped the guard down to cover the first two digits of my finger. WebMD was of little help...

I think it felt better when the entire finger was splinted.. it hurts a little more now.. not bad, but tolerable.. My question is, will this effect the recovery? Should I just splint the entire finger?

I wasn't going to ask the broad that works the counter.. She my be an RN, but I do NOT trust her opinion seeing as she can't even figure out why I was there.. "oh.. It's broken?!?!" .. No dumbass, I'm just getting this for looks!!! I was getting pissed.. anyway...
2008 VW R32, #1511, DBP, aFe intake, flapper mod.
bayer-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

hah... my dad broke his middle finger about 20 years ago ... that same day we drove to his wisconsin house.. he had to drive the entire way with his hand elevated above his heart, arm out the window... with his middle digit sticking up...

no help here, but thought i'd share my story

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned w/Real Time Tuning
1987 Peugeot 505 V6 - SOLD
1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo 4 banger - SOLD
horist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

^ yeah... It's always the middle finger!! This is the second time I broke this one! the last time was 7 years ago, it was crushed, middle digit tho.... guess what happened this time!?! I crushed the sumbisch!

I was hammering a fence pole into the ground w/ a piece of concrete and I slipped... ow.... yeah, I cough the cut end of the fence post between my finger and the slab of crete I was using as a caveman hammer! "Regan SMASH!

Pics from Sat..
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Let me just check to see if I have this right..

They gave you one of those splints, which covers the entire finger.. and you cut off part of it because it was only the tip of your finger?

If thats what you did, then that was wrong. Your not supposed to do that. Go to a pharmacy or a store and buy another one and some medical tape, then tape around the outside of it.

I think it could skrew up the healing process if you keep it the way it is. They do that so you cant bend the entire finger. Not just the part that is broken..

But then again, I'm not in the medical field, but I have broke my fingers 3 different times though, never took the splint off, and theyre fine now.

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery
Provie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

^ ok.. kewl .. that's what I thought.. one part effects the other and all...

I'll buy a new one in the morning.. THanx do0d!

On the bad side, no riding for a while.. that's my FT brake finger for the quad!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

When you put it on, just make sure its not too tight or too loose. Make sure it fits to your finger though.. Use the same method that the doctor or nurse used when they put it on and you should be all good. As stupid as that lady may have appeared, chances are they did do it correctly.

I'd imagine you'd know how to do it though, since you said you have broken a finger before. If it is bothering you during the day, just call up the doctors office and see if they could give you any tips about putting it on.
Provie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

One day while mowing the lawn I stuck my hand into the grass catcher a little too far and the tip of the blade whacked my middle finger for a nice little fracture.

Now the tip of my middle finger is ever so slightly bent to the left.

So now when I have to flip the bird it's a little more gruesome.

This is a true story from my *Tales from the Tubes* collection.

eddieroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

^Yeah, my middle finger has been bent for years now.. 7 Years ago, I crushed it between a lunette and a pintle hitch.

"my middle finger won't go down.. how do I wa......" oh yeah!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Like others have said keep the whole finger splinted up and wear it as much as you can. Do take a little time to take off the splint and kind of bend it a little just to exercise it. Take a little ibuprofen to reduce the swelling when needed.

I dislocated my pinky over a month ago and it kind of sucks. Still cant make a fist and keep hitting it =/

I havnt had any good experiences with military health care myself. Dislocated pinky and drove myself to the base clinic....IT WAS CLOSED AT 3pm. Spend 30 minutes driving to another military medical hospital and sat in the emergency room for bout 2 hours before someone gave me an ice pack. Sat another hour before they took xrays. Spent ANOTHER hour before they looked at the xrays and snapped it back into place...

or your a ***** for saying the rain hurt you
pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:23 AM   #10
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to SpaZMaN

You always support the joint above and below the break, so yes, keep them all wrapped!

99 Camaro Z/28 Sold
1971 Camaro /Z28, At least it "looks" stock.
^^^Video^^^
100k miles stronger. 1320 feet faster.
SpaZMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Yes, go for the entire splint! The splint will ensure that you heal properly and enable you to have correct movement of the joints when the splint is removed.
As you're healing, here's a little humor for you...my friend Brad broke his femur (upper leg), and tibia(lower leg). A group of us sat just outside the emergency room as Brad was being treated by the doctor. The doctor asked Brad, "does THIS hurt?", as he moved Brad's leg. Brad screamed, "OF COURSE IT HURTS YOU F_____ ASSH___.....IT'S BROKEN!!!!!!"
A wave of laughter went up and down the hallway. Obviously, at the time, Brad didn't think it was funny, but we laughed about it much later.
gMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

i have broken many fingures and the splints only lasted about half a day before i took them completely off. i hate splints
99 t/a black t-tops, lid and filter, nitrous outlet halo dry kit, nitto dr's, 3.42 gear, tubular rear lca's, panhard bar, adj short t/a, circle d 3-3200 converter, pacesetter long tubes. old times pb bottle 11.97@117 pb n/a 12.89@107 w/3.73 new times soon-sold but not forgoten new ls1 soon i hope
millersta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

THese dumb borads at "MIL Medicine", I was told my a Captain to go there and get the splint, I show up and the two broads that work at the counter (Dumb frickin Korean broads, just them not all Koreans)... , "What u here for? Oh... What u name?" another one: "What u here for? You have appointment? No, no, that family practice.. Go there.. Oh Captain Jack told you come here? You sure?" Gives me splint: "Oh, it's broken?!" No, I'm just wearing this for attention!!! YES YOU DUMBF**K!!

I f**k**g HATE GOING THERE just because I have to deal w/ those dumb broads who can't even take a damn appointment! And there's obviously some communication problems in that section!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to slick1851

Def go with a full!
slick1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to slick1851

Yeah ive always been told to full splint, and then wrap it a little on the good finger if you get what im saying
slick1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
TECH Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

I got the full splint today.. I'll wear it all the time.. I don't really mind it but it feels a lot better then the half splint.. My finger's just bent, so it doesn't line up all the way.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersta View Post
i have broken many fingures and the splints only lasted about half a day before i took them completely off. i hate splints
coincidence?

or your a ***** for saying the rain hurt you
pengu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
broken, digit, finger, fingers, hurting, ice, lawn, moved, mower, pack, pussy, splint, splinted, starting, time