Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4
Default Any union millwrights/ steel workers in here? Questions

Well first i will begin by introducing myself, my names matt and im from a town west of cleveland in ohio. Im 18 years old and currently employed as a mechanic. I work at cleveland Pick A Part as a viper-corvette builder. Not too long ago a good friend of my dad's told about his steel company that he works for (Mittal Steel) in cleveland ohio was hiring through an employment connection office. Me and 4 other guys that my dad knew all went and filled out applications and turned in our resume's. I am currently going through college to be a mechanical engineer (about to start my 2nd year) and was able to put in some decent information on my resume'. A couple months later (about a week ago) I received a letter saying that I had made it to the next step of the hiring process at their company and they wanted me to come in for testing this friday. They say they are interested in me for their MTM/MTE position. After talking to my father's buddy who works there, he told me this is the millwright/ or electrician occupation. Which both start out at 70k+. Now as far as my experience goes, I have studied and have a lot of experience with industrial equipment ( i was a maintenance mechanic at a landscaping company for 4 years ) and I do feel i have the mechanical skill to do the job. But the question is, do I have the brains? I have been reading books non-stop since i got the letter about everything from bearings to hydraulics, electric motors, rigging, and the list goes on. From the information gathered I will be taking the ramsey test (sp?). What does this test test on and how hard is it? Am i in for a rude awakening? I am hoping someone on this website has maybe taken this test or even better yet is a millwright and can point me in the wright direction. I know they also do apprenticeships so im also looking towards that route. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If this helps---

I have experience with all kinds of welding, brazing, soldering, heat treating, use of mill, lathe, etc...
Knowledge of hydraulics, belts drives, engines, transmissions, electrical systems,
And I have studied- Industrial Blueprint reading, Strength of materials, Fluid Power, Technical Problem Solving, Manufacturing Processes, Metalworking, Industrial Construction,
And as far as math Im in a technical math w/ Calc class currently.
2004 Cadillac Green CTS-V
yamablaster024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
TECH Addict
1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 73
Send a message via AIM to CJDZ24_Z28 Send a message via Yahoo to CJDZ24_Z28

I'm a union Carpenter and the Millwrights are part of our Union. Millwrights rate in NJ is $39.12 a hour. Its a pretty involved job. I will have to talk to one of my buddies later in the week that is a millwright and get back to you
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L(Pewter)

PAST LSX-00(LPM)C5 FRC M6/99(Blk) C5 FRC M6/99(BLK)Z28 M6/99(NBM)SS M6/01(BLK)SS M6/99(NBM)B4C A4/98(BLK)TA A4/98(BGM)Z28 M6/00Formula(pwtr)M6/00 TA WS6(BLK)M6/00(BLK)Formula M6/00(MMM)Z28 M6/98Formula(BGM)M6/98 TA WS6(Blk)M6/99 +1
CJDZ24_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

I believe "choppin-suey" is a union ironworker.
INMY01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

I worked in a pipe mill for a few years as a crane operator and laborer. A couple of my good friends were millwrights and electricians. If you have a decent understanding of electric and mechanical, "problem solving", and can read a wiring diagram you should be good to go. The mill I worked at was an older one, pretty outdated, still used hot welding to do the pipe, so heat would cause most of the failures there. Mostly motors going bad on the electric side. On the millwright side of things it is something mechanical breaking or wearing, such as broken parts or worn parts causing problems.
turningfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Garage is empty, add now

This may be a little bit late for your original post but there is a great website for EVERYTHING related to Union Millwrighting - MillwrightMasters.com

I hope this helps you and others.

Good Luck,
Chubby
Chubby69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

i'm a union ironworker local 63 chicago
cyacops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

This might be a very old thread But i ended up not getting the job due to the economy taking a huge dive.

However the job oppurtunity came back and I got the Job, I start May31st. I told my current employer and they are counter offering so im in a pickle.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
1967 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 63

Congrats! Some people cant find a job, two jobs want you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt View Post
If an 8th grade education is a high horse in terms of English, my horse is sitting atop Mt. Everest.
67RSCamaroVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Yea Id like to talk to someone who works as a millwright to see what I wanna do.

Millwright Job - 60-80 grand a year

Engineering Job - 45-55k a year and tuition reimbursement (im not done with my schooling yet)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 32
Send a message via AIM to 1badWS6

Take more money!
1badWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
TECH Junkie
2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 21

are you going to stay in school?
2000 Formula Firehawk #191 Sold
1999 Formula Sold
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
companies, electrical, ironworker, md, millright, millwright, mittal, mte, mtm, ramsey, ramzee, steel, test, union, worker