Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

coilovers vs shock/spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coilovers vs shock/spring

hey guys, i have a queestion, ive sene qa1 coilovers for camaro and i dont know much about them, i had a maxima that i put coilovers on and it handled great so i kinda wanted to put coilovers on a camaro. But I also here so many ppl using the koni/strano setup i think its nice but i'd really like to lower my car alot get rid of the fender gap, dont really care if its a smooth ride. So like how are the qa1 coilovers for road racing and what spring rates should i use? thanks alot - cory d
Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

QA1's can be optioned with a handling valving and spring rates.

Realistically, coil over vs shock and spring doesn't make a whole lot of difference. A coil over by nature will allow ride height adjustment when needed, but with proper valving and spring rates on a stock style suspenion, they will handle basically the same. Maybe someone who can feel the car to the absolute limit could tell a difference, but that isn't likely to be any of us street guys.

-Tim
Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Launching!

My buddy has set of coil over KONI's and I think maybe some advantages might be a lighter over all package and almost infinite ride height adjustability and it will give you ability to adjust corner weights (assuming you do coilovers/weight jackers in the rear). So in that respect there will be a potential performance advantage.

Performance wise comparing spring/shock to coilover/shock though, I don't think you could tell the difference, like NJSPEEDER mentioned. I have the Strano Springs and KONI's and the car sits greats, rides great and performs tons better than stock.

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 11-22-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Launching!

i hear so many ppl the strano/koni setup is the way to go, but i really wanna slam my car thats why i want coilovers, so the qa1's are those good shocks? and what lb spring rate should i get?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercoryd
i hear so many ppl the strano/koni setup is the way to go, but i really wanna slam my car thats why i want coilovers, so the qa1's are those good shocks? and what lb spring rate should i get?
They are saying you arn't going to get the kind of QA1's you want form a vendor here. The "off the shelf" QA1's are valved for drag racing, and you will not enjoy taking corners with them.
You will have to order them specifically for yourself directly from QA1 so they can valve them to your liking.
The Koni/strano combo is so popular because Sam Strano has been auto-xing his Camaro for years, and has tried numerous different setups and has built this setup from his experience (and won multiple SCCA champions with it).
He is actually using a custom Koni/coilover setup in the front, ask him about it.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html

Check out FRRAX, they are a fbody specific road race forum with lots of good info:
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could do the Koni/Strano package...
Then use the lower mounting point on the front konis and remove the isolater on the rear, giving you more drop.
More drop than that could mean damage, not just rough ride. You need some suspension travel.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If all you are interested is going low for the sake of going low, you need to either find some helping picking parts to get it right or you will just end up with it riding and handling like poop. Call up Strano and get some advice.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a set called ground control. This can be used with koni shocks. If you want to slam ur car dont waste the money. There are lots of lowering srings that will set it low and make it handle like . About a 3/4 drop is all you can do and still have the car work. you can always cut the stock springs and lower ur car 2 or 3 inches. I am sure that will work. Slam away

Quick Reply: coilovers vs shock/spring