Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Roll Cage starting point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage starting point?

So I'm looking at options to cage my SS for street and open track days (not racing) later this year

is there a good "off the shelf" 4 point weld-in roll bar (It'll need a harness bar) that could be used as the starting point for an 8/10 point cage to be custom built later?

Seen autopower industries and wolfe race craft and (from what ive read) the wolfe race cages dont have as good a rep as autopower, pm me if you have any reccomendations
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is the interior panels. To install a 4 point today in a street car means there will be a ton of room between the bar and body once it's built into a road race car (wheel to wheel is the only reason to build an 8-10 point cage).

And most sanctioning bodys require DOM tubing. Wolfe only uses ERW. And AP cages are built really, really small. The knee bar goes BELOW the steering column, right where your shins are.

If you are looking to go W2W someday, you really need to decise on the sanctioning body, read thier CCR and class rule book on cage specifics and make sound decisions from that point.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

ahh yeah that makes perfect sense, thanks Mitch
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I have a AutoPwr but mitchntx is right not much space would do a custom cage if I had to do it over again. But alot of NASA racers have used Auto Pwr but eventualy went custom.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage starting point?