Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What Fixed Back Racing Seat are Other Fbody Guys Running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Fixed Back Racing Seat are Other Fbody Guys Running?

I've been strongly considering picking up a fixed back seat for my 01 Trans Am. I autocross very regularly and cant stand the leather seats I have now. My main problem is that I know with most fixed back seats, you loose some headroom with the sliders attached, and I am out of headroom right now (6'1"). Are there any other tall guys that are running fixed back seats with sliders that aren't on their way to developing neck problems?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A regular ole fixxed back seat like a Kirkey or Ultr-Shield isn't sturdy enough to keep the seat planted and not move around. Have to attach a seat back brace and that attaches to a cage.

Without attaching anything to a cage, you really need an FIA seat like a Sparco.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Ive been looking at seats like the Corbeau FX1

I'm mainly looking for a seat with side mounts for seat rails and a compatible rail.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Corbeau seats are typically fabric covered steel frame seats.

The backs will flex quite a bit under heavy loading ... well, any seat will to a degree without a seat back brace.

You might see a lot of these in C5s. That's because the seat is jammed against the rear bulkhead taking the place of a seat back brace.

Corbeau's tracks are not the best ... nowhere near factory, any way. And my experience with them is probably ten years ago. the release mechanism for the off-side track was flimsy and broke several times.

Finally, you won't be gaining any head room. In fact, you might actually lose head room.

While the seat bottom is thinner, the seat adaptor (seat studs in the car to an adaptor for the Cobeau tracks) plus the track hieght, plus the side mounts far exceed the difference in foam depth in the seat.

All those pieces add up quickly.

What we do in order to get a full containment, halo seat into a road race 4th gen is weld in thickwall square tube. We notch the existing channel that the factory studs are attached to and stitch weld all the way around.

We then weld in threaded inserts in the square tubing.

Finally, we either drill holes in the seat bottom and bolt in the seat which gets you very low in the car ... almost sitting on the floor ... or use the side mounts. And in both cases, we use a seat back brace to stabilize everything.

You can sorta see it in these pics.

http://lawmotorsports.net/Pics/94%20...TealForm42.JPG

http://lawmotorsports.net/Pics/94%20...TealForm41.JPG

Last edited by mitchntx; 10-14-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man. I'm not specifically looking at the Corbeau, just that style of seat. Thank you for your advice. This is still a street car so all the welding to the floor business is not an option, I just wanted to know what brand, if any, people were running with more headroom options.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand.

The reason for the way we install a seat is because I know you've seen them installed in 4th gens without head room issues. I was trying to explain what it takes to make that happen.

Not sure where you are located, but ...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...-brackets.html

... no affiliation. Just seems like a decent deal.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Corbeau FX1 Pro is the seat I have and I hate it. Mitch and I share the same experience with breaking their sliders and at 5'-7" tall my helmets hits the roof with their horrible seat brackets so 6'-1" would be interesting. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I don't have one in my fbody, but I'm a big nut swinger for Cobra seats. I used to like Corbeau's until I sat in one; felt cheap for the price they ask.

Some good info on Cobra seats:
Manufactured for those that expect excellence, Cobra Seats designs are driven by passion and extensive competition experience. Many times imitated, but never equalled, Cobra takes the seating industry to new level of quality and performance. Cobras full line of competition seats meet or exceed the 24g 8855-1999 FIA homologation standards and accomodate 5 or 6 point harness systems. All composite seats are in Kevlar or Carbon Fiber with internal profile mounting plates giving unparalleled strength to weight characteristics. Within Cobras signature range of sport seats, all seats are equipped with Keiper double locking mechanisms with infinite adjustment, Pirelli rubber suspension, injected molded memory foam, and steel tubular frame construction for again unparalleled strength to weight characteristics of any other seat manufacturer.
The cheapest Cobra seat uses Carbon Kevlar to reinforce it, while the cheapest Sparco (or other) seat uses fiberglass and at the same price points to boot. I won't use anything other than Cobra; in fact, I just put a new Cobra Sebring Pro in my Corvette
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

From what I understand and from reading the manufactors websites most of the fixed back style race seat are meant to be incorporated with a hardbar. By know means am I MR autocross but the events that I've attended I've almost always seen hardbars with fixed back seats. My buddy has the caravaggio race seats. And they even creak @ $1100 bucks a piece( without a hardbar). And they are carbon. Its a very subjective topic and you will get a million different "dude this seat is the best" responses. Pick one that in your price range and make sure you sit in it before you buy. A friend of mine went to an autocross meet and talked to the F-body guys and sat in the seats to see how it fit in the car and how they fit him.

Arizen
Kirkey
Recaro
Corbeau
Caravaggio
Sparco
Sabelt
And be sure to chech out the certification of the seats if you plan on racing with them. Wish I could give you more valuable data but I race a C5Z.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the corbeau forza's and i love they way they feel personally. im 5'10 and 190 and they fit nicely, wouldnt want to go much over that with a 34" waiste. the seat backs are taller then stock, and the top does curve forward which would get in the way of a helmet. as for the sliders, i have no complaints. they sit just right for me. now since they are fixed back with the side rails, they are a bit of a hassle to get in and out, even for my weight. i have to slide the seat all the way back. before i can get out. i 'personally' can deal with it but i can see where people would think of them as a nusiance. if i had 600 bucks i would've gone with custom made Arizens, but i got a good deal on the corbeaus, just imo.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Scat/Procar have stepped up, they also make brackets for our cars.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hashish
I've been strongly considering picking up a fixed back seat for my 01 Trans Am.
If only you knew someone nearby who had gone through this with his 4th gen.
Someone you could visit to try out their seat positioning.
Someone who could share his experience with various seat mounting possibilities.
It'd be even better if this guy also autocrossed his car but still drove it on the street.

Too bad there's nobody like that local to you.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

old man

Still not sure on what I am going to do, but have considered doing the Forza's and using the slim mount universal sliders and fabing up a bracket.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Stop by for a beer sometime. We'll talk in more detail about what I tried / went through.

Quick Reply: What Fixed Back Racing Seat are Other Fbody Guys Running?