Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mid-Ohio Road Course SOLD

Mid-Ohio Owner Sells Racetrack

Indianapolis Group to Continue Legacy of 2.4-mile Course

Thursday, March 3, 2011 02:53 AM
By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After 25 years as the leader of Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Michelle Trueman-Gajoch sold the venerable Lexington racetrack to Indianapolis-based Green Savoree Racing Promotions yesterday.

The parting was bittersweet, she said.

During her tenure, she tried to carry on the legacy of her late father, Jim Trueman. The Red Roof Inns founder had bought and revitalized the 330-acre facility in 1982, then died of cancer in 1986.

"When I set out to do this 25years ago, I had no idea what the next day was going to bring, nor did I have any idea where to start," Trueman-Gajoch said from her Dublin office. "I was purely driven every day by my father's memory. It's that same thing that made me realize it's time to find somebody else to carry that legacy forward."

She said she worked behind the scenes for the past three years to find the right buyer but never literally hung a for-sale sign on the property.

Then came Kevin Savoree and Kim Green, former partners with Michael Andretti in the Indianapolis 500-winning Andretti Green racing team, and owners through their Green Savoree company of the St. Petersburg and Toronto IndyCar races.

They plan to keep the current Mid-Ohio management team intact.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Savoree said he and Green understand that they aren't just buying a 2.4-mile road course but a piece of racing history that is celebrating its 50th season this year. Every manner of road-racing vehicles - from sports cars to Can-Am cars to prototypes to IndyCars to motorcycles - has competed there, with the crown jewel being the IndyCar race, scheduled this year on Aug.7.

"Kim and I have had a lot of exciting moments in racing, and today is such a special experience," Savoree said. "As much as anything, Michelle Trueman and the Trueman family have been so gracious to Kim and myself. They are big shoes to fill, and Kim and I are looking forward to continuing the great legacy. We're up to the race, and we're looking forward to that."
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my very favorite tracks. Raced a few times there on two wheels.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well...sounds like things will be alright. The guys who bought it know WTF they're doing. So, I'm hoping for the best.

If it were a recent lottery winning 20 yr. old, I'd be worried, but not w/these guys. Looking forward to another good 25 years out of this great track.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like things will only get better for the facilities.. Which is a good thing. I would love to make the trip out there and run it.. Seen vids and such and it looks like a very fine track layout indeed.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Road Course SOLD