Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone road race with A4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone road race with A4?

It might be a stupid question but, are there any members who road race with A/T??? I know that T56 is preferred but is it possible? just curious cause i saw a street/strip built A4 that was able to shift gears manually but also be left in OD and shift itself for DD. Ive been saving for a T56 swap for my Awfulmatic Z, but sticking with A4 would be cheaper... Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a couple of HPDE-1s w/ my auto. First time I left it in drive and it hunted for gears. Second time I left it in second all the way around. Coming off corners in second was ok, but had to be sure not to over rev. But I was at Sears Point and there isn't any long straights there but still needed to be careful. I'd rather have a manual so I doubt I'll be going back anytime soon.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

I did for a couple of years before I did the swap. I would leave it in third, upshift to fourth on the long straight at Roebling Road and then downshift back to third for turn 1. It wasn't ideal but it worked pretty well. I wasted it trying to autocross it but that was downshifting it to first that hurt it and it was after I had been abusing it for quite a while.

Keep saving for the swap but you can have a lot of fun with it just the way it is for now.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everybody knows that a computer shifts faster than human
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by regal3.4
everybody knows that a computer shifts faster than human
Wow really?

You don't want the "computer" deciding to shift when you are on it in the middle of a corner. You want complete control over what gear you are in. If we are talking drag racing, then yes, most definitely the computer will shift faster. Just leave in in 3rd let it shift itself.

To the original poster, put in a HUGE tranny cooler and a transmission temp gauge. You aren't going to be using lockup very much on a race track. That means more heat. I have a 55,000 gvw cooler on my GTO. It keeps my TH400 fluid temps at 150-160F in 115F Phoenix heat cruising at 3300rpm. I bought the B&M trans temp gauge and it was a fairly easy install. I just put it in the drain plug of my pan using a adapter bushing I got from NAPA.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

I think if you do decide to use an auto manually then a good name brand low stall tight torque converter is key as it will be much smoother and create a lot less heat. So something under 2800 would be best like near stock. And then to have the ultimate setup would be the 6L80e 6speed auto tuned as a manual shift so the computer doesnt interfer and with paddle shifters...and obviously a really awesome tranny cooler.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Depending on the track, you may not have to shift much. At Nashville, in my T56, I'm in 2, 3, 4th, and at times 5th (130+mph) all in one lap.

Quick Reply: Anyone road race with A4?