Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road Racing in Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Racing in Convertible

So I've did a few searches (google, ls1tech, etc) and I cant find any info regarding this topic. I have no clue about road racing classes/rules as of now, but I bought this car about a month ago with intentions of turning it into a corner carving, road hugging beast. My last f-body, I built it for the straight lines but I was always unsatisfied with its performance in the corners. Mainly because I have a buddy with a 96 RS 3.8 and he whooped my *** on these old curvy Mississippi backroads due to his amazing suspension set up. I mean on the straight lines I would obviously demolish him, but I couldnt keep up in the corners. But I'm getting off topic. Back to my original question. Will most tracks allow a convertible to road race? I plan on a roll cage anyways, but will this more than likely be required?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Needs a roll bar (most likely with rear supports) at the least for your basic HPDE events (which by the way is not racing). Anything wheel to wheel that is actual racing, you will need a complete cage (see SCCA and NASA GCRs for cage rules) and fire bottle..
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick response man. I guess I have to add cage to my list of **** to do.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Default Yes.

Simple Answer, yes.

I see convertibles all the time at the HPDEs I attend. Had fun trading positions with a Porsche Spider this past event

I don't do road racing yet. But I do attend HPDEs given by "The Drivers Edge" here in North Texas and they have a specific set of rules regarding convertibles. As an example, here's their requirements. I noticed Camaros are specifically on their "List of know topless cars that do NOT have “factory roll over protection” and would be required to “add approved rollover protection” to run" in their events.

Sounds like you need to check with whatever event you plan to run with, but I'd be surpised if they had no rollover protection requirement.

Mark.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I figured as much. I would add a roll cage anyways (better safe than sorry and it looks so damn cool with the top down), but I was wondering if I had to have it. I'd like to run my car on a road course ASAP to see what I am capable of. But I guess I'm just gonna have to wait. Know any good places I can buy a roll cage setup? I've found a few but I like to shop around so I'm open for suggestions.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

I've done Nashville with the top down at their HPDE and I have no roll bar and was hitting 135mph+ per lap. Roll bar is needed for the 'advanced run group' but the other classes stock if fine.

www.trackunlimited.net has their next event Oct 14th if you can make the drive up from Mississippi. I'll be there as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

No offense, but that's not very smart. This is what a 4th gen vert looks like on a SLOW 35mph rollover:

Now triple that speed..it would be ugly
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, it's not the smartest. I'm putting it on my list. I'll likely do one more event and then the roll bar (knocking on wood).

Quick Reply: Road Racing in Convertible