Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

4th Gen drift build

Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't see how they would be bad. Afco drag shocks work great, and tons of guys run these on their older pro touring cars. I was just going to use some standard issue DA afco's that we use in drag racing, but figured the valving on these would be better suited. I can't for the life of figure out what the auburn lsd is.

Exhaust is QTP's, ORY w/flow merge, spiral flow dumped @ axle
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jenson
I can't see how they would be bad. Afco drag shocks work great, and tons of guys run these on their older pro touring cars.
The problem is the valving is all wrong on drag shocks but I'm sure they're a high quality piece. For drag racing it's all about weight transfer from front to rear so that's what they are valved for. They may be just fine but if you have the opportunity to change or cancel the order I would consider it. You can pick up a set of Koni double adjustable from Strano Parts for $1,330 and a set of coilover sleeves and springs from Ground Control for $419. This is a proven setup that works great on our cars. Just my opinion but I love how they work on my car.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't see how they would be bad. Afco drag shocks work great
According to who? Drag racers, vendors selling them and people who haven't tried anything else?

, and tons of guys run these on their older pro touring cars.
Honestly most "pro touring" guys don't know too much, and just buy whatever they see in the magazines. There are a ton of them running QA1's for some reason, and from personal experience I would rather let my car sit than drive it with those...
Look at the competitive Fbodies in racing and you will not see one car with drag shocks (or anything close to it). Bilstien, Koni, Penskie etc.

I can't for the life of figure out what the auburn lsd is.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=183&ModelID=7
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=183&ModelID=7
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't get too nuts over megabuck shocks until you get the rest of the car dialed in. The car in the pic below turned a 3:01 lap at Road America with cheap Auto Zone shocks, and horrible brake biasing. Fixing the brakes would shave 10 seconds easily. Fine tune the carb? 5, maybe. Shocks? dunno... 2 or 3?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not buying drag shocks
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-1...cks,43280.html

My buddy went from QA1's to afco's and liked them better. Both were DA's. Ground control's are a set spring rate, and I couldn't find what they even offered for the rate in that kit. I want two sets of springs, one for drift and one for track day/time attack. I assume you can buy GC springs only, just seems like more of a hassle to figure out what your getting. The koni's are way over priced IMO.

Ive seen all that on the auburn, I'm assuming its only a one way since it never says otherwise. Everything Ive read just says when torque decreases so does the pressure. Or its just a different type all together with the cones.

Last edited by Jenson; 05-15-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Ground control's are a set spring rate, and I couldn't find what they even offered for the rate in that kit. I want two sets of springs, one for drift and one for track day/time attack. I assume you can buy GC springs only, just seems like more of a hassle to figure out what your getting. The koni's are way over priced IMO.
You can buy your Ground Controls with whatever spring rate you specify. Different springs are available in whatever spring rate you could imagine and they're cheap so that should be the least of your worries. They are just 2.5" inside diameter coilover springs that are 10" long so just pick your rate. The Koni's are $130 more per set for the double adjustables or they're even cheaper than AFCO's for the single adjustables. Where are you getting that they are way over priced? It's just a proven system so I was throwing it out there but I suspect the AFCO's aren't a bad choice just not one that I've seen used for road course duty.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

1330+420=$1750 and I'm honestly not sure where to even buy the GC anymore, they used to be all over the place. For that kind of money I would just buy the KW V3 for $1900 off egay. The Koni's are a lot more than everything else in their category. You can argue that they are in a class of their own. I'll gladly try something different just to see if its worth it. IE:4th gen drift car
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

My "drift" wheel
Name:  fdfe1dcb.jpg
Views: 7322
Size:  80.6 KB

Delamed a tire
Name:  1b9c19fe.jpg
Views: 6465
Size:  101.7 KB

My truck is down (19.5's and some power mods) but as soon as she's up Ive a got a date with a driveway. Photo shoot+video, then I'll tear the car apart and upgrade it with this stuff for a nice comparison.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that I agree with your thinking on shocks. The AFCO SA's were $210 a piece from what I saw, not sure how that makes Koni's overpriced.

One little thing I thought of when I looked at the 2 pictures above, you may want to get a different shifter/shift handle. You are going to have some really sloppy shifts using it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

I had the LSS on it, and it made it worse. I typically dont shift though. Hoping that a 4.11 gear will let me just use 3rd all the time. The MGW shifter is the next thing I'm buying along with the CTS-V brakes.

The koni's SA's arent, but the whole setup is, since I want to have height adjust ability. When it comes to tires, you take what you can get, so if some 18/19's come along for free I want the ability to run them.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what are the AFCO rears though?

I know the KW's have shocks and a set of springs with an adjustable coilover sleeve which in my opinion is not really a real coilover setup in the rear.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Jensen
Curious, do you use emergency brake or hydraulic brake? Use 10 bolt axle?
Any break you welded on spindler?

I consider building up 2001 camaro ls1 for drifting
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

The Afco rears are a standard 7" coilover (SA), had to make a little bracket off the stock shock mount to mount them. Fronts bolted in. Since the city of atlanta banned drifting and my clutch went out, I put the car under the knife. Its currently on a diet, not to much as it only needs to be 2900lbs. New exhaust, cooling system, my headlight conversion, building all new front suspension, cage, engine, and a 7.25" clutch going in along with all the other MWC stuff

Pony, the weld's have held up just fine. I am building some tubular spindles now for more angle, less weight, and considering a 1" drop. Also building adjustable uppers and lowers. Separate hydraulic e brake system with dual stock rear calipers and 7/8" master also in process. 10 bolt with 3.42's still, hoping that a bit more power will allow the 3.42 to work. Its gonna be a long winter...trying to build a SI/6 speed drag car too.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a lot of irons in the fire! Good luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a great build in my opinion and I applaud you for being different and actually drifting the 4th gen...I'll be looking forward to seeing it's next outing.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man that thing sounds sweet in the video. Whats the exhaust set up?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Pony, the weld's have held up just fine. I am building some tubular spindles now for more angle, less weight, and considering a 1" drop. Also building adjustable uppers and lowers. Separate hydraulic e brake system with dual stock rear calipers and 7/8" master also in process. 10 bolt with 3.42's still, hoping that a bit more power will allow the 3.42 to work. Its gonna be a long winter...trying to build a SI/6 speed drag car too.
Do you mind to show pix of the spindles you build? Does hydraulic brake goes to rear brake or emergency brake?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

The exhaust in the vid is a custom ORY/Flowmaster merge/spiral flow...new setup is a nascar 2X5 X-pipe boom tube!! Gotta get as low as possible.

Pony, I'll document all the fab work, building the jig for the spindles now. The hydro e-brake is a separate system and goes to a second set of rear calipers. A lot of people run them tied in to their stock system, but if you are on the e-brake and then hit the brakes, bad things can happen. Idk from experience, just what I was told, makes sense though if you think about it from a fluid standpoint.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

My new clutch finally came in!!
Name:  20121114_165935.jpg
Views: 6507
Size:  188.8 KB
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Default Another one on its way...

So glad to see another 4th gen drift build on here...not been able to check back on this for some time as Im deployed overseas and have been for several years on and off but I started to build a purpose built drift car for a Pro Am series last year and hopefully within the next month to right after New years be able to put it on a test track for test and tuning and go from there.... Developmental front rack Im building and machining that will get more then plenty of angle if your interested once I start producing them on a regular basis... Cant promise anything as of right now but pretty sure with some additional aftermarket components the angle will be what we seek in these 4th gens to get the extra imputed need for the judges, (angle, and style...) Couple of other tricks Ill share once I get time to actually test them out and put some time in the car...in the mean time great job so far and all works out look to put the 2 cars against each other...Where you out of Jenson?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen drift build