Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

SCCA: Which class? SP, CP??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA: Which class? SP, CP??

Hey guys,

I have tried reading the SCCA rulebook to answer my question, but my brain hurts Looking to see which class I will fall under when I begin to autox. I am aware I will most likely not be competitive with the mods I have and have planned. That is fine with me. I'm just hoping to go out and have fun and possibly be relatively competitive on a local scale. Mods are as follows.

LT's, full exhaust, ls6 intake P/P TB
Stock 16" wheels for now until I can afford 17's. 255's on all 4
Koni 4/4 shocks
Strano springs
UMI dbl adj LCA's with relo brackets
Strano hollow sways
UMI subframe connectors

I appreciate any help in advance! Cant wait to get home from Afghanistan, get the parts on the car, and go racing!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Looks like ESP to me, intake and exhaust is open, long block needs to stay stock, i.e. cam, heads, rotating assymbly. I beleive the suspension mods are all legal too. If not then C prepared it is. Some regions also have Open SP where the rules are much more open.

Above all, have fun like you said.

Jesus Villarreal
SCCA CP #95, 4th gen Camaro
Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

I registered on SCCAforum and posted a question asking this. I was told that the LCA relocation brackets will put me in CP. They also said the LCA's themselves will put me into CP due to the fact that they dont use factory style bushings.

Just figured I would post that in here in case anybody was wondering. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I think you're going to be CP, the relocation brackets do that to you more so than the bushings. Can not relocate suspension pick up points, I would have done it long ago if it was legal.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
Yeah, I think you're going to be CP, the relocation brackets do that to you more so than the bushings. Can not relocate suspension pick up points, I would have done it long ago if it was legal.
How competitive do you think I would be with my car? I'm guessing not very at all. The guys on SCCAforum said I will be competiting againt 500+ HP pony cars around 3,000 lbs. What do you see at your local comps in CP?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
How competitive do you think I would be with my car? I'm guessing not very at all. The guys on SCCAforum said I will be competing against 500+ HP pony cars around 3,000 lbs. What do you see at your local comps in CP?
When I attempted to figure out the NASA Classification for my car, the primary determiner was horsepower to weight ratio. Secondary was the suspension mods and weight reduction. My car is floating around 1:8 HP to Weight (375HP, 3000 pounds), with aftermarket suspension and a LOT of weight taken off the nose. Without seeing the car, the guys I'd contacted said NXB was a likely starting point, and then said modification points would be assessed from there. The rules actually seemed to be pretty straight-forward
Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Teching In

How competitive do you think I would be with my car? I'm guessing not very at all. The guys on SCCAforum said I will be competiting againt 500+ HP pony cars around 3,000 lbs. What do you see at your local comps in CP?
I don't know where you are running but true CP cars are gutted down caged out big HP cars on bias ply slicks most places. So against them you wouldn't be real competitive. usually there is one or two competitive CP cars and the rest are cars that just get bumped there or want to run there. Depending on the region you'll see several "track day" cars in CP too. Things like fox bodies that put a tubular K member in get bumped to CP.

just food for thought. Pull the relocation brackets and see if the local guys will let you run in ESP with those LCA's. either way CP is a fun class too.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Here is a pic of a real CP car just to give you an idea:

Even the less serious guys like me are on slicks with gutted cars:
Old 07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLO_Z28
Even the less serious guys like me are on slicks with gutted cars:
So tell us, what's your build list? I'm always looking for ideas.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Its all about the sway bar and spring rates. I have a 1.25 solid front bar, and a 7/8ths adjustable rear bar, AFCO 950 front springs and Landrum 325# rears. Pro Shocks rebound adjustable shocks, gutted the interior, yanked out the windshield wipers and ac, pulled out all the seats and put in a Kirkey (THE beest thing ive ever done to the car) and a removable steering wheel with a SCCA GCR legal cage, engine is a unremarkable 350 and way underpowered (the orange car in the background is putting down 560 at the wheels through a Mast engine). Wheels are 17x9.5 with continental road racing slicks 275/40/17.

Plans for the car are to lose weight first, fiberglass good, doors (and ditching of the windows), trunk lid, bumpers, and dash. I have several ideas for the engine, I will either go high compression race gas 383, or just hunt down a 6.2 from a new camaro at a junkyard.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLO_Z28
Wheels are 17x9.5 with continental road racing slicks 275/40/17.

Plans for the car are to lose weight first, fiberglass good, doors (and ditching of the windows), trunk lid, bumpers, and dash. I have several ideas for the engine, I will either go high compression race gas 383, or just hunt down a 6.2 from a new camaro at a junkyard.
Are you running stock control arms in front? What backspace do you have on the wheels? Weight reduction is a good way to go. I took nearly 500 off the front (LS1, T56, lots of fiberglass, lexan and aluminum, Wilwood brakes, etc) and it handles like a dream.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Teching In

It can take years building a car to SCCA's prepared or modified rules. In my region there are a few CP cars, but none are built BUILT. A gutted Ford Falcon with a motor swap. A Crown Vic Interceptor, an F Body that would be in ESP except for his homemade 3 point strut tower bar. An the occasional friend of the first on with '80 Camaro with a built motor.

And the slightly more than ESP car is usually fastest by several seconds because the driver is damn good.

Quick Reply: SCCA: Which class? SP, CP??