Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

My new (to me) LS1 powered ASA Stock Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new (to me) LS1 powered ASA Stock Car

I just bought a LS1 powered ASA Stock Car that I intend to road race with SCCA in the GTA and TA2 class later this year. I have a lot of work to do to the car as I bought it without shocks and swaybars and it is currently set up for circle track. I have been road racing front wheel drive Hondas with SCCA since about 1994 and was looking for more bang for my buck. I am really looking forward to getting this thing on the track later this year when the weather cools off here in Phoenix.

I don't know how to post pics but here is a link to the ad for the car I bought:
http://www.racingjunk.com/NASCAR-ARC...KwPJIfbg.email

And, here is a link to a Grassroots Motorsports Magazine video with a similar car:

You can go to www.v8stockcar.com to learn more about road racing similar cars.

I suggest Google if you are interested in circle track racing because I know nothing about that.

Lastly, I am looking for a set of new General Motors Performance Parts LS6/243 cylinder heads for my car. The ones GMPP used to sell under part no. 12564824 and are no longer available. According to the GTA/TA2 rule set head porting is not allowed and these look like the best option for my car. The second best option would be a good used set of Corvette C5/Z06 or Cadillac CTS-V "243" heads that I can have freshened up.

Thanks for looking!

Keith Gillespie
Phoenix, AZ
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith,

V8Stockcar is probably your best recourse, especially for info on converting an LTO to roadrace.

I see you're in AZ. Where are you going to run? I recently spoke with the owners of Willow Springs, and they're scheduling several stock car races like they used to run in the late 80's to see how much interest is generated. Check out their calendar should you consider towing out to SoCal sometime.

Andy1
Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I LOVE Willow Springs, one of my favorite tracks.
I used to race an HP Honda Civic 1200 in the same group with the GT1 cars there and vividly remember getting lapped (repeatedly) by the late great Andy Porterfield and others in their GT1 cars with a speed differential of about 80-90 MPH on the back straight. I stopped going to Willow because I wasn't comfortable with the speed and weight differentials between my various Honda cars and the big cars. I don't know if they still do the groupings at the SCCA Nationals at Willow the same way or not.

Firebird is the only local track available at this time and may be going away after this year, but hopefully PIR and AMP will come back online sometime in the near future.
The next two closest tracks are Indio Motorsports Park and Chuckwala and I haven't been to either one yet.
If all goes well locally, I will probably go to Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca and Sears Point in 2013.

Last edited by Clubracer23; 07-11-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith,

Yeah, it's always hard to drive when there are faster cars (classes) on the track, as you've got to have one eye in the mirror at all times and you're always in the anticipation mode.

Here's a link to the stockcar race series' July race http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/event.php?id=711
Give me a shout out if/when you go to Willow; will help pit if you don't mind an old guy. It's my home track (55 min. drive)
Too bad Firebird is closing down. PIR is nice, but few opportunities to run there.

Andy1
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM
JDB
Launching!

Looks like fun!

Wish I was closer to doing a heads and cam package, Id sell you my 243s. What are they going for these days?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Move, you are gonna have a ball.

If you need some direction, give us a shout.

"Bosco" Logsdon
Crane Cams V8 StockCar Series
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JDB
Looks like fun!

Wish I was closer to doing a heads and cam package, Id sell you my 243s. What are they going for these days?
I think the non C5-Z06/CTS-V 243 heads are going for $400-$500 per pair.
I haven't seen any of the C5-Z06/CTS-V 243 heads for sale the short time I have been looking.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garcr4
Good Move, you are gonna have a ball.

If you need some direction, give us a shout.

"Bosco" Logsdon
Crane Cams V8 StockCar Series
Hello Bosco,
I have already shouted, did you find that extra dry sump set-up yet?
I am really looking forward to getting out on track this fall!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Andy1
Keith,

Yeah, it's always hard to drive when there are faster cars (classes) on the track, as you've got to have one eye in the mirror at all times and you're always in the anticipation mode.

Here's a link to the stockcar race series' July race http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/event.php?id=711
Give me a shout out if/when you go to Willow; will help pit if you don't mind an old guy. It's my home track (55 min. drive)
Too bad Firebird is closing down. PIR is nice, but few opportunities to run there.

Andy1
Thanks for the offer.
I will definitly give you a call for some help in the pits and I can't wait to take the car to Willow Springs and be the car that others have to watch their mirrors for!
Firebird's not dead yet and PIR is supposedly only off the calendar temporarily.

Last edited by Clubracer23; 07-12-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: My new (to me) LS1 powered ASA Stock Car