Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?

So I tried doing autocross for the first time at F-body Beach Bash, and it was a BLAST. Way more fun than drag racing. It's also way cheaper to build a car to handle than building some crazy 1000 hp drag car. Why aren't more F-body guys turning corners?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started doing it this summer. It is a blast. But you want some real fun, you need to get on an actuall track.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
So I tried doing autocross for the first time at F-body Beach Bash, and it was a BLAST. Way more fun than drag racing. It's also way cheaper to build a car to handle than building some crazy 1000 hp drag car. Why aren't more F-body guys turning corners?
Agreed. I forget the site offhand, but a lot of people do go road-racing or autox in f-bodies.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

frrax.com is the website.

I plan on going autox'ing soon, I just don't really know where to start unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

No one here knows/believes car should turn corners!! Have you seen the ZL1 vs GT500 threads!

Truthfully, I would rather drive a well-balanced car with the potential to add more power, than a poor handling car that's ultra fast in the 1/4 mile only.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
No one here knows/believes car should turn corners!! Have you seen the ZL1 vs GT500 threads!

Truthfully, I would rather drive a well-balanced car with the potential to add more power, than a poor handling car that's ultra fast in the 1/4 mile only.
I find it ironic that I am in the same boat as you with my 40 year old car yet the guys with newer fbodies which make excellent dailies and can handle/stop extremely well are all about turning them into useless straight liners.

I have a lot of fun at autox, on a course, and at the strip. But by making a car that can work on all 3 of those at least decently well, I've ended up with a well rounded street car that is also fun to drive on the street and the backroads.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
frrax.com is the website.

I plan on going autox'ing soon, I just don't really know where to start unfortunately.
Just get on the SCCAs web site, find your region, go to their website, and find the closest event to you. You dont need anything fancy. Just a car, helmet, and the desire to have fun and learn.

You will find some very frienldy and helpfull people to get you through your first time.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I find it ironic that I am in the same boat as you with my 40 year old car yet the guys with newer fbodies which make excellent dailies and can handle/stop extremely well are all about turning them into useless straight liners.

I have a lot of fun at autox, on a course, and at the strip. But by making a car that can work on all 3 of those at least decently well, I've ended up with a well rounded street car that is also fun to drive on the street and the backroads.
You can only hope that they will learn. This is the exact reason I put the suspension and brakes I chose into my 99 SS - and the exact reason why I just brought home a Mongoose 1963 Corvette Grand Sport.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Autox is fun, but be warned, it is just like every other form of motorsports. The more competitive you get the more $$$$ you need. The seat time versus $$$$ spent is far better than drag racing.

But don't fooled, racing still stakes $$$, parts still break, tires (all four, not just the back two) need to be replaced (at $1200 a set min.), motors still need to be built, cages still need to be installed, lightweight parts still rule the day, etc. etc. etc........Unless you stay in F-stock (where the new Mustangs will crush you) or ESP (E-street prepared), modified new Mustangs crush you even more. Venture outside of those two classes (SCCA rules) and into SM (Street Modified), land of the AWD turbo crowd or Modded M3's. Or step further into the fray, CP (C-prepared). This is a purpose built race car on the national level. Either way (SM or CP) get ready to spend and remove significant weight to stay competitive.

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/p...esp-camaro.jpg

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com...s/CaseyESP.jpg

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...h=7501&start=0

It is fun, but it is still racing. More driver oriented than drag racing maybe, but it still takes a reasonable amount of $$$$ and time. Autox is all about seat time and being on good rubber. When either of those two things aren't in harmony you are just riding around taking in the sights. The first words out of most autox guys after just about any run goes something like this "......I was on old tires" Or ".....I was just shaking the rust off"

Get our there and have fun, just don't get too carried away or you could end up with a gutted 4th gen, with fender flares, 10pt cage, built motor, beefed up drivetrain, no creature comforts, gutted doors and dash, race seat (singular) and safety equipment......sounds a lot like drag racing at that point doesn't it?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=1QWIKBIRD;16528558

Get our there and have fun, just don't get too carried away or you could end up with a gutted 4th gen, with fender flares, 10pt cage, built motor, beefed up drivetrain, no creature comforts, gutted doors and dash, race seat (singular) and safety equipment......sounds a lot like drag racing at that point doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happened to me.

My first few races.

8 years later.

Steve A.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JACE323
Just get on the SCCAs web site, find your region, go to their website, and find the closest event to you. You dont need anything fancy. Just a car, helmet, and the desire to have fun and learn.

You will find some very frienldy and helpfull people to get you through your first time.
How expensive is it? Other then parts and equipment. Just membership/track day/etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
How expensive is it? Other then parts and equipment. Just membership/track day/etc.
each region is a little different. But a day membership to run one event is around $40-$50 If i remember (maybe a tad more). They will give you all the info you need to join the SCCA and you get a discount for the day pass. That way you can actually see if you like it. Im pretty sure you will get hooked though LOL!

Part wise. Just go out there and have fun your first year. I gurantee you your first time out a stock f-body will be more then enough for you to handle. Just make sure the car is safe. (wheel bearings, steering, tires.) I would, however, recomend making sure all your fluids are fresh (brake and power steering mainly) Dont need anything fancy just fresh fluid. Once you start figuring out what you dont like with the car you can start changing parts.

No matter what you think you might need for tires stay away from race rubber as long as u can. The faster you learn to drive on street tires you will be even faster on race rubber. Jumping straight to race tires can cover up some bad mistakes and you wont learn as quick. Road racing / auto x is more about seat time and the drivers smoothness. Not who has the better parts (that comes once you can be a competive driver)
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a link to your Local club http://www.vmsc.org/ We are having a club challange Sept 23 at VMP (Dinwidee Drag strip) It will be a club challange with the best of the Richmond club vs the Best of the Tidewater Club. I'll be there in my WS6 representing the tidewater group. We're gonna kick butt! I've finally gotten my car dialed in for ESP and even though I'm not the fastest, I'm consistantly in the top 10. (80-100 cars) my car is not gutted at all, I have done 0 weight reduction on it. But it has springs, koni's, bars, bushings, RR Diff, Hoosiers, Wheels, Bolt on's, tune, on and on... It does add up, just like any form of racing.

Here's a picture of my car with my 16 year old son driving it.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

i did an event with my 03 gtp, and loved it... now i bought a ws6, so next race should be real interesting haha... but definately a good crowd of people and a great day for under $60...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Yup, right there with you. 9 years younger than you on the car though :-)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=autox001.mp4

Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Road course =

Autocross =

I understand the draw of autocross, it's cheap, but it's just not for me. Niether is straight line drag racing for that matter.

Not everyone here only drives fast in a straight line.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club

My club rents out RoadAmerica every spring. Everyone is welcome. I take out the GTO for that track. 1 set of racing brake pads and 1 extra set of rotors and I'm good to go for the weekend. The drag car stays at home!

Anyway all are welcome to come out. We have instructors for folks who've never been on the RoadAmerica track before and if they do well they feel comfortable they move to riding alone. Always a fun day.

Here's a vid from one of our members:

http://roadamerica.mfba.org
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
My club rents out Road America every spring. Everyone is welcome. I take out the GTO for that track. 1 set of racing brake pads and 1 extra set of rotors and I'm good to go for the weekend. The drag car stays at home!

Anyway all are welcome to come out. We have instructors for folks who've never been on the RoadAmerica track before and if they do well they feel comfortable they move to riding alone. Always a fun day.
Now we're talking. The pic in my sig comes from the MFBA outing at Road America this spring (leaving the track at turn 5 after a 20 minute session). Is there going to be a fall track weekend at RA this year?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Road course =

Autocross =

I understand the draw of autocross, it's cheap, but it's just not for me. Niether is straight line drag racing for that matter.

Not everyone here only drives fast in a straight line.
I am not serious about autox but it is a hoot.

The local Corvette club does the one closest to me and it's only $10 for half day and $20 for full day and part of that goes to charity.

The SCCA events are $35 or so a day and an hour and a half drive so I don't usually go to those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?