Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Will a Camaro ever handle as good as a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT Motion
The vettes weigh less, can fit more rubber, and generally have better power plants. You will have to do a lot of work to smoke the vettes. I am in the same boat! I have a CTSV! I need to do a ton to keep up!
That's key there. I run "skinny" 275s on the front and 295s on the back which is much wider than most F-bodies have. I'm swapping out the 19s for a square 18x10.5" set-up with 315s all 'round. C6 guys have 335s out back.

Add in the engine, lower cg, better weight distribution, better aero, & lower frontal area, and you're going to have to do an awful lot to keep up. If the Corvette matches you mod for mod, you're going to have to be Michael Schumacher to pass him.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be very difficult to match a C5Z's handling on road courses in an F-Body. It can be done, but I would expect it will take quite a bit of money and lots of gutting to make it happen. If you're talking about true track cars, it might even mean going to carbon fiber body panels... which opens the door if you have contact with anything, it takes alot more to fix it.

In the Nasa class that I ran, it was open for any make or model. It was strictly a weight to horsepower ratio class. The most common car found in it was vette's. It takes less money and effort to make it go fast and that's why many choose that platform. That's why I choose it.

Also, there are alot of people that have developed their vette's over the years and that knowledge is priceless as you can try to incorporate some of their ideas into yours. Strength in numbers I would say.

Total weight and weight distribution is a big key in getting an F-Body close to what a C5Z or C6 will do on a road course.

Quick Reply: Will a Camaro ever handle as good as a Corvette?