Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

street tire vs slick

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could you explain what warnings a street tire will give? I've been looking into RR and AutoX. Mostly interested in RR tho so im just trying to get some tips and info.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Could you explain what warnings a street tire will give? I've been looking into RR and AutoX. Mostly interested in RR tho so im just trying to get some tips and info.
Street tire will howl and squeal if you are over working it.

Slick will just cut loose, it will give you little slips here and there but you have to know when it does it to know. I have only been told this by friends who are way more experienced than me and I have heeded their warnings and stayed on street tires.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok cool, thanks man!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Street tire will howl and squeal if you are over working it.

Slick will just cut loose, it will give you little slips here and there but you have to know when it does it to know. I have only been told this by friends who are way more experienced than me and I have heeded their warnings and stayed on street tires.
Exactly.

Street tires talk back to you. If you hear squealing, you either have to open up the wheel (assuming you can, so better to run tight), or slow down. To continue pushing it in a corner will only scrub off time, and the tires themselves.

Opening up the wheel, in some instances, doesn't even have to be much in order for the tires to bite back in. Throttle control here is also crucial.

Proof you can outpower R-comps, and that ABS is important. I corded 3 A6s on this run. http://s91.beta.photobucket.com/user...eways.mp4.html
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Ss vert has made a lot of good points.

Another point on track, r compounds tend to give less warning, plus once they start to slip, they let go really fast. Dynamic versus static friction if you want to get more specific.

You say heat down south, but keep in mind that the tires like to see 180+ temps for a road race tire and there's a lot of thermal mass there. In short, you're not going to get there. Not to say something like a r888 would be such a bad choice.

And as pointed out as well, locking up the tires on an r comp will flat spot it in short order ruining it.

Due to increased grip of r comp, ideally you'd adjust the suspension to make use of it (stiffer springs, bars, dampers).

In short, there's lot of reasons to avoid r comp for a year and only a few compromises. But man are they fast, fun and addictive. Kind of sounds like boost or nitrous.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been a good read!
I was planning on running a Falken 453 this year (my first in autoX) but have been steered towards Nitto NT05's by a local tire shop, and through reading many posts here.
Thoughts on that tire for an absolute beginner? (not new to driving lol just autoX)
These will be mounted on C5 magnesium wheels. Im going as fat as I can get away with, front (8.5" wheels) planning on running a 255 tire, and rears (9.5" wheels) running a 275 tire.
Car has (or will if I get it all outta my basement and installed) C5 brake upgrade, koni's, BMR springs, UMI sun frame connectors, sway bars and shock tower brace.
Still planning on picking up adjustable lower control arms and Panhard Bar.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

well, I autocrossed two Sundays ago on my street tires (Kuhmo 275s up front; Nitto 555s 315s in the rear) and the front of the car was plowing like a son of a gun. This is not a very aggressive street tire (good for rain, though) and I couldn't even find the treadwear ratign on it (I ran STM class, 140+ treadwear required). I adjusted tire pressures but still found them to produce oversteer on many occassions. I wish I had either had a better street tire (such as a star spec), or ran my used up A6s.

Here is an article about me from this event. http://americancarsamericangirls.com...have-shot-her/

These cars need a decent front tire on them. I was plesently suprised how well the 555s did in the rear with only slight need of good throttle control. If I felt understeer coming up, lifting the throttle slightly was all I needed to regain control.

I ran my track brake set-up and they way out performed the front tires (Hawk HTC60 Pads, Blank Rotors, ATE Blue Fluid). They pads BITE! But they also dust a HORRIBLE amount.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 03-20-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
This thread has been a good read!
I was planning on running a Falken 453 this year (my first in autoX) but have been steered towards Nitto NT05's by a local tire shop, and through reading many posts here.
Thoughts on that tire for an absolute beginner? (not new to driving lol just autoX)
These will be mounted on C5 magnesium wheels. Im going as fat as I can get away with, front (8.5" wheels) planning on running a 255 tire, and rears (9.5" wheels) running a 275 tire.
Car has (or will if I get it all outta my basement and installed) C5 brake upgrade, koni's, BMR springs, UMI sun frame connectors, sway bars and shock tower brace.
Still planning on picking up adjustable lower control arms and Panhard Bar.
My biggest question when selecting a tire is what is it going to be used for? If it's full street action, then things like tire wear and water performance mean more than just a dedicated autocross tire.

Grip, Price, Tread Wear....pick 2.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F bodies are setup to push a little out the gate, you had a bigger tire on the rear vs the front along with different grip levels and that makes it a good bit worse.

If you are gonna run a staggered setup it needs the correct swaybars on it.

A lot of people dont understand that a whats under any car has to work as a package.

A 275 at all 4 corners pushes a little but its manageable.

A buddy who autocrosses and experiments a lot in a stock class, F stock I think put a bigger tire on the front than the rear to get the car neutral.....weird huh.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
F bodies are setup to push a little out the gate, you had a bigger tire on the rear vs the front along with different grip levels and that makes it a good bit worse.

If you are gonna run a staggered setup it needs the correct swaybars on it.

A lot of people dont understand that a whats under any car has to work as a package.

A 275 at all 4 corners pushes a little but its manageable.

A buddy who autocrosses and experiments a lot in a stock class, F stock I think put a bigger tire on the front than the rear to get the car neutral.....weird huh.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. My Rcomps are 275s all around. this was a spontaneous autocross, so I just showed up on street tires. I have a friend in SM that runs 315s on all four corners.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
My biggest question when selecting a tire is what is it going to be used for? If it's full street action, then things like tire wear and water performance mean more than just a dedicated autocross tire.

Grip, Price, Tread Wear....pick 2.
The car will be mostly autox'ed, a couple days a year on a road course, but also driven to and from events. very rarely driven on the street just for the sake of it. I understand that the NT05's are pretty soft, but if I can get a summer or two outta them then it'll be fine with me.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

For what it's worth, a lot of guys bag their wheels and tires to save the longevity out of them, and helps prevent them from getting hard. This might be a good option for you, if you will be running a different tire/wheel combo for street use.

I wish I had done this - I still have 6 used A6s and never bagged them - they are pretty hard now. I've had them sitting for over 4 years now.

Quick Reply: street tire vs slick