Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Here goes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here goes...

I am going to be getting the car setup for road racing (00 Z28 bare options, just power windows/doors, AC, and power steering, Hardtop). I recently swapped the car over from a fully built 4l60e and fti 3800 stall, to a t56 with a mcleod super street clutch and tick master, now a very good friend , who is also a bad friend, has convinced me to take it to the real side of racing.

I am going to do HPDE until I am confident, then look at getting into the American Iron series (Camaro Mustang Challenge step sibling of some sort lol) I am pretty much good on power to weight ish, I might need a restrictor, I will have to go to a narrower tire, I run 315's out back now and want to get used to the car with 275's since that is the required width.

Anyone else ever compete in this class?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I am going to be getting the car setup for road racing (00 Z28 bare options, just power windows/doors, AC, and power steering, Hardtop). I recently swapped the car over from a fully built 4l60e and fti 3800 stall, to a t56 with a mcleod super street clutch and tick master, now a very good friend , who is also a bad friend, has convinced me to take it to the real side of racing.

I am going to do HPDE until I am confident, then look at getting into the American Iron series (Camaro Mustang Challenge step sibling of some sort lol) I am pretty much good on power to weight ish, I might need a restrictor, I will have to go to a narrower tire, I run 315's out back now and want to get used to the car with 275's since that is the required width.

Anyone else ever compete in this class?
You need about 2 years of DE lapping to start(about 10-12 events) before you would even be a moving chicane in the back of a CMC field.

2 years of DE

1 year of Nasa time trials, then consider wheel to wheel.

Do your first DE, and when a Spec Miata blows your doors off you will understand all of what I am saying.

Horsepower has nothing to do with driving a car fast, its used to drive a fast car.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You need about 2 years of DE lapping to start(about 10-12 events) before you would even be a moving chicane in the back of a CMC field.

2 years of DE

1 year of Nasa time trials, then consider wheel to wheel.

Do your first DE, and when a Spec Miata blows your doors off you will understand all of what I am saying.

Horsepower has nothing to do with driving a car fast, its used to drive a fast car.
Oh I am very well aware, I am not a beginner at understanding that it is driver ability more so than vehicle ability.

I know my car well but I do know that I fully expect to get passed by a Miata.

Thank you for the advice 10-12 events sounds good if anything I may do more to get a feel for it. The only thing that is going to interesting is AI limits tire size to 275, right now I am not square with 315 rear 275 front, I wan to get used to the car for what it will be setup for, as in setup for AI but doing all DE events setup that way.

Unless I find another event that I can be competitive in.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Oh I am very well aware, I am not a beginner at understanding that it is driver ability more so than vehicle ability.

I know my car well but I do know that I fully expect to get passed by a Miata.

Thank you for the advice 10-12 events sounds good if anything I may do more to get a feel for it. The only thing that is going to interesting is AI limits tire size to 275, right now I am not square with 315 rear 275 front, I wan to get used to the car for what it will be setup for, as in setup for AI but doing all DE events setup that way.

Unless I find another event that I can be competitive in.
Go to Frrax.com, join and read.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I race in American Iron. I built my car as I moved my way up through DEs. Seat time is extremely important before moving to W2W racing however the time period varies for everyone. I will say that no matter how many DEs you do it will not fully prepare you for W2W racing. There is an entire new learning curve that is introduced when you start racing... you'll be pushed to turn faster lap times more so than ever and dealing with traffic is totally different than anything experienced in DEs and TT. With that being said, it is far more fun than doing DEs to me. Always glad to hear from future f-body AI racers.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by athornt2
I race in American Iron. I built my car as I moved my way up through DEs. Seat time is extremely important before moving to W2W racing however the time period varies for everyone. I will say that no matter how many DEs you do it will not fully prepare you for W2W racing. There is an entire new learning curve that is introduced when you start racing... you'll be pushed to turn faster lap times more so than ever and dealing with traffic is totally different than anything experienced in DEs and TT. With that being said, it is far more fun than doing DEs to me. Always glad to hear from future f-body AI racers.
Ok cool, yeah mine is bone stock suspension wise but has a tsp 228r cam and stock port milled 241's.

A friend is taking his sn95 into AI after a few upgrades, he is swapping IRS in it, apparently he doesn't like SRA... silly lol.

FASTFATBOY, I am a member on Frrax.com I signed up before I posted so that way I can get an idea. I understand it is different on the track, I was more or less letting you know that I am not "new" to the car I know my car well, I look forward to pushing it further on the track though.

I really do appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Here goes...