Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Oil pressure drop after running on a hot day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure drop after running on a hot day?

Just wondering if it's entirely normal for idle oil pressure to drop to 20-25 psi after 10-15 minutes of running hard on a 90-100° day. I understand the oil's getting heated up and thinning out, but my buddy's Cobra, for example, doesn't see a drop in pressure after doing the same run.

Is this normal or is it an indication of internal wear, and would an oil cooler entirely eliminate this?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say its normal.it does get pretty hot..if your worried about internal wear next time you change your oil look for any metal shavings..ur car consuming oil ? smoke?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

No smoke. No shavings in the 2 oil changes I've done so far. Consumes a little oil over a long time, but that's not too surprising since it still has stock PCV/valley cover.

I guess I should chalk it up to hot oil and not worry too much.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your oil psi while racing? I found mine dropping to 15-20 psi at wot because I was not running the right oil and running north of 300 degrees. I switched to Mobil 1 0-50 RACE oil as well as getting the biggest Setrab oil cooler I could fit 18x12 in the grill area and things went to where they should. If you are going to do it on a regular basis an oil temp gauge would be a good investment as well as better oil and a good cooler. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dbs1
What is your oil psi while racing? I found mine dropping to 15-20 psi at wot because I was not running the right oil and running north of 300 degrees. I switched to Mobil 1 0-50 RACE oil as well as getting the biggest Setrab oil cooler I could fit 18x12 in the grill area and things went to where they should. If you are going to do it on a regular basis an oil temp gauge would be a good investment as well as better oil and a good cooler. Good luck.
Under heavy throttle and at wot the pressure is fine, 50-65 or so psi. I think an oil cooler sounds like the way to go, especially since much of this is done in 90-100 degree outside temps.

I've been running basic Mobil 1 5-30. My only question about race oils is whether they would do any harm to a car that's daily driven and won't see high oil temps most of the time.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I ran a 30W in my LS7 and oil pressure at the road course was not good (no oil cooler). Hot it would drop to 10-12psi at idle after a 20 minute pounding on the road course. Also hot idle on the street was a bit low.

Switched to 40W with a small non ducted oil cooler..... much better (20-22psi hot after a lapping session). Finally swapped in a much larger oil cooler with ducting and have yet to try it out.

Any road racing should have an oil cooler properly ducted on the car. Especially in 100* weather.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drop after running on a hot day?