Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

"Muscle car Oil Pan" for road race?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Muscle car Oil Pan" for road race?

Hey guys, long time lurker.

I'm putting together a '93 S10 with an LS swap. It will be street driven but used chiefly for auto-cross and track days.

The only oil pan that (somewhat easily) fits this swap is GM's "Muscle car" swap kit, which is actually a Hummer H3 pan.

It's a handy little kit, and quite affordable. Even includes the pickup and the windage tray.

I know that a common problem LSx engines have during road racing is oil starvation under heavy g-loads. But I've seen this problem mostly mentioned in Vettes and F-bodies. I have a buddy with a TIG who can help me put together trap door baffles, and that was my plan.

Until I looked at the pan in person. The sump is QUITE deep, but relatively small in length/width. I'm not sure that I can FIT baffles down inside the sump and still leave much room for the pickup, or room for the trap doors to actually open!

Has anyone had experience autocrossing or racing with this pan, maybe in older muscle car applications? Should I maybe not worry about oil starvation with this sump?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there will be several pan suggestions from guys more familiar with your platform than i am. if oil starvation is a concern, a relatively inexpensive "insurance policy" would be to add an accusump system to your truck.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Wow those really are pretty affordable, thanks for the mention. I might look into that.

Anyone got thoughts on whether that sump will starve though?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

you can try improved racing's oil pan baffles. keep the stock pan, add the baffles, and youre done. works 100%. otherwise, you can just run one quart more then you normally do.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM

First I've heard of the accusump, looks like a nice piece. Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, the muscle car swap pan has a very small and deep sump, so you can't really add any baffling to it. But on the plus side, that means it will work pretty well as far as controlling oil slosh.

As mentioned, the Accusump is probably a good idea. We sell kits for the LS engine, so if you need any help putting one together, just give us a call.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: "Muscle car Oil Pan" for road race?