Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Which PS cooler to use for auto-X/HPDE track? Tube/fin vs Plate style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which PS cooler to use for auto-X/HPDE track? Tube/fin vs Plate style?

I have an '02 WS6 that I am preparing for auto-x/HDPE track events. I would like to delete the factory PS cooler and add an aftermarket. It seems like Permacool 1004 (tube and fin frame mount) is used and B&M 70265 (Plate style) is also used. Any experiences and/or recommendations?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70265/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1004/overview/
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if one is really better than the other - both are big improvements over the stock one. I happen to have a tube and fin style cooler in my car, but could have just as easily ended up with a plate style. I also have a Turn One PS pump.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I don't know if one is really better than the other - both are big improvements over the stock one. I happen to have a tube and fin style cooler in my car, but could have just as easily ended up with a plate style. I also have a Turn One PS pump.
Thank you! I am leaning towards the tube and fin as it seems like I can mount it nicely on the frame right behind the air dam. I don't really want to bolt more coolers onto my radiator as I have the chrs1313 ram air for A/C taking up that space. I have 80K on my PS pump and am going to delete the stock PS cooler, add this 24" tube/fin permacool 1004. Do you think I also need to do the Turn One PS pump at this point?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're having problems with boiling over or the cap popping off the reservoir, it would be an option. Some guys get away with simply drilling a hole in the cap and zip-tying a rag over it. I went with the Turn One because steering felt numb and disconnected at speed and I needed lower output pressure (I have a steering box, while you have rack and pinion). The fact that it also ran cooler was icing on the cake for me.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Well I haven't taken my car to a HDPE or auto-x event yet but as a preventative measure I will be deleted the power steering cooler and installing the long tube fine one on the frame behind the air dam. I will also be flushing the system and running Redline PS fluid. If I have any issues after doing some events I will do the Turn One PS pump. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I did this: $30 and 2 hrs...done. Autozone P/N 401. Torqflow Transmission cooler. Comes with a section of 3/8 hose, radiator pass thru zip ties and 2 hose clamps. Worked great.

This is on a 95, so I didn't have to deal with the "stock cooler". I simply didn't have one lol. No idea if this is a benefit, but it can't hurt...

I did it for a preventative maintenance aspect. Just to prolong the life of the pump. I plan to move the cooler to an area that it won't get ripped off if I eat a cone lol.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Launching!

After an incredibly informative talk with Sam Strano today I am going to pass on the PS cooler for now. The space is so tight on these cars and I previously did not consider the risk of running the PS cooler mounted on the bottom of the frame especially the significant fire risk that it would pose if a cone or anything else damaged it. There are also cooling issues with it being placed behind the air dam even with the cutout as the flow pattern of the air rushing up the air dam to the radiator will not want to take a drastic turn towards the PS cooler even if I cut a hole in the dam. It seems like my recipe will be a Turn One PS pump and a full flush with Redline PS fluid. If I add a cooler in the future it will likely be for the oil and not the PS unless I can find a place for a small tiny stacked plate B&M style somewhere.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can mount it up out of the way...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Yes if I have issues after the Redline PS flush and the Turn One pump I will be mounting an auxiliary cooler like you did out of the way. I am still looking at the little B&M stacked plate designs and will take some measurements to see where I can put one of those and still get some air to run over it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No cooling issues with mine, I have a smaller one mounted with a hole in the air dam.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

My turn one and redline fluid works good but I will be adding a cooler soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokid91
My turn one and redline fluid works good but I will be adding a cooler soon.
What cooling setup did you decide on? I'll eventually upgrade to a Turn One pump, however in the meantime I'm trying to decide which cooler will best compliment my setup (and which one I have the mechanical skill to actually install myself).
Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Midnight02
What cooling setup did you decide on? I'll eventually upgrade to a Turn One pump, however in the meantime I'm trying to decide which cooler will best compliment my setup (and which one I have the mechanical skill to actually install myself).
Search me of Fraxx, I posted some info on coolers.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have this kit on my to-buy list:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=14476
Old 04-24-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

This is whats on mine

Derale model 13200.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Excellent kit, I have one on my car. Fit and function was perfect. Also no fear of bottoming out and having it ripped off. My car is a good bit lower than fastfatboys's car and I always scrape the front spoiler. Although having out in fresh air like that probably makes it more effective.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

im using a PS cooler from Blaine Fabrication, seems to work good, no issues. The whole unit was about $130, plus shipping and duty because I live in Canada
Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Spoke with Alan (Blaine Fab), absolutely class act guy BTW along with Sam Strano, last night and he is making one of his PS cooling setups for me. Now I am looking for a brake cooling and an oil cooling solution which will likely also be through Blain Fabrication.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orthopod
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Spoke with Alan (Blaine Fab), absolutely class act guy BTW along with Sam Strano, last night and he is making one of his PS cooling setups for me. Now I am looking for a brake cooling and an oil cooling solution which will likely also be through Blain Fabrication.
Brake cooling YES!

**DISCLAIMER** I only run in the winter months. And I have the baffle in my pan.

Oil cooling, meh....possibly over rated. I dont have an oil cooler on mine, I change the oil every 2 events. Been that way for 3 years and 20-25 events.

My LS1/LS6 hybrid has been very happy so far.

Make sure you run at least a 10-40 synthetic oil in the car. If you don't have a pan baffle, run it +1 quart and check it twice a day.

Quick Reply: Which PS cooler to use for auto-X/HPDE track? Tube/fin vs Plate style?