Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

"Flat tow" 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default "Flat tow" 4th gen?

I just began autocrossing and want more more more. My biggest issue is the distance I should drive the car if anything breaks. Right now I keep it within 1hr from my house if I need AAA or something.

I currently have my wife drive our 03 Chevy 2500 HD with tools in it and follow me to the track. It serves as an emergency tow vehicle in so I can find a local Uhaul and rent a trailer to get the car home in a pinch.

I was talking to my father in law about it and he said for YEARS he "flat towed" his 67 Vette to events all over the place before he got a trailer. I live in an apt and have NO room to store a trailer, plus I don't know how serious I will get into racing just yet. All I know is that it's fun and I don't want to be limited by distance so much.

So, that got me thinking. Has anyone fabbed up some brackets/mounts to a 4th gen to tow it like people tow their DD cars behind a motorhome? His 76 has a gaping wide open grill that he was able to find points on the frame to make mounts. My 95 Z may be a little tricky.

My initial thought (without actually poking around) is to use the metal bumper support you can see after taking the factory fog light+bracket out. This eliminates the need to put holes in the bumper cover and seems to be the right height off the ground for an attachment point fairly level with a truck hitch?

Opinions? Comments?
Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about this, but I feel that it would be interesting. I wonder if anyone has actually done this, or have any pictures of anyone that has.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to pull the driveshaft, or you'll cook the transmission.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brief Encounter
Be sure to pull the driveshaft, or you'll cook the transmission.
What? How do you figure that?

I mean, regular tow trucks (not flatbeds) come to mind.

Anyways that would be an interesting alternative to a trailer. I think with the fabrication alone might be more than you realize, possibly having to remove the front bumper and cover every time you want to use it. Or weld onto the frame rails some kind of mounting points for the tow bar. I only go about 4-5 times a year so renting a Uhaul has worked out for me; and I've needed it on several occasions. I've always just rented from uhaul late on a Friday and returned it late Saturday to save the two day charge. Most of them are really cool, you can just drop it in their lot after they close.

Quick Reply: "Flat tow" 4th gen?