Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First time on track - Blackhawk Farms

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First time on track - Blackhawk Farms

I finally made it on track!

Had a blast running the High Speed Autocross yesterday with MCSCC at Blackhawk Farms raceway. I ran in Super Street class with the Corvettes that just kicked my tail, but I would do it all again because it was probably the most fun I have had in the car since I have owned it. Not counting my 8 laps of Novice practice, I did 6 timed runs with no issues other than a little overspill of my PS fluid on the first run and the humidity just kicking my ***.

Setup is pretty basic. Suspension is stock aside from Bilstein HD's, NT05 Tires, LS1 front brake setup with Performance Friction pads front and rear, SS brake lines, ATE Super Blue Clutch and Brake fluid, Red Line Synthetic PS fluid with a cooler, and Mobil1 0-40.

Car had a lot more than I was brave enough to do in corners but for my first time ever doing any performance driving like that in any car I'm happy. I can't wait until the next event!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

oh, and one thing I will be adding is my racing seat I didn't have time to make brackets for. I felt like I was going to fly out of my window on some corners.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Great club to belong too. I was with them for 2 seasons and Black Hawk is still one of my favorite tracks. I highly recommend doing their driving school. I think they do it twice a year, once in April and later I think in August. I gained a lot of insight from the two instructors I had (took it twice) to the point I was 2 seconds from the club record in the SS class. I was looking to break it but managed to blow my side curtains on turn 6. That was a season ender for me.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Great group for sure. I tried to make it for the Spring school, but the car wasn't ready. Might try and get into the next one in July.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car is setup good, put a seat in it and burn the tires off.

Lt1 WS6 cars look sooo good.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

CG Lock is a quick fix and will help hold you in if you don't get around to doing the seat right away...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!
I did finally put in my BMR springs and adjustable PHB last week and I'm hoping to have the the bracket for the seat finished up this weekend. I found one of those seat belt strap locks that come with car seats and set that on there. I did notice that if I deflate my back lumbar, and inflate the sides that it holds me down tight. The racing seat will hold my upper body, but I did notice on a test ride that I use my core more than my arms now.

Milwaukee is going to be a lot different. We run nearly the whole oval and go on the infield track for the other half. Should be interesting.

Last edited by sandman2100; 06-10-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior-1
CG Lock is a quick fix and will help hold you in if you don't get around to doing the seat right away...
Put the seat all the way back, put on the belt, grab the two belts near the buckle, unbuckle the belt, twist the belt and rebuckle. Now pull the seat up to tighten the belt.

Old Autocross trick.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sandman2100
Thanks guys!
I did finally put in my BMR springs and adjustable PHB last week and I'm hoping to have the the bracket for the seat finished up this weekend. I found one of those seat belt strap locks that come with car seats and set that on there. I did notice that if I deflate my back lumbar, and inflate the sides that it holds me down tight. The racing seat will hold my upper body, but I did notice on a test ride that I use my core more than my arms now.

Milwaukee is going to be a lot different. We run nearly the whole oval and go on the infield track for the other half. Should be interesting.
Were you at the event at Autobahn a couple weeks ago?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wish they did that high speed autocross around my area. It looks really fun, combining elements from both open track and autocross.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I volunteered at Autobahn for the W2W race, but did not make the AX event. I was still breaking in the diff when they ran.

Seat is mounted, feels nice!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Junior-1
What is a CG lock? I am having a hard time staying in my stock '78 seats and the seat belt doesn't stay locked. I am getting tossed all over in there and spending a lot of energy just trying to hang on to the steering wheel. I would like to get a pair of 4th gen seats but I've blown my budget with the purchase of tires and wheels, so seats are down the road.

Could you explain with a little more detail the buckle, twist, unbuckle "old autocross secret" trick? Does that keep the seat belt from unlocking?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
Could you explain with a little more detail the buckle, twist, unbuckle "old autocross secret" trick? Does that keep the seat belt from unlocking?
It causes the two sections of seat belt to bind against each other so they don't loosen so easily. You can also try to use one of those double-T seat belt locks they use for baby seats. Both approaches will at least keep your lap belt from allowing you to slide around. But truthfully, while the 4th gen seat is an improvement, a good racing seat and harness setup is way better. You don't have to spend a ton of money on it. In fact, you might even be able to sell your existing seats to offset the cost. I sold mine for 450 and my car isn't exactly "collectible".

Last edited by 1981TA; 06-16-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: First time on track - Blackhawk Farms