Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Secondtrip to Blackhawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Secondtrip to Blackhawk

Busy schedule so I forgot to update after my second trip to Blackhawk July 4th weekend.

I added:
Racing Seat
BMR springs
BMR 35MM Hollow Front Sway Bar
J&M Rear Poly Joint LCA's
Updated tune based off datalogs from my last event

I overheated my brake pads on the second practice session and the whole day I was scared to do it again so I really didn't push as hard as I should have. I ran the whole track in 4th gear for all of my laps because I just wanted to focus on hitting my marks and running clean lines. Even with that I was able to run 2 seconds faster than my fastest lap from the May event. The car felt WAY better. Being planted in the seat really helped and the car was balanced enough to where I felt confident I wasn't going to lose it. Still not the fastest, but I did hit my personal goals for the day, so I consider it a victory.

Next event is Aug 2nd so I am going to start opening up a bit and downshifting in a few spots and see where it takes me. Also have some DTC-30 pads here to give them a go while I am at it. As long as I am shaving time off the last trip, I'm happy. If I can drop 2 sec or more, I'd be more than satisfied.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip the DTc30's and put some 60's on the front.

2 seconds is a big jump, good job.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to bring a pair of cheap box fans to help your front brakes cool down between sessions (if blackhawk provides electricity).
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1981TA
You might want to bring a pair of cheap box fans to help your front brakes cool down between sessions (if blackhawk provides electricity).

On the cool down lap I try not to touch my brakes at all.

If I KNOW they are still hot I will drive through and outside the paddock for a few minutes to cool them off.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Skip the DTc30's and put some 60's on the front.

2 seconds is a big jump, good job.
Sound advice on the DTC-60's over the 30's.

I ran the 30's for years and finally made the move to the 60's and wish I would've done it sooner.

I was hesitant to switch because I was comfortable with the feel of the 30's and was a bit worried the 60's would be too torquey (on/off switch). I was wrong. The 60's do have a stronger initial bite, however it isn't overly harsh and the modulation is great. Feels easier to get to the threshhold of ABS and then back off a shade to stay right in that optimal range.

As for versatility (one of the biggest "pros" of the DTC-30), the 60's also offer a very wide heat range. They are still effective cold on the street and should be able to take a TON of abuse at the track.

After seeing the scorching on my last set of DTC-30's, I'm glad to step up to a pad that could handle a little more heat. The 60's took a full day of beating at Atlanta Motor Speedway (oval + road course setup) last weekend -- temps in the 90's, top speeds over 150 mph, three high speed braking zones and I didn't get a bit of fade.

On the "con" side, the DTC-60 is considerably more expensive than the DTC-30. I've run the 30's on the street as a dual purpose street and track pad, however I swap between the DTC-60's for the track and HPS for the street now to help with longevity and to cut down the dusting on the street.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

I bought DTC-30's for the price and reviews, honestly. I have no ABS so wasn't too keen on just going from a street performance pad to a full race pad. I figured baby steps would be better, plus I wasn't sure if this brake setup was what I was going to stick with in the long run.

I just finished putting them in and and once I bedded them they had WAAAAAAY more bite and don't require even half the pressure I was giving the previous pads. I'll see how they hold up Saturday.

Last event, we were up at the garages and had air and power within feet of us. Not sure we can get lucky again. We only run 1 timed lap, then a 1/2 lap cool down because the paddock entry is there. Generally, I have to brake hard on turn one after my timed lap, but after that I drive 60% if that until I get to the paddock. Once there, it is no less than 10min and up to 30 before my next run so brakes have time to cool.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

What Brake fluid are you running with those pads?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

ATE Super Blue. On my last can before I switch to Motul RBF600
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Well, not sure what to think. Started the day off on a bad note. I fill up outside the track and on the ride in I started getting a misfire. Had to do some FAST troubleshooting and luckily I bring a voltmeter because it was a wire for the #4 coil pack that runs behind the bracket. Had to fix that before tech and missed first practice.

The track was HOT and greasy. I ran my pressures I started with last time 35F/27R cold and it was like driving on ice in the rear. Later in the day I worked up to 33rear and it felt better. They repaved a lot of turns and the car just felt slippery in all those spots form me.

Brakes, I think my off track last month had me too tentative and braking way too early all day. I heated them up too much on my practice runs and only locked them up once but this time I was able to modulate it and still run my fastest lap of the day. Honestly I did not push it at all because I was scared to lock up and go off again. I do need the ABS though and I have the replacement reluctor I need for the Diff, so once I get a chance I'll have to put that in.

I tried a few runs in 3rd but I am not a high revving person so I could tell I was pedaling it keep the RPM down and not have to shift up and down a lot. I cannot heel toe this damn car to save my life. The pedals are just oddly placed for me here and I can't reach the gas while on the brake hard. My runs in 4th felt smoother, but chuggy in spots.

Disappointed would be a good description, but I still had a blast. This time there were 2 other FBodies so got to see some of them in action and check out their cars.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Are you going on the 6th of Sept? Also I put a video on youtube that's got a drive by of your car at the end. (Blackhawk Aug 2nd)

Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Trying. I need to get some cooling ducts and a catch can before then, but my schedule may keep me from getting any of that work in.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK9...PlkUglqTsFXZkA

Vids I took with my birthday present.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice^^
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there was a company that made cooling ducts... i cant think of it for my life now... Been wanting to get to blackhawk for awhile. Still puting parts on my car... next year for sure
Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Blaine fabrication makes ducts
Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Launching!

found it

http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...roducts_id=209
Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
Blaine

Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys! Right now it doesn't look good for making it back the BHF. Heading out of town and probably won't be back in time to get anything put on the car. If I am around then, I might make the next event at Autobahn Country Club but so far it seems my season is done early.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Blaine

no way in hell id pay that much... i can make my own for less than that

Quick Reply: Secondtrip to Blackhawk