Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

ABS inop, brake light and Low Trac after many runs on AutoCross

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop, brake light and Low Trac after many runs on AutoCross

I had a time trial on Sat. and autocross on Sunday this past weekend and after several laps the above lights would come on and indeed they were true as the back wheels would lock up under moderate to heavy braking. After my laps were done I could let it cool for an hour or so and the lights would be off and the system would work normally. A few laps later and I would loose ABS and all those lights would come on.

I have DOT 4 fluid and Brembo pads on the front, stock pads on the rear.

I read a 11 page thread on this in the brake section and it didn't seem to fit very well with my symptoms. Anyone here have to do something about their ABS to get them to work on the track?

Greg
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe bleed your brakes. It can't hurt, and might fix the problem. I'm thinking something overheated.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1981TA
maybe bleed your brakes. It can't hurt, and might fix the problem. I'm thinking something overheated.
It only happens after they have been really heated up. I plan to bleed them again- I just put DOT 4 fluid in it when I put the new Brembo pads on the front. At that time I bled the entire system and pushed a big bottle of fluid through, I got about 100ml through each caliper. I also want to be clear- it's not like the brakes went away, as they would with boiled fluid. When the ABS stopped working, the back brakes would lock up but the pedal was still responding.

I will go back and try it some more.

Is this a factory brake system ( caliper, ABS block ) function? Said another way- are many running the factory brake lines, ABS block and calipers while racing and NOT having problems with the heat?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Mine did that once at the track but cleared up once I shut off and restarted the car. I was breaking over a big bump and apparently threw it into error status. Make sure no wires under the car are getting up against something hot (O2 wire, wire to the reverse lockout solenoid, etc). I had an O2 wire that had loosened up and was shorting out against the header causing the same condition. An issue with one will cause all that stuff to stop working.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Mine did that once at the track but cleared up once I shut off and restarted the car. I was breaking over a big bump and apparently threw it into error status. Make sure no wires under the car are getting up against something hot (O2 wire, wire to the reverse lockout solenoid, etc). I had an O2 wire that had loosened up and was shorting out against the header causing the same condition. An issue with one will cause all that stuff to stop working.
I can shut the car off and re- start with no effect. It's got to cool for a while before the issue goes away.
Nonetheless, I will get under there and check all that stuff.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNB...ature=youtu.be

Here's a video of one of my runs
Old 09-15-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never encountered that as an intermittent problem.

One time on track I lost ABS completely and had the same warning lights after a hub failure, however the lights stayed on and ABS was off until I replaced the hub (problem solved).

Do you have an ABS scan tool? Would be curious as to what it showed as the error codes. Based on the intermittent nature it sounds like it may be something electrical / short related. Seen plenty of guys run into issues with wiring hitting headers.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

This problem just occurred for the first time yesterday for me. Now I believe in two sections of the lot I had the rear wheels hop off the ground, but it also felt that I actually had more braking modulation than before and it felt like a locked a wheel.

A problem my car had at nationals, was the first 2 corners it would have good modulation, then brakes go hard the rest of the run. In for opinions!

Quick Reply: ABS inop, brake light and Low Trac after many runs on AutoCross