Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First Time Auto X

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Auto X

So as the title says I just recently went to an auto cross event just for fun, and it was a blast. Obviously I didn't do too incredible being my first time out and I also have an A4 with 2.73's. So in the future i'm going to do what I can to build it for both drag racing and auto cross and I know what I need to do.

But here's my main question; how many people are using an A4 in autocross? It was very difficult for me, so I just left it in first gear the whole time which worked better but I was scared I was going to ruin the transmission.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did an event last month. While mine is an M6, there were two other 4th gens there both running A4's. They did well.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would assume you leave it in second with an automatic. My car back in the day with stranos springs and koni SA's with big sway bars pulled a 12.9 @108 at the drag strip with 336HP and M6 on 320 tread wear Street tires. The car handled well but nothing compared to how it is setup now. The car now is strictly AX/RR.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a good transmission cooler. Normally I would tell you to launch in 1st then go to 2nd and leave it there...but 2.73s are going to make that useless. Try to get rid of those for some 3.42-3.73s

I would run with an extra qt of oil (6 qts total) just to be safe in case you linger in the higher RPMs
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Launching!

I'm kind of in the same boat I have to Camaro 1 is a 6 speed car the other one is a a4 car the m6 car I drag race the a4 car I felt for my wife we want it as an all around car that we can drag race road race autocross this last summer we did some autocross with it wasn't bad its got a 3600 stall in it seems like it kept it in the power getting ready to order some shocks for it to make it handle a little better I know I am kind of doing this *** backwards I should be road racing the M6 car and drag racing the auto car there is a local race call the Sandhills open road challenge me and a friend has helped out for a couple years with tech inspection and have navigated this year we put in for the race and actually got in so now it'S to make the auto car Road Race worthy been trying to find some build threads on road race cars on here but apparently nobody Road races a Camaro
Old 11-29-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black and pink z28
...been trying to find some build threads on road race cars on here but apparently nobody Road races a Camaro
For starters, poke through this section (Racing\Road Race) and take a look at the threads in which CamaroKid91 and FastFatBoy have either started in or participated in heavily. Both of them road race 4th gens and have documented their various tweaks and adjustments on this site. It should be easy to pick up the build strategy from them (though I think both have M6 cars).

Also look for threads in which Joe Strano has participated - that guy talks the talk and walks the walk (i.e. he REALLY knows his stuff). If he says X or Y is or is not needed for your suspension, listen.

There are others here as well, but names escape me. I'm sure they'll chime in - there is no shortage of 4th gen road racers around here.

Drivetrain-wise, feel free to root through my build thread and ask questions, but be mindful that it's the loose nut being the wheel that generally needs the most work
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

I've been autocrossing for several years in my 2000 Z28 6-speed. Once I'm in 2nd gear, I leave it there. There was only a few courses where upshifting to 3rd could be done, but then you are going to have to downshift to second again - best to hit the limiter and just leave it in second. Anyway, it is a blast for sure. As far as handling mods, I have Strano springs and sway bars, Fays2 Watts link, Koni Yellows, UMI subframe connectors, turn one power steering pump, and have been running Toyo RA1s recently. Here is a video from earlier in the month. It was chilly, so grip wasn't the best, but still fun!

Old 12-21-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Fun course. Is that a police training facility? Wish I had something like that close, all I get is parking lot miata courses that I can barely get out of first gear.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yup, it's at the Houston Police Academy. It's concrete, so the surface is durable but hard on tires. The Houston club runs at a few locations, so there is a little variety in course design and surface!

Quick Reply: First Time Auto X