Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Wife's first real autocross!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wife's first real autocross!

My wife has been nothing but supportive with my autocrossing. Her bother and father both road race at Mid Ohio every chance they get with a 67 and 87 Vette. Last year at a VERY small event (sub 30sec course) she raced her own DD a 06 Accord. This year my goal was to get her into MY car since she always comes to watch and take photos.

So finally, she got her manual driving/launching practice in and I signed my Camaro up for two driver duties. Her biggest worry was "not launching fast enough" which I promptly said not to worry about that and just learn/have fun.

Goals for a good/fun day were:
1)Car doesn't break
2)She has fun
3)She beats ANYONE

Well, 16 runs later the car took all runs like a champ with zero hiccups(Goal #1 met). Once she built up some confidence in herself and her ability to push the car she started to have fun (Sweet...Goal#2 met!). Results come in and she was 9th out of 11 cars in our class and was 5 sec behind me! Hell yea! 3 for 3 on goals!

Now she barely drives my car on the street. Is still somewhat nervous about it in terms of emergency's and driving a manual but she is getting there. So this was her first time driving my car in ANY aggressive manner. Her first run came in at 80+sec no cones. She kept knocking full seconds off her time and she set herself a goal to break 70sec. Her last run she killed it and managed to pull a 69.354. I was SO proud of her and friggin ecstatic! She had a blast learning and driving as well. All day she did not hit one cone.

Here is my fastest run. I would have got 3rd and a trophy if I didn't butcher 2 turns during this run.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! I'm so jealous that you were able to get your better half behind the wheel!

It's hard enough to convince my wife to even get in the car with me. My aspiration is to get her in the passenger seat one day on track or running the "Tail of the Dragon". We can all dream!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Between last season and this season she has only missed one event. She typically will ride with me last couple of runs as my "good luck charm" to get fastest times. She isn't too keen on riding along the first half of the runs as I'm still working out some kinks and spin-outs don't make her too happy

It was good because her parents happen to come see us run "just because". So it was nice having her dad there to see his "baby girl" do some work on the course lol.

Being her 2nd time on a course and the first time driving my car, my only goal was to let he do her thing and help if she needed something. Come the 4th of 8 runs all I was doing was sitting silent in the passenger seat lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Very cool!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats pretty awesome! I wouldn't trust my lady to drive my car around town let alone race it! lol Funny cause she complained I never let her drive my car so I let her drive it once, and being used to driving her cobalt she pressed down on the gas pedel and spun the tires at the light, pulled over and said she was done drivng my car.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

NICE.

I took my 20 y/o son to the TRSS course last Sat and KYSCCA had a T&T afterwards. He had a blast. My wife had to work but I wish I could have gotten her out there. She has never done it but wants to. She had a 94 Del Sol that was all set up for SOLO2 but it was totalled. Now she has a '12 WRX that I want to get her out in.

But congrats. But now you either lost your ride or have to get a 2nd car for her too. LOL
End up like me:
Wife - 94 Impala SS Her show/race car & her WRX DD
20 y/o Son - 2 Dirtbikes and 01 Z28 built for SOLO2
15 y/o Daughter, 1 dirtbike and car purchase and build in the works
Me - a truck and trailer to haul everything and the tools doing all the wrenching.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Oh I have no worries of her taking my car lol. She had a good time but I'm only rich enough to keep up on 1 "race car" LOL.

Have 2 more events this year hoping to get her in the seat on both of them.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats man! enjoy perks of a woman who likes and supports your hobby!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

It's been fun. Yesterday she was helping me search for a spare LT1 motor for me to disassemble/learn and eventually build on craigslist. Just took it upon herself to contact the people and ask for pics/info. I was pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
It's been fun. Yesterday she was helping me search for a spare LT1 motor for me to disassemble/learn and eventually build on craigslist. Just took it upon herself to contact the people and ask for pics/info. I was pleasantly surprised!
That is "one" of the best ways to learn. A lot of hands on plus a lot of guidance from exp. hands.

Quick Reply: Wife's first real autocross!