Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Going from RS3 V2 to Pilot Super Sports, how bad will i be disappointed?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Question Going from RS3 V2 to Pilot Super Sports, how bad will i be disappointed?

my first set of real tires are/were Hankook RS3 v2 (285/35/18) (200TW)
however after just 6 months of racing im nearly down to cords even with proper camber. I LOVE the tires and insane grip, but i don't think i can financially afford to replace them that often. (car doesnt see any street miles)

so im looking into alternative. Michelin Pilot super sports are 300TW. how big of a difference in grip and lap times will i see? i mean i can remember running street tires with a lower TW than 300 back in the day.
Thoughts?

also does anyone know if the RS3 are fictitiously rated at 200? i know some manufactures do that to make them legal for certain classes. if they are truely a 100 TW or something than i might look into another tire thats a true 200 TW and still get longer life, but not give up so much grip as going to the 300 TW, Michelin PSS tires.

also open to any other recommendations for tires? my requirements are 200-300 TW and less than $300 each. and that last longer than the RS3s
Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word I hear is that the RS3's are the longest lasting 200TW tires on the market right now. Other 200TW tires like the BFG and the Bridgestones are even softer and last around 150 laps, depending on surface and driving style. I'm getting ready to install some RS3 on my TA, coming from Nitto 555's, 300TW. I did well on those tires and was not disappointed in the grip I got at all, and I got 2.5 seasons from them totaling about 300 laps and 2K street miles.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I instructed a guy in a 2015 Z51 Vette with the PSS on it and was amazed at the grip.

You overdrive them and they get greasy quick though.

I have the PSS on the Z06 for my daily tires, I love them.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

What is "proper camber" to you? In for photo of tires.

One race season is all you're going to get out of a 200 street tire, especially in the hot part of the country.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Update... I ended up going with Nitto NT05. When I went to buy tires, Discount Tire could not locate ANY 200TW RS-3's, it is like they switched the rating back to 140 for this year.

I don't know if anyone else is finding the same story....
Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Discount tire fed you a bunch of bull. Since 2014 (version 2), the rs3 has been 200tw. Quick search on hankooks site confirms this. If discount tire has 140tw, they have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Think of it this way - why would hankook make their popular performance tire, which was developed for scca street tire classes (200tw), now illegal by making it a 140tw? Use tirerack, at least they know what they are talking about and don't dick customers around. They also support grassroots motorsports.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

i think the problem is the cars weight (ie why so much wear, plus high speed rough track)
ive been reading the CF 2015 200tw thread all morning and there getting much better wear out of their 200 TW tires, rivals, 71Rs etc.

just worreid about pulling the trigger on the PSS. worried about being disappointed in performance.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

You're a novice, you won't notice a damn thing.

Get the Nitto NT05 if you are concerned about price. Much cheaper than the PSS, they last forever. TWS has an old, shitty surface. It will chew tires. Also, get it out of your head that the same tire will last as long as your car as they will on a vette. Can't compare a nose heavy f-body to a balanced vette that is hundreds of pounds lighter.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
You're a novice, you won't notice a damn thing.

Get the Nitto NT05 if you are concerned about price. Much cheaper than the PSS, they last forever. TWS has an old, shitty surface. It will chew tires. Also, get it out of your head that the same tire will last as long as your car as they will on a vette. Can't compare a nose heavy f-body to a balanced vette that is hundreds of pounds lighter.
I'll find out on my own but, maybe you can help me reach the same conclusion a little more quickly... I got the NT05's installed last weekend and that's done. Anyway you could give me an idea of the difference in grip I can see going from the Nitto 555 to the NT05? Also, what's a good starting place for air pressures? I have 4000# with me and a full tank and I have 2300# of that sitting on the front. I wore the 555's out on the outside edge, probably due to running too low of air pressure and because I didn't have as much static negative camber and for most of their life I had soft springs and when the wheel moved up it moved the top of the tire out. I have that corrected now.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
I'll find out on my own but, maybe you can help me reach the same conclusion a little more quickly... I got the NT05's installed last weekend and that's done. Anyway you could give me an idea of the difference in grip I can see going from the Nitto 555 to the NT05? Also, what's a good starting place for air pressures? I have 4000# with me and a full tank and I have 2300# of that sitting on the front. I wore the 555's out on the outside edge, probably due to running too low of air pressure and because I didn't have as much static negative camber and for most of their life I had soft springs and when the wheel moved up it moved the top of the tire out. I have that corrected now.
I've never used the 555, so I can't compare. I'm sure the grip level is higher, by how much I really don't know. I liked the NT05 for the price and durability, they can't be beat in that regard.

For starting pressures, they only thing I can tell you is low. It's been a few years since I ran those tires so I can't remember where I was at. Keep in mind I used them on a very different application (3200 lb 4th gen - 315's on all corners) but I remember my cold pressures were in the low 20's - I think somewhere between 20-23. Ended up around 28 hot and the tires seemed to be happy. The sidewalls must be very stiff because the tires still felt ok at the lower pressures before they warmed up. Your outer edge wear was probably more a result of lack of camber then incorrect pressure.

Overall I thought the NT05 was a great tire. Does it have the grip of the RS3/RE71/Rival? No, those are all race tires pretending to be street rubber whereas the NT05 is more of a high performance summer tire. But all those tires heat cycle out and lose grip before the tread is half gone. The NT05 is pretty consistent throughout its life even if it's put through lots of abuse.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

I've never used the 555, so I can't compare. I'm sure the grip level is higher, by how much I really don't know. I liked the NT05 for the price and durability, they can't be beat in that regard.

For starting pressures, they only thing I can tell you is low. It's been a few years since I ran those tires so I can't remember where I was at. Keep in mind I used them on a very different application (3200 lb 4th gen - 315's on all corners) but I remember my cold pressures were in the low 20's - I think somewhere between 20-23. Ended up around 28 hot and the tires seemed to be happy. The sidewalls must be very stiff because the tires still felt ok at the lower pressures before they warmed up. Your outer edge wear was probably more a result of lack of camber then incorrect pressure.

Overall I thought the NT05 was a great tire. Does it have the grip of the RS3/RE71/Rival? No, those are all race tires pretending to be street rubber whereas the NT05 is more of a high performance summer tire. But all those tires heat cycle out and lose grip before the tread is half gone. The NT05 is pretty consistent throughout its life even if it's put through lots of abuse.

Thank you for your response. I'm more concerned about consistency through the life of the tire than I am about getting quicker by .5sec. I'm just not there yet in my driving and car set up. I'm just having fun still, oh, and I still don't have a race budget....
Old 02-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Teching In

IRT tire choices...

If you're budget-minded (which sounds to be the case), a far better investment in your lap times is on going with a cheaper tire and focusing on the nut behind the wheel. You're much more likely to go out and get seat time with a cheap tire which offers okay performance than with a super sticky expensive tire which is gone in just a few runs.

Seat time is a much more valuable mod than is throwing money at the latest and greatest thing in tire compounds.

You'll like the NT05. It's not a bad tire, and drives very consistently. It's very much a dry weather tire, but won't do anything unexpected when you're running on dry pavement.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
Thank you for your response. I'm more concerned about consistency through the life of the tire than I am about getting quicker by .5sec. I'm just not there yet in my driving and car set up. I'm just having fun still, oh, and I still don't have a race budget....
You will be very happy with your tire choice. I think the NT05 is a great tire, I recommend it to a lot of people because of its price and durability. It will allow you to go out and get plenty of consistent seat time. I'm guessing you mostly autocross, might be worth spraying them down with water after runs since you're in a hot part of the country. At the track, I've never seen anyone bother.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

On my Fbody with the NT-05 in a 275 square setup they liked 30 front and 26 rear start pressures at a road course event.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

ended up going with a set of Dunlop ZII Star Specs.
RS3s were back ordered.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

What sizes?
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

went from 285/35/18 RS3
to 275/35/18 ZII

the 275 dunlops are as wide as the RS3 285s. Tire rack specs confirm this too.
and the 285 RS3s were as wide as my 295 BFGs.
so the 275s are quite wide for there advertised size.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

You will be very happy with your tire choice. I think the NT05 is a great tire, I recommend it to a lot of people because of its price and durability. It will allow you to go out and get plenty of consistent seat time. I'm guessing you mostly autocross, might be worth spraying them down with water after runs since you're in a hot part of the country. At the track, I've never seen anyone bother.

They seemed to work well on my first outing. They like the lower air pressure, on my last morning lap, I ended up pushing through a set of cones and DNF'd. When I got back to my spot I measured 36psi. In the afternoon I kept the pressures are 30 and the grip started better and stayed good throughout the session. I was 1.8 seconds faster too!

I am finishing up on improvements to my alignment and am hoping to find some positive results there too. I can easily forsee this year being a year learning what the car is telling me- air pressures, surface, shock settings to get consistent lap times.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I ran the nt05 for an autocross season and burned about half way through the tread. Grip was consistent even though it wasn't the best. I'm sure I could get another season out of them. Mine liked a little higher pressures than normal, around 38 fronts and 32 rears during autocross.

I tried the Kumho XS last year and was impressed initially but overtime it felt like a significant drop in grip. I wouldn't buy them again.

If they made rs3s in 315 I would get them. I instead just picked up a set of 315 rivals to run this year. Gonna take advantage of the CAM C pax for SCCA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going from RS3 V2 to Pilot Super Sports, how bad will i be disappointed?