Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

what types of racing out there? new to racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what types of racing out there? new to racing

as of this year my ws6 turbo is now complete. needless to say im also growing out of the back road drags and now more interested in a controlled racing environment. im planning on going to the drag strip this year once i install all track requirements but im also picking up an older triumph gt6 that i would like to try as a road racer and maybe the ws6 when i learn to actually drive in a road course.(although i think the turbo wont be eligible.)

ive heard people talk about different class racing(like e/f/a/b? i dont recall actual letters)
as a beginner i know i wont go into racing right away. but i figured it would be nice to keep the car in compliance to what i would eventually race in so i dont spend money on mods that i would have to remove.

my question is where do i learn about different class im not entirely sure what to search for, do i focus on road racing or auto cross?

what would be the specific class that the 69 triumph gt6 belong in?

I have no problem googling stuff if you guys can just point me in a general direction on what to start searching that would be awesome

thank you.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Autocross events you don't even need to worry. It's the friendliest type of gathering you'll ever go to, and the experienced folks at the registration booth will put you in the class you need to be in.

Road racing for the most part, is going to class you by experience until you get a time trial or provisional comp license. You'll start off with an instructor and work your way up. By the time you get a license you'll have a good idea of where you need to be - generally the classing is done by power to weight ratio as a base then modifiers for certain things.

nasaproracing.com/
www.scca.com
Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on what DietCoke said. For road race, I started out with open track days / HPDE. Not technically racing, but still a chance to get out on the track in your car and in a friendly environment. You'll have a blast. Also, look up your local SCCA chapter and see if they're having an autocross event. NW Indiana SCCA has at least one every month as weather permits. It is a total blast.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the autocross. Everyone I've managed to drag to an event has absolutely loved the experience, and have come back.

Don't fret about classes. Go in with an open mind, with the expectation of not being the best damned driver since (insert famed racecar driver here). Seat time trumps ranking on the board any damned day.

As an aside, if/when you go the Autocross route, the SCCA "invented" a new class a couple of years back in hopes of bringing more muscle cars out to parking lots around America- CAM. The power adder would dump you right on out of ESP (E Street Prepared) and into SM (Street Modified) previously, but now there's a fantastically wide-open class which kind of lets you get away with most modifications while still ranking somewhere near the ESP guys. I know this because I regularly autocross my own turbo ws6.

Have fun!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As the other guys stated above, HPDE and autocross are great places to start and gain the experience you will need to compete.

I'm most interested in improving as a driver and experiencing the thrill of driving my car closer to the limit in a safe (non-public road) environment. Hence, HPDE is the perfect fit for me.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autocross teaches you car control at lower speeds, great place to feel how your car moves around and how you react under stress.

Trackdays and HPDE events up the ante, the price for a mistake here may be high so listen to your instructor and do exactly what he tells you WHEN he tells you to do it.

Have fun

Sorry for your Visa card, may it RIP LOL.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPDE are the best when you get with a good group which there are a lot of.

Quick Reply: what types of racing out there? new to racing