TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size slick were you running?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

275/35/18.
same as the 200TW

visually i thought the slick looked slightly shorter sidewall, but laying them next to the 200tw they looked to be darn near identical.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2

Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ Hahahaha!!!
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve91T
Dude you've got the racing vs HPDE thing totally backwards! Theres a reason there isn't just one class of racing, because the dude with the fattest wallet would only win! Pick the class that works for your budget and go racing for way less than you are spending for HPDE's! My car is still street legal, because I enjoy driving it on the road. I'm also planning my mods for TT3, which limits me to about 340 rwhp because of my weight. And in really enjoying the challenge of being fast with less hp.

You're also right about the crap about slicks being ice when cold. There is a big difference between cold grip and hot grip, but not ice.
Not gonna lie, I spend less racing this Camaro than I did HPDEing the Z06. Of course that's because I get Toyo Bucks, super helpful but also it makes less power which makes it easier to cool and easier on consumables. Don't forget that you can go instruct and get free track time too. A lot of TT guys have your mindset and the nice thing about that is open passing. I got sick and tired of hot footing it for a lap or 2 then catching slow guys nonstop for the rest of the session. Totally ruined the fun and made it impossible to set a time. The downside I saw to it (TT) was the fact that there was still such a wide span of speed. As a car that sees 90%+ track duty, you ABSOLUTELY need more camber, no ifs ands or buts. With 200TW, no less than -1.8 and with a DOT legal R comp or better you'll want to be -2.5 +/-. You're trying to see how far the tire is rolling as opposed to taking temps to determine necessary camber. I was surprised to see the wear pattern when I set camber by temps. You REALLY have to lean on the car to get the pattern to hit the tips of the triangles. I run -2.5 with 900# springs and 29mm bar and I'm about bang on. I believe you're running the Strano springs which are 550# but I forget which bar, I know the stock 32mm is about 100# stiffer than mine for reference. The car will feel much better mid corner with the right camber, I don't want to say it's like the front is on rails but it definitely grabs onto something noticeable compared to insufficient camber. I never thought I'd feel the difference, but it was there. My first season I had a ghetto *** camber gauge that severely lacked resolution so I thought I was around -1.8 but in reality I was at -1.4. From there I went to -2.0 and boy what a difference! The car was more consistent to the end and this year, since stepping up to -2.5, I quit flipping tires on the rim due to uneven wear. I don't think even Corvette guys run as low as -1.3 and as you know those things are light years better than a 4th gen.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

i remember feeling the difference going from stock to -1.0. also felt like i may have lost a touch of braking. was probly in my head though.

i assume racing would require cage, harnesses, fire extinguisher, etc.

ive thought about teaching. i enjoy teaching. im only 1 group below the instructors group now.

while were on the subject, after my weekend was ended i decided to ask for a ride along with an instructor in his '06 z06 (coilovers, 200tw etc)
i was really surprised. but in a bad way. i wasnt impressed with his driving. VERY different form mine.
he would shoot up the straight, SLAM on the brakes what felt like almost to a stop, pivot, then shoot up the next straight, and repeated this for the whole track all 15 corners. it was so strange to me. i have a very gokart/miata driving style, flowing and rolling threw, more fluid and smooth. his rear end grip was impressive though vs mine (275s vs 325s) that was nice. but also causes understeer at a few rare times, i dont miss that with my square setup.
i also happened to start my lap timer app when i got in his car. only running 2:04 best lap times. 2 seconds slower than my slick lap times, and 4.5 seconds slower than my 200tw times.
i also videoed the session with my helmet cam. but you cant see the slaming on brakes and pivoting driving style without the butt G meter, it looks more normal in the video.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Launching!

i remember feeling the difference going from stock to -1.0. also felt like i may have lost a touch of braking. was probly in my head though.

ive thought about teaching. i enjoy teaching. im only 1 group below the instructors group now.

while were on the subject, after my weekend was ended i decided to ask for a ride along with an instructor in his '06 z06 (coilovers, 200tw etc)
i was really surprised. but in a bad way. i wasnt impressed with his driving. VERY different form mine.
he would shoot up the straight, SLAM on the brakes what felt like almost to a stop, pivot, then shoot up the next straight, and repeated this for the whole track all 15 corners. it was so strange to me. i have a very gokart/miata driving style, flowing and rolling threw, more fluid and smooth. his rear end grip was impressive though vs mine (275s vs 325s) that was nice. but also causes understeer at a few rare times, i dont miss that with my square setup.
i also happened to start my lap timer app when i got in his car. only running 2:04 best lap times. 2 seconds slower than my slick lap times, and 4.5 seconds slower than my 200tw times.
i also videoed the session with my helmet cam. but you cant see the slaming on brakes and pivoting driving style without the butt G meter, it looks more normal in the video.
That's why I'm going to do Time Trials. You don't need any of that and you can keep your car street legal. The problem is you're making so much power, you'd be in TT2. Lots of fast cars in that group. I'm shooting for TT3. Anyway, check it out.

I know what you mean about the instructor. I got to a point that the instructor was just dead weight. Not to say that I'm done learning, just you get to a point that you need to be on your own to continue to learn.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

hmm, not really having any issues stopping. im pretty much going deeper than anyone. never had the car let me down in that department. I mean I can scrape the airdam now with a hard stomp.

however im sure any of those listed about would take it too a whole nother level. are they really needed with my BBK?

I assume pads are like tires, the more bite you get the less they last?
Thanks for sharing. Great read.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Really high powered cars require a sort of point and shoot driving style and in NASA drivers can only do 80% with a passenger, so he may be faster. Also, slamming on the brakes is a good thing, your brake application should be violent to the point that your eyes bug out of your head while still maintaining traction. My car will axle hop if I do that though, so that's a bummer. Not saying this guy was good or bad, just saying some of what you observed may not be as wrong as you think. This Camaro does not turn in the way my Z06 did, so I end up cheating entries sometimes with an early initiation but hanging out for that late apex especially toward the end of a session. You have to be smooth to make one of these pigs get around a road course or else you'll be drifting every corner and shooting dirt roosts which can be fun. Another reason I'm not in TT, I overheard the TT director recently quasi-scolding his folks for bad behaviour. He reminded them that 4 wheels off requires you to come in. I'm thinking ****, I hardly ever lift when I'm 4 off. That sounds lame. Way better shenannigans in W2W but it's an adjustment let me tell you. I didn't build my race car so I don't have much to be proud of or showcase and I always feel like people walking by think I did a shitty job putting the thing together.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Launching!

^^^ doesn't lift when you're 4 off....that cracks me up.

That's why I initially started turning my car into CMC but I missed driving it on the street too much. I think they are so strict with TT is because the safety requirements are the same as HPDE, so it's for obvious reasons. What I think is cool is that NASA created a type of competition that allows people to make the jump from HPDE to competition without going full blown w2w. Although I think it'll just hold me over until I stumble across a briefcase full of money and can afford/justify a full blown race car. Actually think Thunder Roadsters could be a possibility for me. They are pretty big over here.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Corey, always tearing stuff up!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Off topic, but where'd you get that light in post #7?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great story!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kenyanr1
Off topic, but where'd you get that light in post #7?
https://store.snapon.com/Compact-Sho...s-P824394.aspx
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well after racing the Camaro for awhile and building it up i found myself wanting more. Well actually less, weight that is. I also wanted the ability to have rear camber. Plus the Camaro was getting harder and harder to find parts for. Sooooo after watching the C6Z market for about 9 months and doing a ton of research i picked up my first vette yesterday!

2009 Z06 3LZ
38000 miles
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-xhulzdd.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-04xlyvu.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-owyr9mn.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-n4ij4zf.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-h4wg3rv.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-zeuwg4a.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-lacsvcn.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-oxr2bdq.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-3eggjhk.jpg

If i was going to spend this kind of coin i wanted a modded one with the basics already done, and this one had it, along with some extras.

Mod List:

TSP Stage 3 LS7S cam: 242/250 .655/.655 114LSA
Upgraded valve springs and retainers
TSP 1-7/8" Polished Stainless Steel headers
TSP 3" Polished Stainless Steel X-pipe (no cats)
K & N cold air intake
Mild 2 Wild dual mode exhaust controller
Lingenfelter 160 degree thermostat
Hinson Motorsports short throw shifter and ****
CCW Forged SP16A wheels: 19 x 9.5 and 19 x 13
Gloss black wrapped roof
Blacked out taillights
Blacked out side markers
Lloyds Z06 mats
Pioneer double din touch screen head unit

Gonna be weird starting all over again from nothing but it will be worth it in the end i think. The car is truly phenomenal so far. LOTS more to come!

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 07-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Man, that thing looks pristine. Congrats! To be honest, I would take a C6 over a C7 any day. Just a better looking car in my opinion.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Nothing weird about it, they're super easy to drive compared to a 4th gen Camaro. Just take tire temps, figure out your alignment, and drive the wheels off of it. Have the heads been fixed yet?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks
thats the big unknown. there is not WCC or AHR engraving on them, so i am going to assume not and tackle that/check right away.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

God damn it...another "I like to follow your 4th gen build thread cuz it gives me high hopes" gone to ****...

Last one I remember was following FastFatBoy that also went Z06...

You guys are killing me! I'm trying NOT to just jump into a C5/C6 and keep things cheap with a 4th gen LOL.

When you say parts became harder to find, what parts are you referring to???

Congrats, car looks killer. You will have fun with it. I bet driving that with tires only for a couple of events you will best your times in the Camaro and say "why didn't I do this sooner??"
Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

haha well i still own it, and the wife still has her SOM WS6 daily driver too.
FastFatBoy has offered alot of advice to me, i talk to him on the corvette forum last few months.

mostly OEM parts.

Thanks! Im sure i will be slower in it cause ill have to get used to it, the camaro i could beat on and drive it like i stole it cause i didnt care. this one im sure ill tip toe around. at least until the new wears off. or once the payments stop

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"