Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Who wants to go road racing? Vids inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Who wants to go road racing? Vids inside.

Most people, myself included, start doing track days with no clue what the important things are to spend time and money on on car setup and modification. They have no long term vision and don't realize that the car of their dreams that they're building won't fit into any highly populated W2W class and some just aren't willing to subject that car to those horrors. That's where the Camaro Mustang Challenge comes in with NASA. It's pretty easy to find a pre-built car for under $10,000 and you can build one yourself for not much more if you're crafty. We allow 3rd gens and 4th gens. 3rd gens can run 5.0 TPI or a spec carb'd option with Vortec heads and a 600cfm carb. 3rd gens can also swap in an LT1 or LS based 5.7/5.3. Mustangs are allowed too, but everyone is limited to around 260whp and the Chevies all have to choke down to that. My LT1 powered car runs a 36mm restrictor plate to get down that far. Cages, suits, HNR, racing bucket/harnesses are all required items for this class. Suspension is pretty basic, I have Unbalanced Engineering front coilovers with Bilstein racing shocks all around and stock swaybars. Brakes are C5 fronts, stock rears, and Raybestos ST43 pads that last a whole season. I run 275/40/17 Toyo RR or RA1 (class requirement, but contingencies are great). I think that's about it, the cars are very evenly matched. Here's a video of me in Hallett 2014, one of my favorite races I've ever driven. It's an invert, meaning everyone in front of me is slower than me and everyone behind me is faster.

If this is something that interests you, leave questions in here or PM/email me. There are a number of NASA regions with healthy CMC populations. My name is Dustin and I'm the NASA Rocky Mountain CMC Director.

Quick Reply: Who wants to go road racing? Vids inside.