Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Autocross / Road Racing in Socal

Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autocross / Road Racing in Socal

Hey guys, I just picked up a 98 Z28 (DD) and want to get some seat time at some local courses. Does anyone have any suggestions for courses in Los Angeles or nearby? I'm looking to get my feet wet and possibly get some instruction time... Not looking to break the bank though.

Here's a list of current mods

Koni Yellows (1-way adjustable on car)
Eibach Pro (1.25", 400lb fr, 80-137lb rear)
founders front strut bar
Founders single adjustable Panhard
Founders LCA Relocation Brackets (lowest setting)
Strano Front 35mm hollow Sway Bar
OEM rear sway w/ poly bushings/end links
C5 Thin spokes 18x9.5 all around
285/40/18 and 275/40/18 (rear/front) Nitro 555's

Future mods
Moog LCA/Ball Joints on all 4 corners
Strano springs (1.25", 550lb fr, 150lb rear)
Strano rear sway bar (22mm hollow)

The car has 118k mile so I plan to do the following maintenance before Track day (additional suggestions are welcome here):
Brake pads + fluid (suggestions?)
Diff/Tranny fluids (suggestions?)
Radiator flush (OEM spec?)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every couple of months or so my friends and I will rent out a track near Victorville called Grange Motor Circuit and invite anyone that is interested. We can run 10 cars on the track at the same time so you can get as much seat time as you want. We also can provide tips and help along the way. Here's our website https://www.racefreely.com/ (sorry it's still a work in progress) We are not for profit in anyway and all the entry fees goes to track rental, insurance, and food. Keep an eye out on the western members forum for our Post.

Anyways looks like you have a pretty good setup at the moment. You'll surely want to get that rear sway bar on that'll help a good amount. Also you probably don't want to have the LCA in the lowest setting, as the lowest setting is best for traction and drag racing. You'll want to set it so the LCA is parallel to the ground, so usually just the middle slot to best reduce roll steer. In the future you should go with a square tire setup as well so you can rotate the tires anywhere, have a better balanced setup and reduce the risk of freaking out your ABS.

I don't have much experience with many different brands of brake pads yet, I just switched to the Hawk HPS but that is for the CTS-V. Our cars come with too high of rear bias braking causing the rear wheels to lockup first, so you might leave your current rear pads on and get some more aggressive front pads to balance it a bit better.

Diff/tranny fluids will be fine with the stock stuff, be a good idea to get a nice diff cover with cap supports to help the 10 bolt last a bit longer, and if you have an auto you'll want an additional tranny cooler.

Radiator flush you'll just want to flush out the dexcrap and swap in the green stuff.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoy the occasional open track day with my LS swapped '67 Firebird and have taken my '67 Firebird to Autoclub Speedway through Speed Ventures http://www.speedventures.com/ You can have instructors ride along with you for training and rent garage spaces there, too, which I highly recommend to give yourself some shade between runs. I've also taken a previous car I had (LS swapped '84 Trans Am) to Big willow through Open Track Racing http://www.opentrackracing.com/ and had a good experience with them, too.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when running a motor, like autocross, I would recommend an oil catch can, oil cooler,and maybe a powersteering cooler. A cooler for the trans if its an automatic. This is cheap insurance for continued play time.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow that sounds like fuuuuun! I wish we had this stuff in Georgia. I use to do trackdays on my motorcycle and loved it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocross / Road Racing in Socal