Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

PS fluid aerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PS fluid aerating

Long story short, I built a larger PS reservoir that is internally baffled and uses a vented cap. (For reference the stock cap allows system to get up to 7psi..according to TurnOne).

I'm using a new -6AN PTFE lined SS braided hose to the rack from the pump. Then new 3/8" line from rack to cooler and back to reservoir. Pump is a used PSC rebuilt unit I bought from a forum member (I also have a "new" PSC pump I can use).

I don't see any leaks from any fittings and pretty sure I bled the system. Have been driving on it for a week on the street. The pump will get pretty loud after a 15min back road drive on street tires with no high RPM situations. After such a drive I get the following bubbles in the reservoir:

Setup:

B&M Cooler location. Has 1/2" inlet/outlets. Used 1/2" NPT male to -6AN male adapter 90* to 3/8" barb.

Note:
I am using cheap Autozone PS fluid...I did so to check for leaks after installing everything so I didn't waste good fluid. Car will get Redline PS fluid. I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not since I was never able to see inside the stock reservoir. Steering feel is "normal".

My next step will be to bypass the cooler and see if aeration is still there using a double sided 3/8" barb fitting to join hoses.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looked at the car some more, this is the first time I have replaced a pump and all the lines. So i suppose it's possible I still have air in the system.

I noticed that the feed line from reservoir to pump on the LT1 makes a horizontal run then actually tilts upward to meet the pump hard line. The stock tank does not look to be THAT much higher than the pump so I'm wondering if air is still in the pump itself.

I've done the wheels off the ground engine off lock to lock yadda yadda. I might try to remove the belt, turn the pump by hand while adding some compressed air to the inlet hose in hopes to push fluid into the pump. I would like to use a fluid pump but I don't have one.

Quick Reply: PS fluid aerating