Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Need help selecting track day tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selecting track day tires

I posted this in the camaro forum as well because I know more people will see it there, but

Hey guys, I have done some research, both here and on other sites but I am not coming up with the exact answer I need.

So I do track days with my 2002 SS. In all my previous track days I have used a 255/45/18 on all 4 corners.

I bought a set of 17 inch ss wheels to use just for track days. I am getting ready to get a set of Toyo Proxes r888 (I found a really good deal). I am definitely going with 275/40/17 on the back. My question is, should I go with 255 or 275 on the front?

I know that with the 275 up front, it will feel heavier in the curves and might get a little swimming feeling over bumps/rough spots. With 255 on the front, I have had some under-steer and over-steer. I drive pretty aggressive, but I pretty much have to to keep up with all the millionaires with their Ferrari's and Porsche's.

My car is lowered but from what I have read, I still shouldn't have any clearance problems.

If anyone actually has track experience with a 275 on the front, please share your opinion. Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Good question. These cars were designed to be run with a square setup from the factory and I find that keeping the same tire dimensions in the rear and the front really help in keeping the car neutral. I'm actually running 315 R888's in the front and back and I love how the car handles. I too drive pretty aggressive and the car rotates quite easily while not having to fight it.

Plus if you run a square setup you can rotate tires and make them last a little longer
Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Good question. These cars were designed to be run with a square setup from the factory and I find that keeping the same tire dimensions in the rear and the front really help in keeping the car neutral. I'm actually running 315 R888's in the front and back and I love how the car handles. I too drive pretty aggressive and the car rotates quite easily while not having to fight it.

Plus if you run a square setup you can rotate tires and make them last a little longer
That makes sense. thanks for the reply. how do you like the r888's? I hear they heat cycle out pretty quickly, but since mine will only be used for track days, I think they should be okay.

do 315s rub bad?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sike-o
That makes sense. thanks for the reply. how do you like the r888's? I hear they heat cycle out pretty quickly, but since mine will only be used for track days, I think they should be okay.

do 315s rub bad?
No rubbing at all, probably due to the offsets of my custom wheels. As for the tires I love them. I have over 5000 street and track miles and they're hardly worn. I do mostly autocross so my fastest runs are often my last ones since the R888's only come alive when they're nice and hot.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a 275/40/17 Nitto NT01 and run it all around. You want same size tires front and rear. These are heavy cars, they need as much tires as you can get. I prefer the Nitto NT01 over the R888. The Nitto will last longer and yeild similar times. It is not as sensitive to heat cycles and is typically good down to the chords. The R888 turn to crap pretty quickly on track. It is not highly regarded among track oriented tires.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Get a 275/40/17 Nitto NT01 and run it all around. You want same size tires front and rear. These are heavy cars, they need as much tires as you can get. I prefer the Nitto NT01 over the R888. The Nitto will last longer and yeild similar times. It is not as sensitive to heat cycles and is typically good down to the chords. The R888 turn to crap pretty quickly on track. It is not highly regarded among track oriented tires.
Thanks for the info. I looked at the NT01 but I found a really good deal on the r888. I'm going to give them a shot for this track day season. I hear great things on the NT01. If I don't absolutely love the R888, I will try the NT01 next time.

I went ahead and ordered four 275 r888. I'll let you all know what I think about them soon.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting track day tires