Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road Race/track day/weekend cruiser brake options

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Race/track day/weekend cruiser brake options

I'm working on my Lt1 again after ignoring it for the past few years. I have a full umi/strano/Koni suspension and I am currently reassessing my brake upgrade decisions. I recently purchased new lightweight forged wheels. They are TSW Nurburgring rims. 18x9 front and 18x10.5 rear. They came with a set of Hoosier A7 tires 295/30/18 on all four rims. I will be removing these tires and installing something a bit more street able, but still sticky . Now, I have a brand new (older style) 2 piston 13" Baer track kit for the front. Would this kit be worth running for track or would I be better off with a CTSV 4 piston setup? Ideas?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

honestly even with owning the ctsv brakes, if i had a "free" 13" 2 piston id run those. would be alot lighter for sure. the 14" SS rotors alone weigh 50 lbs and requiring machining to fit.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was originally looking into to CTSV upgrade, i was going to use the c6 z06 rotors, which iirc do not require machining. Either way, I absolutely understand what you are saying. This kit is paid for already, but if I did sell it...I'm sure I could get a good chunk of the way to the CTSV setup. However, you did make another good point, weight. Obviously less is better, but would I be giving up much in the baking force or heat mitigation? I don't know.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will probably run nt01 or nt05 tires, fwiw.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess this Baer Claw Track dual piston brake package is essentially a c4 caliper set with 13" rotors.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batman
When I was originally looking into to CTSV upgrade, i was going to use the c6 z06 rotors, which iirc do not require machining. Either way, I absolutely understand what you are saying. This kit is paid for already, but if I did sell it...I'm sure I could get a good chunk of the way to the CTSV setup. However, you did make another good point, weight. Obviously less is better, but would I be giving up much in the baking force or heat mitigation? I don't know.
that is true but the c6z rotors are a waist with ctsv calipers/pads
the z rotors are designed for short long pads ie a narrow rotor surface, the CTSV and SS stuff are designed for tall short/narrow pads. ie if you use the C6Z rotors your pads will hang over the edge and you wont be getting using all the surface and giving up braking, youll also get some crazy pad and rotor wear.

i only use about 25% to maybe 50% in hairpins of the ctsv 4 pistons braking power.

id run what you got and throw on these for good measure (i run them)
http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...tekibc0aonlke0
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Those brakes will be fine for track day duty. Just make sure you use a good pad with them.

Quick Reply: Road Race/track day/weekend cruiser brake options