Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Accusump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accusump?

I'm going to be road racing my car and I'm wondering how well the F body LS1 oil pan is baffled. Is an Accusump needed?

Thanks
Ben
Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Teching In

I run one on my C5. I don't know the difference of a C5 or a Fbody pan. I would say that you might want to get one if you are getting serious into tracking your car and if your car has some stick around the corners.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run 7qts in it, and check the level every session. run it under that, and expect to lose a bearing. 5.5 is danger zone. 6 is ~, and 7 is just right.

No need for an accusump on weekend warriors
Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm...I will have megastick (car is an RX7 w/LS1 on huge tires) and it'll be used for the One Lap of America race where breakdowns pretty much spell doom.

Thanks for the replies
Ben
Old 12-03-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Listen to Louis ... he has a little experience road racing an LS1 based car.

I run 7 qts without an issue. My car has 80K miles ...

To answer your question, the LS1 pan is baffled, but prone to oil starving when the oil level gets down below 6qts. It is particularly vulnerable on long left hand sweepers where the oil can escape the baffle from around the oil level sensor "hole".
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

I have an accusump

But I'm totally paranoid about my engine. I don't even autox - just drag race. I've got a delay timer so the engine is always pre-lubed when it starts. Oil tests show a significant improvement in wear...

http://ls1m.com/accusump/

Never finished the site after I remounted it. Couldn't find a better place, so it's tucked up between the crank pulley & radiator bottom. Necessary? Probably not at my level. Worth the peace of mind, though.

-Mark
Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

If you are running 1 lap, the tires are not that sticky as compared to a hoosier or Toyo Proxes T1s. On top of that, you get what, 4 laps per little session? 8 laps total at any given track?

Not enough to need it IMO.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

I was under the impression that the F and Y bodies used slightly different oil pans and that the Vette had a higher claimed/recommended oil capacity. Is 7 quarts cool for a stock F body pan as well, or is that going to start dragging on the crank?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Louis
If you are running 1 lap, the tires are not that sticky as compared to a hoosier or Toyo Proxes T1s. On top of that, you get what, 4 laps per little session? 8 laps total at any given track?

Not enough to need it IMO.
That sounds like pretty good advice, however, you're probably going to be driving the car in other events too, perhaps with R-compound tires, and the Accusump would be relatively cheap insurance. I've done lots of track events with other LS1/LS6s and haven't yet seen an engine failure on non-equipped cars. Still, I'm happy with my decision to install one on mine.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

Is it a bad Idea? No. Can it hurt things? No.

I feel it is a bandaid, but in some series and some situations you have no other choice.

Get it with the delay, and with the electric valve. No sense in having to deal with the manual valves
Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again. The car (RX7 with an LS1) will weigh a little over 2600 pounds and have 275/315 tires which is why I said "megastick." While I'll be using street tires for the One Lap, I do plan on running R compounds for track days.

In any case, I'll put this mod off until I notice issues with the oil pressure. Putting in 7 quarts is a whole lot easier/cheaper.

Ben
Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Teching In

I run one in my Z06 with the electric valve that discharges below 20 psi. Also works great as a pre-oiler.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the Accusump as a pre oiler, then when you flip the switch to fill it up again does the oil pressure drop enough to make the engine knock. The only one that I have ever seen had a manual valve and when the valve was opened to pressure the sump, it knocked. Is this normal or just an engine with bad bearings?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racecar
If you use the Accusump as a pre oiler, then when you flip the switch to fill it up again does the oil pressure drop enough to make the engine knock. The only one that I have ever seen had a manual valve and when the valve was opened to pressure the sump, it knocked. Is this normal or just an engine with bad bearings?
I've never experienced that. Mine has the electric valve so it refills automatically. I turn on the ignition, flip the switch to pre-oil, then start the car - no knock ever.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I've run six SCCA races in a 2002 Camaro and blown three engines. All three have spun rod bearings and thrown rods. I shift at 6000 rpm, use Mobil 1 oil and use GM or Federal Mogul bearings. Same failure with "crate" motor and "blueprinted" engine.
The SCCA does not allow Accusumps in my class, if your class does, run one!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Racer5.0
I've run six SCCA races in a 2002 Camaro and blown three engines. All three have spun rod bearings and thrown rods. I shift at 6000 rpm, use Mobil 1 oil and use GM or Federal Mogul bearings. Same failure with "crate" motor and "blueprinted" engine.
The SCCA does not allow Accusumps in my class, if your class does, run one!
No Accusumps in T2?? I know they're allowed in T1. Time to petition for some rule changes! Its not like it adds any performance, just protection.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

GOing to be adding an accusump too for safety.

Quick Reply: Accusump?