Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Indiana Road Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Indiana Road Racing?

Is there any good road racing tracks In Indiana that someone might know of...and please dont say Indy speed way. I have been considering moving just south of Indy.
Also usually what does it take to get into a racing league?
I have been wanting to road race competitivly for a while now, hopefully trying to have alittle fun and possibly win money out of it to pay back for everything put into it?
Thanks for any input!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putnam Park just west of Indy is pretty nice.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Looking to break even don't do it
Old 01-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Near Indy there are two road courses, Putnam Park and Indianapolis Raceway Park. Putnam is the better track of the two.

There really isn't any money to win in amateur road racing. To get into a class that you can win a small amount of money will take a dedicated race car that the cost of entry will be $100,000+.

Go road racing for the biggest thrill you can do. It's a big time adrenaline (sp?) rush.

There is an old saying. The only way get a small fortune in racing is to start with a large fortune.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speedpup
Looking to break even don't do it
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Near Indy there are two road courses, Putnam Park and Indianapolis Raceway Park. Putnam is the better track of the two.

There really isn't any money to win in amateur road racing. To get into a class that you can win a small amount of money will take a dedicated race car that the cost of entry will be $100,000+.

Go road racing for the biggest thrill you can do. It's a big time adrenaline (sp?) rush.

There is an old saying. The only way get a small fortune in racing is to start with a large fortune.
I figured that. But thought it would be amusing to ask
I have done a couple laps out at Thunder Hill in CA before, and a couple different auto x's.
I know their isnt much to be won...its more for the thrill and its a hell of a thrill at that.
But once again i thought i would ask because you never know...their could be something to win and then i could tell my wife there is a reason to put all this money into the car... so much for that
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked at Putnam's website...and the track looks nice. But it doesnt say anything about how to start out racing there.
Can you just show up on a practise day and pay to race?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Putnam does not have races. They rent the track to organizers like NASA, Porsche Club, BWM CLub, Etc. and those organizers have the races. You will need to go thru the organizers to get a race license. Check out http://www.racenasa.com for the Ohio/Indiana NASA region to find out the schedule.
If you don't have extensive track experience I would recommend you to got thru the NASA HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) program to get some seat time under you belt. Most beginners can autocross or drag race without experience. When it comes it road racing you need all of the experience as the cars are alot closer together than autox or drag racing.

How many times have you drove on a track?

When are you coming to Indiana?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jaymz,
i have some track experience. I did auto crossing a couple times, and did thunder hill once.NASA HPDE would be fun and educational and like you said great for some seat time on the course.
About going to Indiana. I plan on moving there March 2007. After i get out of the Air Force i am heading up that way to be around family and such.
Do you stay out there?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got my membership for NASA, I'll be in the Ohio/Indiana Area also. I'm already making plans for the first event at mid-ohio. I'll probably be doing HPDE1 on Saturday and Sunday. I need to find a place where I can get the Car teched to make sure everything is in good order before I get there. I'm going to do mostly HPDE's this year and get as much seat time and instruction as I can get without having to sell any major organs . Next year with Gods help I'll start competting (probably time trial and start looking for a dedicated ride for wheel to wheel). The following year I'm hoping to do wheel to wheel locally and see where I get. Look me up if you go to one of the local HPDE events.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I will be at that Mid-Ohio event too. I will be in a C5 Vette Racecar #52. Look me up.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I will be at that Mid-Ohio event too. I will be in a C5 Vette Racecar #52. Look me up.
Will do. If I ever get my car ready. I'm making a trip to detroit tomorrow to pick up a set of New Koni DA Shocks that bought online. I'm hoping to get those installed next weekend. I have a cam comming but I'm affraid that is going to have to wait until mid summer, hopefully everything else that I planned for this year will be done in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to shake down the car at Nelson Ledges on either April 14 & 15 Fundayz.

Quick Reply: Indiana Road Racing?