Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tru-trac on the street???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tru-trac on the street???

i'm considering running an eaton posi unit in my new moser 12 bolt but the merchant i'm buying from (thunderracing.com) also offers the tru-trac posi along side the eaton - my question is, how does the tru-trac perform on a daily driven car???

i know the eaton was designed to be a street/race type so it won't give me any issues, but i'm hearing some really good things about the tru-trac when it comes to racing.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a fan of clutched type differentials, the tru-trac seems to be helical which will be smooth, and feel more OEM.

However with carbon fiber clutched differentials you still attain that smoothness with more reliable/consistent locking coupled with a much higher initial torque.

I have personally seen carbon setups perform better on road race applications.

Here's a ok read on carbon diffs:

http://www.carbonetic.net/products/carbonlsd.html#

Many OEM diffs are now coming with Carbon clutched LSDs as compared to the old helical geared and viscous LSDs
Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattmartindrift
I'm a fan of clutched type differentials, the tru-trac seems to be helical which will be smooth, and feel more OEM.

However with carbon fiber clutched differentials you still attain that smoothness with more reliable/consistent locking coupled with a much higher initial torque.

I have personally seen carbon setups perform better on road race applications.

Many OEM diffs are now coming with Carbon clutched LSDs as compared to the old helical geared and viscous LSDs
Do all of the Nippon carbon clutch pack diff manufacturers also REQUIRE the use of mineral based gears oils (like Eaton does), or have they found a way to allow synthetics to be used??
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

MOST still require a mineral based oil. not all, but most.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Do all of the Nippon carbon clutch pack diff manufacturers also REQUIRE the use of mineral based gears oils (like Eaton does), or have they found a way to allow synthetics to be used??

I run the carbonetics metal LSD (18 plate, 120 lb/ft initial torque) in my car and I use their oil, i'm pretty certain it's a mineral oil, however, i'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it differs between metal and carbon setups either.

Mine is metal, it grabs extremely hard, and sounds like I have a broken axle every time I make a slow, tight turn.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mattmartindrift

I like the comparison graphs between their carbon fiber and metal clutched LDS's. I wouldn't have guessed that carbon fiber would last so long. Too bad they make LSD's for every manufacturer except Ford and GM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
I like the comparison graphs between their carbon fiber and metal clutched LDS's. I wouldn't have guessed that carbon fiber would last so long. Too bad they make LSD's for every manufacturer except Ford and GM.

Yeah, the carbon stuff lasts a lonnnnnng time.

It does suck, considering there's such a massive aftermarket, just look at this forum.

people need to write some letters!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Yeah, the closest we get to that stuff is the aforementioned Eaton c.f. clutchpack units, which do seem to be holding up, from what I hear.

The Nippon market does have some cool stuff for their rides (relatively low cost sequential gearboxes, these diffs, etc.). It's a shame most everything for our cars is sooo drag race oriented.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the closest we get to that stuff is the aforementioned Eaton c.f. clutchpack units, which do seem to be holding up, from what I hear.

The Nippon market does have some cool stuff for their rides (relatively low cost sequential gearboxes, these diffs, etc.). It's a shame most everything for our cars is sooo drag race oriented.

with the whole "drifting" thing, it's a good chance to write letters and show there's a market for the japanese manufacturers to make quality products for US market cars.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Launching!

It's a shame most everything for our cars is sooo drag race oriented.
Most everything for the F-Body is Drag. My project T/A the "Shock Hawk" is for AutoX and some drifting. I'd like to have the best for it. It's bad enough that everyone says the stock axle is best for road racing and I probably need a Ford 9" if I wanna drift, but now I have to settle for a steel LDS instead of a carbon fiber one?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

well, steel for drifting is actually better, I run steel.

The carbon fiber is very beneficial in road race and autoX settings because of it's smooth, progressive engagement.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Sam Strano ought to chime in here as to availability and torque ratings of the various Eaton w/steel, or Eaton w/Carbon, or the Detroit TruTrac w/gears.

He's a big fan of the Torsen gear driven race diff available for the stock rear axel.

Steve