Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

SCCA T1 and T2 Class rules????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA T1 and T2 Class rules????

OK i was reading through the rule book for the touring class and im confused.

They have the 98-02 fbody in T1 class with 275/40/17 tire size with 35mm

front and 31mm rear sway bars also frnt550lb/in rear130lb/in springs allowed

with 32xxlb weight. Then T2 class tire size is 245/50/16 with 280-300 lb/in

springs 36xx weight. The thing i dont understand is in T1 class your

competeing with vipers corvettes and porsches with bigger brakes and wider

tires not to mention for the most part more horsepower. So which class

would you race in go T2 with smaller wheels and tires near stock weight and

only coil spring changes with more competitive cars? Also it says exhaust

changes can only be from where the cats are replaced back. So no headers

allowed? Correct? So where does the car get modified to be the most

competitive? (EXCLUDE DRIVING ABILITY) I want to know more about the

modifications to the car. Also what about torque arm/ lcas/ panhard bar and

subframe connectors are a no-no???? other than the bushings...

Last edited by raffi; 09-27-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Don't know much about SCCA.. but check out NASA http://www.nasanortheast.org/
98-02 F-bodies are legal in Camaro Mustang Challenge (CMC-2) and American Iron (AI). http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html
Old 09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

I know, but where in Joizee are you??

It's a shame they could not have build the course at E Town wider, with more run off room. It would have been cool to have a usable road course that close to home!!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

IN bergen county. damn your right its tight but you know what at least they built it. buts what going on they dont update the status on then track??
Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

yea it's kind of rediculous how the scca rules f-bodies/gtos in the american sedan category. If you wish to run a 93+ F-body or 04-06 GTO you must uses GMs crappy 80s version of the 305.......

I also like how there is no place for the LT1 either. I think the SCCA is just run by a bunch of import loving ***** (just kidding so don't get your panties in a wad). But the 4th gen f-body really isn't given fair treatment in the SCCA. You think if the SCCA was smart they would have a Mustang/GTO/F-body/charger class for the modern muscle cars after the late 80s early 90s (you know when both companies started making cars that could be considered race cars compared to their previous generations)
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

The Camaro is pretty good in T2. Hopeless in T1.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

It would be a big mistake to even think of racing a fourth gen f body in t1. All touring classes are under a 10 year lifespan. So if you have an 02 f body it will be inelligible for t2 in 2012. Thats the nature of the touring classes in SCCA. American Sedan currently would force you to put in a 305 chevy with a carb and other specs as well. However the powers that be are in the process that will let in the newer ls1 t2 cars into american sedan in the near future so they will have a place to race. There isn't a lifespan on an AS car.

Yes you have a place to play in NASA currently with an F Body and a good bunch of guys too. This is where a huge debate gets involved as NASA employs a power to weight ratio based on dyno numbers that the competititor is required to supply. As opposed to AS with a very strict set of rules that in my opinion is not quite as user friendly as NASA but really separates the men from the boys. Again this is my opinion and I'm sure the NASA racers will have their view as to why they race NASA as opposed to SCCA. Whichever you choose get out there and race. SCCA? NASA? racing is racing to me and good fun will be had whichever direction you choose. The hardcore AS (american sedan) racers hang out at www.asedan.net Also, SCCA's national championship is televised in December on Speed. Want to be on tv? SCCA is your only shot for now. Not easy to get there but is very cool.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raffi
IN bergen county. damn your right its tight but you know what at least they built it. buts what going on they dont update the status on then track??
i'm right by you... and on a side note, they are building a track in south jersey as strictly a road course.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raffi
OK i was reading through the rule book for the touring class and im confused.

So where does the car get modified to be the most

competitive? (EXCLUDE DRIVING ABILITY) I want to know more about the

modifications to the car. Also what about torque arm/ lcas/ panhard bar and

subframe connectors are a no-no???? other than the bushings...

Touring classes are based upon showroom stock platforms. Showroom stock means as they came from the factory.

It is a venue whereby manufacturers can showcase their performance model cars. GM chose not to make it a priority.

Like in any racing series, a competitive team/owner has to chose their platform very carefully in order to meet their season goals. Brand loyalty has no place in the equation.

NASA, on the other hand, recognized the gap and has filled it admirably.

Camaro\Mustang Challenge (CMC) and CMC-2 is a venue for basically showroom stock cars, like in T2, but allows enough modifications to the suspension to make a good crew chief worth his salt.

American Iron takes it to the next step, allowing more HP, less weight and has opened up aero packaging, allowing the engineering side of things to show their worth.

American Iron Extreme is a place where out dated Grand AM and Trans AM cars can show up and wow the crowd.

The politics of the SCCA has turned many racers off and they have since found NASA. NASA strives to make it much simpler for the average racer to be competitive.

Quick Reply: SCCA T1 and T2 Class rules????