Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

VIR Jul 2-3 w/ Chin Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR Jul 2-3 w/ Chin Motorsports

(Mods, I'm not affiliated with Chin, just a guy that likes to run his Caddy on the track)

Anyone doing the Chin event at VIR on 2-3 July?

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/event....asp?listid=54

If you've never been to a Chin event, they are the BEST. More track time than you can realistically drive. 4 30 minute sessions each day, plus a 90 minute open track time at the end of the day. The second day they tend to combine groups to give you nearly unlimited access to the track.

For those that have never been to VIR, it is BEYOND awesome. 3.3 miles, 17 turn course, that have over 500 feet of elevation changes. There are very few places on the entire course where you can get into trouble, should you take an off-track adventure.

Chin events always sell out fast. Registration opened yesterday, and it's already half full. As of right now there are:

* for solo drivers: 27 openings remaining
* for novice drivers: 11 openings remaining

Chin does a great job at keeping the groups small. You also get so see some really cool cars. As of now there are your typical truck loads of 911 GT3's & Turbo's, C6Z06's, and BMW M Cars signed up, in addition to an '08 F430, and a Ford GT. There is nothing more fun than passing a 911 in a tank of a car like a Cadillac.

We already have 2 CTS-V's going. It would be great to some more GM muscle out there with us.

-Chris
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukk
We already have 2 CTS-V's going. It would be great to some more GM muscle out there with us.
I signed up yesterday so I'll be there in my 94 Trans Am. See you guys at the track.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
I signed up yesterday so I'll be there in my 94 Trans Am. See you guys at the track.
WOW, 315's all round....hot damn!

See you in July.

-Chris

P.S. The other guy with the CTS-V that was comming to Chin/VIR crashed his car pretty good today at Summit Point, so it looks like he may not make the trek.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

P.S. The other guy with the CTS-V that was comming to Chin/VIR crashed his car pretty good today at Summit Point, so it looks like he may not make the trek.
I take it he was OK but that does suck about the car. See you there.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it he was OK but that does suck about the car. See you there.
Ya he was fine at the track. Haven't heard from him since he got home though. His wife might have hurt him.

-Chris
Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeff,

I just noticed you are an instructor. Can I bribe you with a beer of two to do a ride along with me during open session? I can always use some more pointers . I'd also love to take a spin in your car, if it has a passenger seat that is

-Chris
Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool - I went to a CHIN event at Barber in Birmingham, took a couple of hundred pics:

http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gal...75233042_9mHeE

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhelms
Cool - I went to a CHIN event at Barber in Birmingham, took a couple of hundred pics:

http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gal...75233042_9mHeE

Sweet pictures.

Did it end up clearing up? While it is definately educational to run in the rain, it's a whole lot more fun in the dry.

Mark @ Chin runs a great event doesn't he?

-Chris
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Jeff,

I just noticed you are an instructor. Can I bribe you with a beer of two to do a ride along with me during open session? I can always use some more pointers . I'd also love to take a spin in your car, if it has a passenger seat that is

-Chris
I would be more than happy to ride with you although it may be me who is looking for the pointers. I'm an instructor and a very experienced driver but this is my first time to VIR. I've already been studying some video so give me a few laps and I'll be up to a good pace.

My car does have race seats boths sides with 5 point harnesses. You're more than welcome to go for a ride as well. My motor is bone stock except for bolt ons so she doesn't have big power but its got tremendous grip and good brakes. It surprises a lot of people.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet pictures.

Did it end up clearing up? While it is definately educational to run in the rain, it's a whole lot more fun in the dry.

Mark @ Chin runs a great event doesn't he?

-Chris
It was off and on Saturday (I didn't go Sunday).

Track stayed kind of wet, only one accident that I know of:

Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be more than happy to ride with you although it may be me who is looking for the pointers. I'm an instructor and a very experienced driver but this is my first time to VIR. I've already been studying some video so give me a few laps and I'll be up to a good pace.

My car does have race seats boths sides with 5 point harnesses. You're more than welcome to go for a ride as well. My motor is bone stock except for bolt ons so she doesn't have big power but its got tremendous grip and good brakes. It surprises a lot of people.
Sounds great. I've been to VIR half a dozen weekends, and it is such a blast.

See you there.

-Chris
Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhelms
It was off and on Saturday (I didn't go Sunday).

Track stayed kind of wet, only one accident that I know of:

Wow, if that was the only issue, that's pretty good.

2 CTS-V's got wrecked in one day at summit point shenandoah, last friday. Yikes.
Everyone was cool in the rain, but once it cleared up, a few guys pushed too hard.

-Chris
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

rain is fun I love all three tracks in the rain at summit mid ohio is fun in the rain and so is laguna secca
Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Event is in a couple of days.

I ended up renting a garage in the paddock. If anyone needs a place to store some crap, let me know.

In the end, I'll be there with my buddy Ron, (Black trailer, white E36 M3), John (another silver '05 CTS-V). and two other V owners are comming in as well.

If anyone wants to hook up for beers or whatever, swing on by, or give me a call.

443 992-2853

-Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

I had to cancel yesterday due to a family emergency. Have fun out there and be safe.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to cancel yesterday due to a family emergency. Have fun out there and be safe.
Jeff, that sucks. Hope all is well on the home front.

Catch at another event.

-Chris
Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

anyone know of any events coming up at VIR that i could join with no road race experience?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
anyone know of any events coming up at VIR that i could join with no road race experience?
Coco's list is pretty good:

http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

Looks like the next event is car guys in early august. VIR usually tends to sell out early for most events because of it's uber-awesomeness.

-Chris

Last edited by trukk; 07-07-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from some mechanical issues I had a great time (did a 7th gear shift, and toasted R, and blew an alternator). This was my first time @ VIR with hoosiers and good pads. It took a while to figure out how deep I could go.

I did get a chance to meet MikeKelley, the guy that used to run Vette's and now had a beast 996TT (moded to 650+ crank hp). One time he was comming up to pass (I hadn't seen him yet, just after the snake I think), and the corner worker was virgorously shaking the blue and orange flag. I did a double take for about a half second, as I'd never seen that before, then looked in my mirrors, and saw a black blurr coming, and got out of the way. My car is no slouch either (full induction/exhaust/cam), but his car was at another level speed wise.

I would have loved to see his car going up against that built red bull ferrarri, in a straight. I put a watch on one of the 430's laps at 2:03.

I think the best I managed (from video), was about a 2:16.

Here's a few vids of a blue group session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCFlyFA8zs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JIQ4J2N1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNlgJY-7U8

Note: all the video's might now be done processing yet.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

I would have loved to see his car going up against that built red bull ferrarri, in a straight. I put a watch on one of the 430's laps at 2:03.

-Chris
Chris

Here is Mikes Video. He passed that RB f430 in the video.

Chin VIR Footage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLQRnDHgvU

Enjoy!

Mike

Quick Reply: VIR Jul 2-3 w/ Chin Motorsports