Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Brake duct plates???

Old 09-28-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake duct plates???

I am fabbing up some brake ducts for my car and I was wondering what a good material for the plates at the brakes would be?

Is there enough air space and protection from rocks that I could make fiberglass ones, or should i still to sheet metal?

If I can work in fiberglass, which I have lots of access to, I can make myself a mold to ut together sets for anyone who wants them.

My air inlet will be the factory 98-02 fog light opening, fog lights are gtting relocated to the grill opening, and the duct will be hard plastic line off the inlet and linking to a flex line to reach towards the brakes.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-Tim
Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I am fabbing up some brake ducts for my car and I was wondering what a good material for the plates at the brakes would be?

Is there enough air space and protection from rocks that I could make fiberglass ones, or should i still to sheet metal?

If I can work in fiberglass, which I have lots of access to, I can make myself a mold to ut together sets for anyone who wants them.

My air inlet will be the factory 98-02 fog light opening, fog lights are gtting relocated to the grill opening, and the duct will be hard plastic line off the inlet and linking to a flex line to reach towards the brakes.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-Tim
I bought a set of aluminum backing plates from alan Blaine at Blaine Fabrication. He posts on FRRAX a lot. Nice units and can be custom made for F-Body, C5, C6 or aftermarket rotors.

Instead of routing expensive hose and mounting pricey NACA ducts to route air, use a pair of marine grade blowers used to ventilate inboard engine compartments. Mount them to the frame rail where the turn signal housing are. You get 300cfm all the time.

I didn't have very good luck using the Trans AM fog light holes to gather air. I had to kink the hose pretty good to clear the impact beam and you can't keep the crush section between the beam and nose.

Also, as the car travels through the air, I'm not convinced that air travels through those holes very well. Air does funny things at speed.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

As said Blaine make aluminum ones that are very nice. however If you are luck and score a ebay set of "universal Carbon fiber brake ducts", also ebay has nice carbon fiber arducts that can be cut down and 'bumper fix" glued to the fog light holes. With 3" to 3".

Works nice, looks killer and weight is low.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does Blaine have a website with all his toys on it? I see a variety of posts by him with all kinds of neat stuff, but no site link.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
Does Blaine have a website with all his toys on it? I see a variety of posts by him with all kinds of neat stuff, but no site link.
Not that I'm aware of. Just make contact. Most of his stuff is custom built.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here

http://www.quantummotorsports.com/93-02fbodykits.htm
Old 09-30-2008, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a thread on Blaine's ducts.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=10321

You can see that it seals the rotor, forcing the air through the veins.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
this is the kit i have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake duct plates???